Moparts

remote oil filters - where to mount

Posted By: Stanton

remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/08/19 06:03 PM

I hate how BB Mopar oil filters mount - you can't help but make a mess changing them. So, I plan to use dual remote filters but can't quite figure where to mount them. I want them down low a,d had thought of mounting to the inside of the frame rail below the battery but the K-member is in the way. Any opinions ?? Car is a '69 RR.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/08/19 09:40 PM

I like the BB mount. I loosen the filter a little, then wrap two small garbage bags around the filter, and then spin off. Rarely a mess if I do my part correctly.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/08/19 10:10 PM

I recently took off a dual filter set up.I put it in the drivers side wheelwell up high behind the headlight.Still have it laying in the garage..........

Attached picture 6.16.13 009.jpg
Posted By: cudatom

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/08/19 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
I like the BB mount. I loosen the filter a little, then wrap two small garbage bags around the filter, and then spin off. Rarely a mess if I do my part correctly.

Exactly how I have done it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/08/19 10:30 PM

How about mounting it to the front sub frame between the notch in the K member scope
That should add some oil cooling being down that low and still high enough to not be hurt from speed bumps work up
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/08/19 11:28 PM

The longer the lines, the more important it is to use only big fittings and port the housing. The inside of some of those castings is really crude, you'll know immediately where it needs work. I'm surprised more shops don't offer this as a service, low precision (1mm is good enough to make a difference), just a good grasp of where the fluid wants to go. I port my oil pump bodies too.
With the extra time delay for OP to reach the whirly bits, I'd like to see a small number before the "W" in the oil. I'm running 5W40 (instead of factory 10W30). Yes, it slows down the hot idle speed slightly (think of an electric fan in a bathtub filled with Jello instead of water), and I may have lost a HP or 5. My peace of mind is worth it!
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 12:25 PM

That is a big waste of money, time and also adds unessecary weight.

The 80s called and want thier dual remote filter setup back.

Planning on running a cool can too? : p
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
The longer the lines, the more important it is to use only big fittings and port the housing. The inside of some of those castings is really crude, you'll know immediately where it needs work. I'm surprised more shops don't offer this as a service, low precision (1mm is good enough to make a difference), just a good grasp of where the fluid wants to go. I port my oil pump bodies too.
With the extra time delay for OP to reach the whirly bits, I'd like to see a small number before the "W" in the oil. I'm running 5W40 (instead of factory 10W30). Yes, it slows down the hot idle speed slightly (think of an electric fan in a bathtub filled with Jello instead of water), and I may have lost a HP or 5. My peace of mind is worth it!

This should read "the longer the lines the more you have wasted money, time and space. This modification is less effective than fuzzy dice"

Lol i will stop now.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
That is a big waste of money, time and also adds unessecary weight.

The 80s called and want thier dual remote filter setup back.

Planning on running a cool can too? : p

sometimes it is necessary to move the filter as it gets crowded in that area. I understand your sarcasim, but sometimes it is a lot easier to move it to a more accessible spot.

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 01:56 PM

Cool can arrived last week and the fuzzy dice are en route as we speak - this thing should fly !!!
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 01:59 PM

I USE the Peterson remote mount with the pump on top. You add one line from the pan to the remote mount and you can prelube your engine before start up. It pricey , but I prelube my engine with a cordless drill everytime I roll it out of the trailer.

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 02:51 PM

FWIW I remover the Moroso 3 qt accumulator and the duel filter deal almost 2 years ago when I went on a Lee La Lane diet and lost a total of 200 lbs.

Attached picture 9.19.17 011.jpg
Attached picture 8.26.17 011.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 06:15 PM

I went the other way with my stuff and now I use the mini oil filter from Dodge. It fits better with plenty of room around it and it is easy to change without making a mess.

Attached picture DSC_3675 (Large).JPG

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 09:23 PM

Hemi-itis ...

Attached picture IMG_1178.JPG
Posted By: jcc

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/09/19 09:25 PM

This works for me as I also have rear mounted oil cooler and accusump. Make for vey easy/clean oil filter changes.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...ay-protour-practice-car.html#Post1553876

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/10/19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by jcc
This works for me as I also have rear mounted oil cooler and accusump. Make for vey easy/clean oil filter changes.

That looks like alotta UNneeded weight work
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/10/19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis
Originally Posted by jcc

LOL... your talking weight and your running a big heavy blower in a street rod.. myself
I mount the filter where ever its easy to get at on my SB junk.. I'll take the extra
weight on my street stuff... even on my BB 38 street rod I moved it up to the front
so it was easy to get at and I do use big lines on it
wave
Posted By: jcc

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/10/19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis
Originally Posted by jcc

I agree, all weight is bad, but the real difference in position is 16' (8' + 8') of #10 braided hose, plus the benefit to me for road race track car, its all low, and its all towards the rear for improved balance.

Everything is a compromise.

Re: remote oil filters - where to mount - 10/10/19 01:36 PM

There's no point in running lines any bigger than the opening in the fittings.
© 2024 Moparts Forums