Moparts

Powder coat motor plate?

Posted By: Quickrunner

Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 03:55 PM

Any one done this? Any issues with sealing? Powder coat cracking around bolt holes?
Posted By: 451Guy

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 03:58 PM

I polished and then clear powder coated mine. I had a heck of a time getting it to seal up after. Ended up using the gasket as a template and then ground away the powder coat so sealant had something to stick to.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 04:08 PM

Never had an issue with sealing or cracking with powder coating a motorplate. We do it all the time, just looks better. We also have anodized them with zero issues.
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 05:11 PM

I was thinking anodize would seal better, but everything will match with the powder.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 05:36 PM

Mine is powdercoated. So far, zero issues.

Attached picture MotovatorSept19-5.jpg
Posted By: Tig

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 06:44 PM

After powder coating, we couldn't get the water pump housing to seal for any length of time. It also cracked the powder coat around the mounting brackets , chipped on the edges when we dropped stuff like spanners and vac pumps on it. Looked scruffy after a while. Just have a polished one now.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 06:51 PM

Mine is powdercoated...no problems.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/08/19 07:46 PM

right stuff .. it will seal, hard to get apart later however grin
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/10/19 06:30 PM

Ultra Grey silicone works for me.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/11/19 01:51 AM

I've never felt that powder coating was a fits-em-all coating solution. Not a big fan of it in race car applications depending on what the part is and what it does. Other coating processes make more sense.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/11/19 03:42 PM

Just dropped off dragster motor plate yesterday to get done. Oh yeah valve covers and valley plate too.
Posted By: challenger451ci

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/12/19 02:31 PM

Mine is Power Coated with no issues. I used Sand-Tex finish. It has a slight texture to it which I felt would allow the sealer to bite a bite. Not sure if it helps or hurts, but no issues sealing with Great Stuff RTV. Fair amount of street driving too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/12/19 07:13 PM

Both my mid plate and front motor plate where black anodized when I got the car, I talked to a older tech from Power master this morning( he was catching up on tech calls up)that I had left a message from this past Thursday about what size(gauge) wire to use on my car with one of their 100 amp single wire after burning up the single #10 I had used originally by accidently grounding out the charging lug on the alternator at the Mopar race at Sacramento last month whiney
He said to use a #4 cable directly to the battery and make sure and use a #4 ground from the threaded grounding hole in the alternator back to a threaded hole the engine block to ground the alternator do to the anodizing being a insulator and a bad conductor for the ground from the alternator shock work
I'm going to do that this winter to see if I can get rid of some ignition gremlins I've had with this car luck
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/12/19 11:55 PM

This topic came up on one of the FB car groups I read, the question was why a good majority of Japanese shops don't paint their motors and accessories. I worked in a couple of shops in Japan and the answer was for a couple of reasons.

1) Paint interferes with grounds.
2) If the paint is thick between bolted parts, it can crack, chip and fall away making the parts loose especially if mounting bosses are painted. . If the car is going racing, they won't paint anything , they will polish a lot of parts though.

One pretty famous tuner there also swears that painted motors run hotter according to what he saw on his engine dyno.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/13/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Uberpube
T

One pretty famous tuner there also swears that painted motors run hotter according to what he saw on his engine dyno.

Years ago, early to mid 1970s, I use to see a lot of NHRA Modified Production racers with bare heads and blocks, some Super Stock cars from east of the Rockies Mountains also work Depending on the type and viscosity of the paint will determine how god or bad it seals up the cast iron and aluminum work
I had one TM7 intake and one set of cast aluminum BB valve covers powder coated black, they ran so dang hot and wouldn't cool down quickly I never did that again realcrazy
That black plastic powder coating really held the heat in those parts, NOT GOOD tsk
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/13/19 05:12 PM

Again, I'm not a fan of powder on race car parts.

I wouldn't use it on engine parts. I paint iron blocks, for appearance and rust concerns, but I don't go crazy with it.

For everything else, you spend the time to make stuff fit nice, keep your tolerances tight, fasteners fit the holes, rod ends fit in brackets, assemblies fit mounts. Then put a thick coating of powder on stuff and nothing fits, So you grind, drill, ream, etc., to fix grounds, fits, tight holes, etc. It's OK for some things, but most of this stuff I prefer paint or nothing.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Powder coat motor plate? - 10/13/19 09:34 PM

I don't think I'd powder coat a motor plate but that doesn't mean it won't work. I think it is just up to you and what look you are going for.
© 2024 Moparts Forums