Moparts

Scratched bore reassembling shortblock

Posted By: 71Pan

Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 08:37 PM

Number 4 cylinder oil retaining ring scratch cylinder. Pulled piston rehoned gonna try it what do you guys think about .001 deep .Every thing fresh ughhhhh

Attached picture 20191003_162701.jpg
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 08:52 PM

is that a crack???
Posted By: squirrel

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 08:53 PM

that's a crack
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 08:56 PM

Holy Batcrack Robin!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 08:57 PM

Gouge, crack, whatever... not good.

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 09:05 PM

not a crack block just magged
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by krautrock
is that a crack???

I would agree...scratches usually are straight as a string...cracks not so much
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 09:12 PM

Unless you dropped something harder then the bore in it, it does lookie like buttcrack, buttman.

UMMM did you by chance file your own rings?
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 09:19 PM

That is a crack - no doubt time for a sleeve
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 09:48 PM

I will take your word for it and assume that is not a crack.

It looks like there is some flashing over the edge of the scratch making it appear as a crack though? I can see the skipping of the ring in the gouge after looking close at your picture. I have ran bores that were pitted pretty good but never a long, horizontal wound like that. What kind of ring are you using? Can you hone it another thou and make it go away completely?

How much hp are we talking?

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 10:29 PM

its not a crack the thing everyone thinks is a crack is actually standing proud. The pic was before i remove piston and rehoned

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 10:31 PM

C A rings plama moly standard tension 416 360-1 head ported 266 @50 .637 cam 500 vert 4.10 gear hp should be 600 to 625
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 10:36 PM

It looks like a crack to me, you can use heat to make sure. I've used heat guns, hair dryers, propane torches to help identify cracks in cast iron, apply heat and watch closely to see if it moves, grows or change how it looks scope
Way better to find out now before reassembling it work
BTW, if it was sticking above the cylinder wall, what would cause that work shruggy It should have flatten out with the honing unless you use a dingle berry hone work shruggy

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 10:55 PM

The block sonic tested well over .200 in that area dont know how i would .have cracked the wall tapping a piston in.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 11:15 PM

Get it magnafluxed, then you'll know for sure.

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/03/19 11:18 PM

k just had it magged and cooked before new ring and bearings
Posted By: Mopar Sam

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 12:54 AM

Hone it and run it. Less area there than in your ring gap.You ought to see what dirt track guys run.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 12:57 AM

I missed the mag post. Doh.

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 02:33 AM

Yep, run it.

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by 71Pan
The block sonic tested well over .200 in that area don't know how I would .have cracked the wall tapping a piston in.
No way in the world that you could have caused that crack, NO WAY tskshruggy
I've assembled more than one motor, I see straight scratches in the new honed cylinder a lot from me not getting the file to fit ring ends smooth enough to not scratch the cylinder walls, none of them have ever looked like your does confuseds
Me thinks your shop did not mag that cylinder wall, take it back and have them look at it now to be safe scope twocents
I've had several good auto Hi Po machine shops in SO CA miss external cracks on several different 906 heads that where cracked under the exhaust ports, most shops do a lot more other brands than BB Mopars and neither one was aware that those freeze cracks are not uncommon on 906 heads rant shruggy

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 03:16 AM

um I mag my own stuff at my friends shop that has been building my motors and my fathers motors for over 45 years. So no i did not miss this. I have assembled alot of motors and made a mistake. Thanx for alll the opinions WOW

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 08:14 AM

Let us know what it runs once you have it back together!
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 71Pan
um I mag my own stuff at my friends shop that has been building my motors and my fathers motors for over 45 years. So no i did not miss this. I have assembled alot of motors and made a mistake. Thanx for alll the opinions WOW

So what does it look like after the hone?

Kevin
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/04/19 10:17 PM

71Pan- I don't think anyone was talking down to you. People were just giving you their best advice based on their experiences and we all have a little passion around this type of stuff. Please report back what you find and how it goes. Good Luck!

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/05/19 12:25 PM

Thanx bore looks pretty good. Motor together
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/05/19 01:24 PM

did that myself once on a 318 Magnum, somehow the skinny lower rail on an oil ring got folded over.... soon as piston cleared the ring compressor and wouldn't move I went "ohhh $#!t..." took it back and had it re evaluated at machine shop, they honed it out and said "run it".... but I'm afraid to... that was 10 years ago and that bare block is still sitting unused.... gonna get it bored and buy matching pistons to the new bore when it gets used.... 0.007" bore to piston clearance on that one hole seems too much (I don't have forged pistons and this engine isn't being built to crazy enough power levels to need them)

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/05/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
did that myself once on a 318 Magnum, somehow the skinny lower rail on an oil ring got folded over.... soon as piston cleared the ring compressor and wouldn't move I went "ohhh $#!t..." took it back and had it re evaluated at machine shop, they honed it out and said "run it".... but I'm afraid to... that was 10 years ago and that bare block is still sitting unused.... gonna get it bored and buy matching pistons to the new bore when it gets used.... 0.007" bore to piston clearance on that one hole seems too much (I don't have forged pistons and this engine isn't being built to crazy enough power levels to need them)

Have the skirt coated on one piston, call it good.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/06/19 12:57 PM

I wouldn't fret much over being a couple thou over size in the bore. Will change your ring gap more than anything else.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/08/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Sam
Hone it and run it. Less area there than in your ring gap.You ought to see what dirt track guys run.

iagree

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/08/19 05:31 PM

Thanks for posting motor back together,This the first motor ever i didnt total assembly my self heads valve springs etc. I found 1 guess 939 springs i guess on the heads. The box listed 936 spring Difference 130lb at 1.950 370 @1.350= 936 sprngs on motor are 145 @1950 426 at 1.9250 I guess 939 both 1,538 odi break cam in without inner springs and Amzoil br oil. Everything went great.I bought head fully ported 360-1 heads by BGR Called Bob abut heads he had flow numbers about heads t he motor was built by BGR racing,Long story short to motor to my guy flowed heads and put crank connecting rods
s bore honed assembleds heads etc. put whole motor together. Had indy rocker on motor and could not keep lash. Just set valves took it out starting popping at 6900. Number on rocker pushed out adjuster flatten cam, cam 271 @ 50 637 lift used aszoil oil. Going with tool steel lifters 266 @ 50 cam .637motor is 11.66 to one buying HS rockers also.Going back to doing everything spring height assembly EVERYTHING, Been doing thin for 35 years , Some thing my father told me i did to due always, Cleanliness Patience and measure everything TWICE . My fault fault for not following procedure

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/08/19 11:08 PM

Would you please post another picture of that scratch in that cylinder after running it work
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Scratched bore reassembling shortblock - 10/09/19 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Would you please post another picture of that scratch in that cylinder after running it work

That would be very interesting and educational
© 2024 Moparts Forums