Moparts

Bonehead move of the week !!

Posted By: Torquemonster440

Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 01:51 AM

Hey guys, well... I accidentally shifted my 727 from 2nd to low at about 5k rpm !! The car bounced and heaved pretty violently until I reacted and pushed it back into second.. so violently that my fan made contact with my plastic shroud and broke a piece off !! bawling I just hope I didn't damage anything internally [the rear sprag]... After safely pulling off the road and I paced around the car for a minute wanting to kick my own ass for brain farting and doing something so stupid. Nothing leaking under the car, starts and drives like normal, I just hope I didn't damage any other parts. Any recommendations on how to proceed ? Did I get lucky ? or....should I have the trans looked at just to be safe ? Any advice is appreciated.. Thanks.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 02:04 AM

If it was me the transmission would come out and torn apart. Close inspection of the case checking for cracks would also be done. Then a good check of transmission mounts and engine mounts
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 02:04 AM

Manual low applies the low/reverse band which enforces (backs-up) the low roller one-way, thus putting less stress on the low-roller assembly. I wouldn't worry much about the transmission. I would be more concerned about the engine.

What rpm did it hit when you downshifted?

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 02:07 AM

I don't know.. maybe 6,500 ? It scared the everlovin be-jesus outta me.. Surprisingly, I didnt hear any loud bangs or pops.. like a mechanical failure. Still scary as hell.. the rear end hopping and skipping ..what a DUNCE !!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 02:25 AM

If you glazed the clutches or band they could or will slip. But what do I know.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 02:27 AM

What valve body are you running?
I don't like low band apply manual valve body for that reason work

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What valve body are you running?
I don't like low band apply manual valve body for that reason work

Stock valve body.. I want to upgrade to a non LBA valve body soon.. I really cat explain why I pulled the shifter into low instead of high.. just a dunce move. confused
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 03:38 AM

If the car has oil pressure, idles normally, and has good & consistent leak-down numbers IMHO the engine is safe. If you bent a valve it would affect CCP immediately.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 03:42 AM

Id go test drive/thrash, id bet your gonna be ok.

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
If the car has oil pressure, idles normally, and has good & consistent leak-down numbers IMHO the engine is safe. If you bent a valve it would affect CCP immediately.

Yep, gonna do a compression check tomorrow.. potentially a leak down if I find any discrepancies. I'll check back with results. Initially I was more concerned with the trans. I just hate damaging something over a stupid mistake. Hopefully I was lucky and only need to replace the shroud.

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 05:21 AM

Something doesn't seem right about your tranny, no stock valve body should be able to engage low gear form second or high gear above 4500 RPM or above something is goofy work
I have done similar, shifted 3rd to reverse at the end of a 1/4 ,mile trying to shift it into neutral in one of the old NHRA hemi stocker, it went into neutral and then started to rev up engaging reverse making the rear end almost lock up, I pulled the stock comsole shifter back out of reverse and managed to get it into 2nd and then shoved it back into high gear, what a cluster frick that was blushrealcrazy
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 05:25 AM

when I did that with the 383 engine, I slightly bent 3 valves. It seemed to run OK, but not the same.

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 01:22 PM

Something doesn't seem right about your tranny, no stock valve body should be able to engage low gear form second or high gear above 4500 RPM or above something is goofy work
I have done similar, shifted 3rd to reverse at the end of a 1/4 ,mile trying to shift it into neutral in one of the old NHRA hemi stocker, it went into neutral and then started to rev up engaging reverse making the rear end almost lock up, I pulled the stock comsole shifter back out of reverse and managed to get it into 2nd and then shoved it back into high gear, what a cluster frick that was blushrealcrazy

Im not even sure if it actually engaged low gear.. it just bucked and heaved pretty violently.. I dont actually recall the RPM going sky high, but it all happend so fast. It does have a "shift kit" in it.. other than that I believe the trans is stock. I do have a tci outlaw shifter and a tci deep aluminium pan.

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 451Mopar
when I did that with the 383 engine, I slightly bent 3 valves. It seemed to run OK, but not the same.

Man... I really hope that's not the case.. I'm gonna run a compression check and see if I find any inconsistencies.. if I do, I'll run a leak down on it...

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 451Mopar

Update: just ran a compression check:

#8 155. #7 155
#6 165. #5 155
#4 165 #3 160
#2 165 #1 155

I think I may have dodged a bullet.. I took it for a nice "easy" spin around the block, all felt normal.. those psi numbers look within spec to me. The discrepancy between #1 and #2 is a 6-7% fluctuation.Do you think a leakdown would still be necessary?

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemonster440
[quote=451Mopar]

I think I may have dodged a bullet.. I took it for a nice "easy" spin around the block, all felt normal.. those psi numbers look within spec to me. Do you think a leakdown would still be necessary?

If it is hurt, the motor don't know it in the combustion chambers, do it grin
AKA, your good on that part up
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 05:49 PM

Drop the trans pan and see what, if any, sort of junk might be floating around down there. A little black sludge in the corners is normal. Do the bands and change the fluid/filter - wouldn't hurt to look. If you don't have a magnet in the pan then add one; more cheap insurance to keep any iron out of the fluid.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 06:08 PM

727s are pretty tough. I put one in reverse going about 100 mph one night and it was fine, drove it two more years without any issues.

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemonster440
[quote=451Mopar]

I think I may have dodged a bullet.. I took it for a nice "easy" spin around the block, all felt normal.. those psi numbers look within spec to me. Do you think a leakdown would still be necessary?

If it is hurt, the motor don't know it in the combustion chambers, do it grin
AKA, your good on that part up

Ok.. I ran a leak down on all the 155psi range cylinders.. #'s 1,5,7 and 8.. coincidentally, they are some of the easiest to get to also.. they all checked in the green"low range".. #1 being the worst at around 30% leakage the rest were around the 15-20% range. I'm pretty confident I didnt bend any valves. I suspect #1 showing more leakage than the others because of some slight pitting in that cylinder toward the top of the bore. That was my fault, when I did the head swap I broke some of the head bolts loose and then stopped.. for like 2 days, water got into that cylinder and formed some very slight pits.. I know.. another knuckle head move !! But, I think I'm in the clear as far as bent valves go.

Re: Bonehead move of the week !! - 09/30/19 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sixpak
Drop the trans pan and see what, if any, sort of junk might be floating around down there. A little black sludge in the corners is normal. Do the bands and change the fluid/filter - wouldn't hurt to look. If you don't have a magnet in the pan then add one; more cheap insurance to keep any iron out of the fluid.

That's a good suggestion, I will do that. Thanks. And, my pan does have a magnet, I'm curious to check it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums