Moparts

old Purple shaft identification

Posted By: Moparnut426

old Purple shaft identification - 09/26/19 02:31 PM

Im going through Dads old 440 from his charger, Im trying to identify the cam, ZERO markings on it, but the entire shaft is purple, and there is a single yellowish/white stripe on the butt end of it.

I dont know how to measure it to spec it out, I cant remember from college how to do so, that was like 20 years ago LOL

any info is appreciated...
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: old Purple shaft identification - 09/26/19 02:45 PM

The very oldest ones like yours really need to be measured.

The paint dot/stripe markings on them, although documented by Mopar many years ago (never
published publicly) have been proven wrong time and time again. By the time I came across the 6th or 7th
one that had specs that didn't match the paint codes, that was enough for me.

Later ones have engraved markings and are easier.

The easiest way to do it is put it back in the motor, with one lifter set up a degree wheel and an indicator,
and measure lift and duration.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: old Purple shaft identification - 09/26/19 03:04 PM

Excellent info

Thank you
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: old Purple shaft identification - 09/26/19 03:46 PM

Usually just knowing the lift is all you need to figure out what you have, since they all have different lifts.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: old Purple shaft identification - 09/26/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Usually just knowing the lift is all you need to figure out what you have, since they all have different lifts.

iagree Just throw a dial caliper on the lobe...measure the base circle and then the top of the lobe. Subtract the base from the lobe, then multiply by 1.5 = lift.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: old Purple shaft identification - 09/26/19 04:11 PM

How can you distinguish between a hydraulic cam and a solid cam. I have a couple purple shaft small block cams I plotted out in a old block that I would like to sell then moved on to another project I never finished
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: old Purple shaft identification - 09/26/19 04:12 PM

Like Dwayne said...if you could figure the lift on it, it'd be pretty easy to determine which cam it was.
As for looking at a cam and telling if it was a solid or hydraulic...I dunno. I'm sure some may know a way, but I don't.
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: old Purple shaft identification - 09/27/19 02:40 AM

Once you determine the lift, you'll know whether its a solid or juice cam. Measure across the nose of the lobe, then the base circle. Multiply the difference by 1.5. Every purple shaft grind has a different lift, so just match the numbers and you'll be golden.
© 2024 Moparts Forums