Moparts

904 CSR Shield install?

Posted By: RTSE4ME

904 CSR Shield install? - 09/23/19 03:23 PM

Installing a CSR shield and my direct mount Lokar dipstick doesn't clear.
Any ideas before I start cutting ? Called Lokar and they don't have anything that is lockable that works.

Attached picture csr.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/23/19 04:14 PM

I’ve used the stock tubes over the years and have had to make minor mods to them. Not a big deal
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/23/19 07:45 PM

I went through this too about a year. After calling Locar I decided that I would not be buying
Anything else from them.

I made a plug for the case and made a little chamber on the back of the trans pan with a -12
Bung for a fill/sight plug. The right side trans tunnel comes off easy in this car.

Attached picture 473.jpeg
Attached picture 465.jpeg
Attached picture 466.jpeg
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/23/19 07:53 PM

Thats pretty slick ,good job

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/23/19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Just-a-dart
I went through this too about a year. After calling Locar I decided that I would not be buying
Anything else from them.

I made a plug for the case and made a little chamber on the back of the trans pan with a -12
Bung for a fill/sight plug. The right side trans tunnel comes off easy in this car.

That is a really neat solution. My trans tunnel comes off easily. Thanks for the idea.
Shame the Lokar dipstick doesn't work since it was expensive.

Attached picture inside.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/24/19 03:11 AM

If you change to a stock style dipstick use a newer style that utilizes the “umbrella” style seal. Allows for quite a bit of movement and doesn’t leak.

http://coperacingtranscom.ipage.com/?product=904-small-block-stick-tube-wcsr-shield
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/24/19 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
If you change to a stock style dipstick use a newer style that utilizes the “umbrella” style seal. Allows for quite a bit of movement and doesn’t leak.

http://coperacingtranscom.ipage.com/?product=904-small-block-stick-tube-wcsr-shield

I hope John sees this and sends your commission to you. I didn't know they made one of those, I ordered one to give it a try so I can lose the lockar deal. Thanks!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/24/19 12:32 PM

Is the fitment/location of the dipstick in relation to the shield different from 904 to 727?
I use the Lokar flexible braided steel dipstick w/ a CSR shield on my 727 w/ no fitment problems.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/24/19 02:18 PM

I have one of the Cope locking dipsticks on my 69 Barracuda with a 904 and CSR shield. It works and fits well.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/24/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME

Any ideas before I start cutting ?

Don't cut on the shield or you will not be able to recertify it.

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/24/19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Is the fitment/location of the dipstick in relation to the shield different from 904 to 727?
I use the Lokar flexible braided steel dipstick w/ a CSR shield on my 727 w/ no fitment problems.

I think a Lokar flexible braided steel or Cope will fit the shield but I would have to modify the firewall. Maybe I could mount the flexible dipstick toward the rear some how?
I was hoping they made a stubby dipstick like they do for GM trannys but they can't since there is fluid in a 904 dipstick.

Attached picture dipstick.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/24/19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

I think a Lokar flexible braided steel or Cope will fit the shield but I would have to modify the firewall. Maybe I could mount the flexible dipstick toward the rear some how?
I was hoping they made a stubby dipstick like they do for GM trannys but they can't since there is fluid in a 904 dipstick.

Man you guys make a project out of child’s play. Bend it, cut it, modify it and the recalibrate your dipstick. Any good rebuild book shows you where the fluid level should be so you just remark your stick. (I marked mine with a magic marker and then used a hacksaw to put a groove in my dipstick) It’s not brain surgery guys.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/25/19 01:10 PM

It’s not brain surgery.... but I REALLY recommend getting away from the leak prone OE “o-ring” style dipstick tube and move on to the much better GM style seal.

I brazed on a Chevy tube end on my Mirada dipstick tube back in the late 80’s before ma Mopar came to their senses in the mid 90’s to follow suit. It works!!
Posted By: moparx

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/25/19 03:34 PM

one bad trait of the lokar dipstick tube, it takes a tiny funnel end to dump the fluid in, which translates into "forever" to fill the transmission.
do like pittsburgh suggested. chop down a cheap tube, cut your stick to length and recalibrate it. done. save $50 and some grief.
beer
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/26/19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
one bad trait of the lokar dipstick tube, it takes a tiny funnel end to dump the fluid in, which translates into "forever" to fill the transmission.
do like pittsburgh suggested. chop down a cheap tube, cut your stick to length and recalibrate it. done. save $50 and some grief.
beer

I see people here complain about the time it takes to fill one all the time. I've never found it to be that big of an issue. Sure it takes longer, but are you really in that big of a hurry to fill a fresh trans?
Posted By: moparx

Re: 904 CSR Shield install? - 09/26/19 04:54 PM

i couldn't be in a hurry if the devil was right behind me, stabbing my azz with his pitchfork ! laugh2

i can't control the flow good enough without making a mess, overflowing the funnel.
but that's just me. geeze, i make a mess using a funnel pouring oil into the valve cover.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums