Moparts

Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight

Posted By: Dragula

Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 02:16 AM

Seems light on the top end,,,gonna jet up some more .....So the Hemi runs....just not where I want it to yet....Still a 9second street car. Should be a 9.60 street car,,,,,

Attached picture KIMG1289.JPG
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 12:25 PM

NICE!!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 01:20 PM

Nice light, and 60'. With the 1/8th mile E/T, it should have a low 9.80 in it, but mph doesn't show it. This is the 605 HEMI correct?
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 01:33 PM

Nice light
The 1/8 mph is soft

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 09:54 PM

Had a blast this weekend....And this was the best pass on the car to date.....

Attached picture KIMG1290.JPG
Attached picture KIMG1291.JPG
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 10:16 PM

Nice. Your vert flashes about the same as mine, 5000, 5100. I would be very happy with a pass like that.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 10:48 PM

It's not supposed to flash that high with this engine......it's a blown alky convertor from ATI.... supposed to be 3600, but I am pretty happy with it. I will have to get stiffer side wall slicks for next year. It's crushing my current tires.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/21/19 11:11 PM

One of the best in car videos I have seen!! Your reaction times are unreal.
Now you have to put a cage in it before you get booted!! LOL
Mike
Posted By: BradH

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/22/19 02:33 AM

Nice!

I was wondering where the roll cage was, too.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/22/19 02:42 AM

Very nice! Are you going to stick with the hemi a while longer?
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/22/19 12:09 PM

up

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/22/19 02:37 PM

Agreed, we are a little light on the cage. I only have a roll bar in it and never really wanted to cut the car up more, but I like running 9's with it so it is time to step it up with a full cage and window net.

I was hoping the car would have run closer to its potential, but I ran out of bigger jets at #106 in all four corners and 6.20's made me happy for now. The timing I set by ear, and I will have to see where it ended up. I am hoping there is more potential left in this combo than just 9.90. I feel this combo should run 9.60 for a 605...unless the weight of my car is that far off. Haven't weighted it in years and this block is heavy.

I am curious though, is anyone running the Barton rockers? Would those be worth the $ and did they free up any HP?

The other issue seems the lack of traction. The car made more hp, but ever run I had a worse 60ft. Its crushing the rear tires even at 14psi,so it looks like I need to find a better solution there. I am not sure I can do anything else with the suspension....
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/22/19 03:23 PM

Nice smooth trip
Down the track. Great video.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/22/19 11:17 PM

My 6.25 pass.....

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dragula

I am curious though, is anyone running the Barton rockers? Would those be worth the $ and did they free up any HP?

I have the Barton rockers. Similar build with less cylinder head. I'm real close to getting mine back on the road/track.
Posted By: stickman60

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 08:29 AM

Gorgeous how the Hemi is singing!!
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 09:48 AM

At what rpm are you shifting? Didn't look like it was going much past 6000.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 01:06 PM

What was the DA?
Like quickd100 said, it doesn't sound like you're spinning it real hard, but the video may be deceiving.
Have you tried leaving off a fast idle? You are footbraking right?
Just looked through my logbooks, and my closest comparable timeslip running mid 6.20s are all at 109-110+ mph.
You're still on a big bias ply tire though right? That might be why.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 02:37 PM

Mine goes 111mph at 6.20's, but only have gone 1.37 60'.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BradH
Nice!

Since he is running IHRA, he doesn't need a cage until 9.00 or faster. Does need a IHRA license though to go under 6.40, or 10.00.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by BradH
Nice!

Since he is running IHRA, he doesn't need a cage until 9.00 or faster. Does need a IHRA license though to go under 6.40, or 10.00.

You do need the halo bars ro run quicker than 9.99 in IHRA.
A 6 or 8 point rollbar is only good to 10 flat

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by quickd100
At what rpm are you shifting? Didn't look like it was going much past 6000.

I was shifting around 6500. The Rev limiter you can't here it. But I had to go change it to spin it higher. Plus it was a little lean I think yet as it was not climbing rpm real quick yet. Ran out of jet sizes at #106....

And it needs a full cage and window net anything below 6.50.....

After reviewing a copy of the vids it appears I shifted closer to 6200....

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 04:36 PM

Seems wierd the car would want so much jet. Seems like a ton
I had a motor that made similar power to this one that ran 88/90 jets.
Actually 135 mph at 3350
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by B3422W5

I was thinking the same thing. Is this a Thumper-modified carb?
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 05:48 PM

"Seems wierd the car would want so much jet. Seems like a ton
I had a motor that made similar power to this one that ran 88/90 jets. "

Yeah! My 572 Wedge with Quickfuel 1450 is jetted 96 square! Mid 9s at 138.
Wondering what carb or combo would need even MORE than 106.

Mike
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 06:17 PM

How old/ how many passes on your current tires?
Posted By: WedgeFED

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 70satelliteguy

Mike

Saw a little small block car with jets in the 170 range a few weeks ago and yes on race gas...
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 08:22 PM

If you are still running the Indy Hi-Po heads shifting at 6200 you haven't even hit the Hp peak in the powerband. They are real lazy down low. I pulled mine to just passed 6700, the Hp was still climbing.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/23/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by blowndart
Originally Posted by B3422W5

I was thinking the same thing. Is this a Thumper-modified carb?

Its a Thumper 1250 carb and its on pump gas 93 with E10, so that requires an AFR of around 12.2....Friday nights pass showed it was close to 13.8 in high gear. Saturday I went up from #104 to #106, and it looks like its around 12.5-12.8 now. I still had jets in my hand when they called us to the lanes....But it was much better, and I gained almost 2mph in the 1/8th.....So it probably just needs to go 1-2 more. I will order them, but I doubt I will run this car again this year. My belts are out and I was lucky they let me run actually let alone, I made it down to the last four cars....Not too bad for a street car. Going to have to figure out what kind of tire to put on it for next year. Thinking of trying a 315DR in R2 compound....Its shorter and will kick the rpm a little.

And yes Hi-Po big valve heads still....I could tell it wasn't pulling real good yet, so the jetting needed to be better before pulling it that high, and my 20 year old 7k rev limiter chip was hitting at 6600....
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/24/19 07:56 AM

I'm thinking if you need that much jet you need more than one carb. Sounds sweet though and yeah, your RT's are insane for a foot brake car.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/24/19 12:16 PM

Put a 315 pro on it. I'd definitely spin it higher w/ those big heads and manifold.
I'm also very surprised it needs that much jet. My 1200 dominator (mod'd 1150) is 88/96 w/ a PV up front.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/24/19 01:34 PM

[
Its a Thumper 1250 carb and its on pump gas 93 with E10, so that requires an AFR of around 12.2....Friday nights pass showed it was close to 13.8 in high gear. Saturday I went up from #104 to #106, and it looks like its around 12.5-12.8 now. I still had jets in my hand when they called us to the lanes....But it was much better, and I gained almost 2mph in the 1/8th.....So it probably just needs to go 1-2 more
Assuming that you AFR meter is accurate, it looks like you're close that what that carb wants. Thanks for posting the videos. Must feel great to get it out and race it after all that you've been through with that engine.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/24/19 01:59 PM

Outside the car vids.

Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/24/19 03:57 PM

Straight down Broadway, nice! boogie

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/24/19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 70satelliteguy

Mike

Well, the plenum on that intake is huge as well as the runners and I took the clover leaf out.....So the MPH is telling me its lean, and so is the AFR guage, so I am going up....My 1000cfm 4150 on my 512 had 96's in it, my 1050 Thumper on my 512 has 104's in it.....Seems about right....

Originally Posted by BANDIT
How old/ how many passes on your current tires?

Tires are old and shot, the side wall is just getting obliterated even at 14psi......What is the best hooking tire for a leaf spring car in a 31x16.5 or 315 radial?

Originally Posted by blowndart
[
Its a Thumper 1250 carb and its on pump gas 93 with E10, so that requires an AFR of around 12.2....Friday nights pass showed it was close to 13.8 in high gear. Saturday I went up from #104 to #106, and it looks like its around 12.5-12.8 now. I still had jets in my hand when they called us to the lanes....But it was much better, and I gained almost 2mph in the 1/8th.....So it probably just needs to go 1-2 more
Assuming that you AFR meter is accurate, it looks like you're close that what that carb wants. Thanks for posting the videos. Must feel great to get it out and race it after all that you've been through with that engine.

It does finally feel good. After what I went thru with the Indy block, I can tell you, this engine, with all the same parts as before, holds way better oil pressure, and makes more power. Its already .05 quicker and it weighs more than 200lbs more.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/25/19 12:01 PM

Anytime you can load up with new stuff, roll it out, blast off and get to the other end in one piece is a real success.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/25/19 12:18 PM

PUT A 315 ET STREET PRO ON IT.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/25/19 01:21 PM

Should I use a bead lock rim? Last ones we ran spun on the rims....

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/25/19 01:33 PM

Beadlocks are nice and preferred if you can afford them. I can't, so I use permatex to glue the beads.
I also ran screws in radials for 10+ years and had no problems, but now they say not to do that b/c it can hurt the tire. shruggy

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/26/19 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Beadlocks are nice and preferred if you can afford them. I can't, so I use permatex to glue the beads.
I also ran screws in radials for 10+ years and had no problems, but now they say not to do that b/c it can hurt the tire. shruggy

Champion wheels bridged the price gap for beadlocks. Too bad they're out of the game!

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/26/19 09:42 AM

Send your existing rims to Tommy Kirk at MacFab, and have beadlocks installed. Best in the business, and fast turn around.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/26/19 04:18 PM

Send your existing rims to Tommy Kirk at MacFab, and have beadlocks installed. Best in the business, and fast turn around.

Their cheap single beadlocks start at about $525 a pair.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/27/19 10:53 AM

Called Veto, and we are putting a cage in it next month.....Purists are gonna have a fit...

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/27/19 12:32 PM

Called Veto, and we are putting a cage in it next month.....Purists are gonna have a fit...

A cage, if properly done, will do less damage to the car, than running it without one. It's not like the car hasn't been cut up already. IIRC, it doesn't have stock rear frame rails. Once those were out, all bets are off.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/27/19 03:37 PM

At a car show last month a guy actually asked me if I feel any guilt after cutting up such a nice car.

My guess is we will cut the roll bar out and start from scratch....I told him I wanted a moly one for weight savings.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/27/19 05:06 PM

At a car show last month a guy actually asked me if I feel any guilt after cutting up such a nice car.

My guess is we will cut the roll bar out and start from scratch....I told him I wanted a moly one for weight savings.

I hope you told him it was cut up long before you owned it. Wasn't it an old Super Stock car?

Don't worry. I was once told I "wrecked" my Road Runner by tubbing it. Umm, I started with a rusty parts car, that should have gone to the scrap yard.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/27/19 06:55 PM

Car show people are all talk and no go grin devil boogie stirthepot
Posted By: WedgeFED

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/27/19 07:47 PM

neil and parks do beautiful beadlocks and champion does them also if you want

https://neilparks.com/beadlocks.html

https://www.championbillet.com/beadlock-conversions-1/

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/27/19 10:28 PM

I hope you told him it was cut up long before you owned it. Wasn't it an old Super Stock car?

Don't worry. I was once told I "wrecked" my Road Runner by tubbing it. Umm, I started with a rusty parts car, that should have gone to the scrap yard.

Actually, I didn't even bother. I really don't care anymore. Who hasn't seen one all stock before? As I have said before, if somebody wants it before I go the next step, pony up the $$$$ and buy it...And nobody ever does, so I have finally decided to do it and make it a true dual purpose car that I can take to the next level. A lot of people at the races really liked it, and it gets a lot of attention, but I have not had any good offers in years. And yes it was a Super Stock car for many years before I got it.

Its fast enough now that it really needs the cage.

Originally Posted by WedgeFED

neil and parks do beautiful beadlocks and champion does them also if you want

https://neilparks.com/beadlocks.html

https://www.championbillet.com/beadlock-conversions-1/

My current rear wheels are way too wide to put a set of 315 DR's on....Going to have to buy a new set..
Posted By: moparx

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/28/19 04:04 PM

how wide is too wide ?
i have heard of guys putting 10.5's on 14" wide wheels to meet class rules, then adding air which makes the car more stable at the big end. shruggy
beer

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/30/19 02:17 PM

Guys run 275s on 12" wheels.

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 09/30/19 11:26 PM

They are 15" wide, and I am either putting a new set of QT pros on those or the best slick I can find....
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 10/01/19 12:45 AM

I wouldn't hesitate a New York second to put a set of 10.5 x 29 x 15 inch drag radials on a set of true 15 inch wide rims, beadlocks or with a good set of rim screws up

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 10/01/19 12:07 PM

They are 15" wide, and I am either putting a new set of QT pros on those or the best slick I can find....

WHY? The car will be faster on a 315 pro and it is a big tire.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 10/01/19 12:34 PM

Congrats! That must feel good after all the trials and tribulations. Nice videos. Thanks for the post up

Re: Hemi Cuda.....1st Pass Off the trailer tonight - 10/06/19 01:43 AM

It feels good to get the project to where its performing right.....So much work, and so little track time...Its really a relief. I have some winter plans, so I will see how those go...But enjoy the pics from that weekend,,,,

Attached picture Cuda_2019_01 001.jpg
Attached picture Cuda_2019_02 001.jpg
Attached picture Cuda_2019_04 001.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums