Moparts

HOT ROD Drag Week

Posted By: mopars4ever

HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/06/19 08:26 PM

HOT ROD Drag Week will be fairly close to home next week. Anyone go to watch?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/06/19 08:54 PM

I highly recommend if you like a variety of cars, there is always cool, unique, and fast stuff there. But get there early, lots of those cars make one pass then hit the road.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/06/19 09:38 PM

Ok, good to know. They start racing at 8AM.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 01:52 AM

Well worth the price of admission. A lot of cool stuff rolls through and its amazing how they haul everything in a racecar.
Posted By: racerx

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by moparpollack
Well worth the price of admission. A lot of cool stuff rolls through and its amazing how they haul everything in a racecar.

iagree....There be some Bada$$ cars rows though the gate here.
Posted By: Den300

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 12:05 PM

Me and 3 other Mopar guys from Germany. We did not get starting places so we just came over to watch and to
follow the whole week. Maybe we can annoy the guys from HRDW so hard we get a pre regis for 2020.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Den300
Me and 3 other Mopar guys from Germany. We did not get starting places so we just came over to watch and to
follow the whole week. Maybe we can annoy the guys from HRDW so hard we get a pre regis for 2020.

Welcome to the USA and I hope you have a great time.

The only way anyone gets an early registration is to finish in the top three in their class or win the Spirit of Drag Week Award.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 04:01 PM

Anyone know of a valid link so I can watch this years DW on youtube?

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 04:55 PM

Keep an eye on HotRod.com they will post the link everyday.
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 06:01 PM

The only place I have seen mention of it being aired is on the Motor Trend App
Posted By: GY3

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports

Hope it is on Youtube again...

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports

Hope it is on Youtube again...

https://www.motortrendgroup.com/hot-rod-drag-week-2019-to-crown-fastest-street-car-in-america/

"Drag Week will also be viewable September 9-13 via livestream programming on the MotorTrend App, the only auto-dedicated subscription streaming service that boasts nearly 4,000 hours of world-leading automotive shows, including HOT ROD Garage, Roadkill, Fastest Cars in the Dirty South, and coverage of America’s most popular automotive events, such as HOT ROD Power Tour, Roadkill Nights, Barrett-Jackson, and much more."

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 08:39 PM

Should still be available on youtube just like in years past.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 3.38.34 PM.png
Posted By: Den300

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Originally Posted by Den300

Welcome to the USA and I hope you have a great time.

The only way anyone gets an early registration is to finish in the top three in their class or win the Spirit of Drag Week Award.

Thanks a lot. So far we really enjoyed the trip!
Top three? We will arrive with a Toyota RAV rental car, so sounds feasible grin

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/07/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Should still be available on youtube just like in years past.

thumbs
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/08/19 02:42 AM

Wow. I saw this on Facebook tonight. Some guys shouldn’t even bother signing up for a spot every year

Drag week friends who are on wait list. There emailing up to #250 on wait list. If your going show up.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/08/19 11:21 AM

Yeah I thought the east coast would actually be able to fill up the event with a real 400 cars.

I know Hot Rod Doesn't Care, they sold 400 spots at just under $400 in just a few minutes, now as those people drop out they are selling more spots.

I wanted to do a "Mopar's of Drag Week" thread but they have yet to publish an entrants list probably due to the massive drop outs. I guess those east coasters that begged the event to come east can't back it up lol wink.

Two strangest entrants I have seen are a 1919 air cooled Franklin, and a Modified Tesla. There is going to be people chasing E85, and people chasing parts, and the tesla guy is going to be on the hunt for extension cords!
Posted By: Twostick

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/08/19 12:48 PM

the tesla guy is going to be on the hunt for extension cords!

Nah. A set of slicks and a diesel genset in the trailer and he's good to go.

Kevin

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/08/19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick

Kevin

Fueling or charging a vehicle from the trailer is actually against the rules. With an electric car I think that breaks both rules lol.

Strapping a generator to the trunklid is legal and has been done lol.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/08/19 02:29 PM

Kevin

Fueling or charging a vehicle from the trailer is actually against the rules. With an electric car I think that breaks both rules lol.

I'm assuming that rule is for while in transit? I was thinking for fast charge at the track.

Seriously tho, what else would you need to carry? No maintenance between rounds other than top up the charge and depending on what model, 4 wheel traction. One of those set on kill could lay waste to a large portion of the field.

Kevin

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/08/19 04:23 PM

Yes he could do that in the pits for sure.

I think i saw where he said it had "Ludicrous Plus" which has a better battery and he might have upgraded more on top of the weight loss I saw. Probably bottom 10s?

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/09/19 02:39 PM

Drag Week on Youtube

>>>Day 1 LIVE FEED HERE <<<

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/09/19 10:31 PM

Thanks for that link. wave

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/10/19 11:28 AM

I was able to get the whole thing listened or watched by about 9:30 last night. Rain delay made for a crappy day but they got day one done.

The Franklin went a 30.XX@45 lol

The Tesla Went 10.47@124 and arrived at the hotel for the next day on the same charge he left with.

The Miller/Bowers/Shellehammer Dart went a 9.71 on its first pass.

Low ET was set by Tom Bailey with a 6.21@228 but the Swedes in the Opal went 6.43@230 so that should be a good battle.

The one pass only rule due to the rain ruined some peoples days for sure but plenty got it done. If you ran faster than your tech speed you got an automatic 20.00 ET.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/10/19 12:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn_Pimi6BDM
Posted By: burdar

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/10/19 03:54 PM

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/watch-live

This link should work all week. No subscription needed. Then you don't have to search for the link on Youtube every day.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/10/19 04:03 PM

With you tube you can pause and rewind, I don't think the motortrend app allows that.
Posted By: burdar

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/10/19 04:18 PM

True, but sometimes I have trouble finding the Youtube link right away in the morning. thumbs
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/10/19 11:13 PM

Kevin

I'm assuming that rule is for while in transit? I was thinking for fast charge at the track.

Seriously tho, what else would you need to carry? No maintenance between rounds other than top up the charge and depending on what model, 4 wheel traction. One of those set on kill could lay waste to a large portion of the field.

Kevin
Jeff Lutz had a generator running to keep his car driving on the first leg in 2016. so I guess it would be legal.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 12:56 AM

Why is it Pro-Tree? I don't remeber them running it that was in years past.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 01:13 AM

Drag week has been pro tree for many years
Posted By: hemislave

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 01:55 AM

Hemi_ Joel, I take it you didn't make it in this year?

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 02:00 AM

No, I fouled up in the registration race, and ended up on the wait list. I never got the email offering me a chance to register.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 02:44 AM

Camaro ate cam

Brad now in first
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 03:09 AM

Wow! That Camaros was bad fast! Saw that pass today and wondered how long they could keep that up! Forgot to put my wireless headphones on the charger, guess I’ll have to lug my phone around at work tomorrow laugh2

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

For some reason, I do not remember it that way....

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dragula

I think it went pro tree in 2016, but I might be wrong.

I know Matt with the camaro has worked his tail off to be on drag week I hate to see him go out, his last in attempt in 2016 or 17 ended the same way unfortunately so something with his combo isn't happy.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 11:56 AM

Freiburger was saying yesterday that so many drop out that if you just show up that they wouldn`t turn you away. Apparently they never get the 400 needed on day 1.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 01:00 PM

>>> Moar Drag Week ~ Wednesday ~ DAY 3 YT Link <<<

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 01:43 PM

Another 9.3 for the Bowers/Shellehamer/Miller boys....

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Freiburger was saying yesterday that so many drop out that if you just show up that they wouldn`t turn you away. Apparently they never get the 400 needed on day 1.

They were actually amazed at the amount of cars that completed the first leg....
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 02:09 PM

I know Matt with the camaro has worked his tail off to be on drag week I hate to see him go out, his last in attempt in 2016 or 17 ended the same way unfortunately so something with his combo isn't happy.

The LS ate a camshaft.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by mopars4ever

They were actually amazed at the amount of cars that completed the first leg....

It's generally a 20-25% failure rate throughout the week. Only 10 cars dropped out after Day one. Still a lot of the week to go.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 02:12 PM

Brad ran another 9.3x today, 9.32 I think.

As long as they can keep doing what they are doing I think they have a lock on the class win.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

The LS ate a camshaft.

I know they sure like to eat cam bearings too.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 06:24 PM

Found a good show of the Bowers entry on facebook

Attached picture image1.jpeg
Posted By: ksj

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 07:54 PM

First days mileage was 160 with lots of stop and go traffic. Todays was 220 I think.Hope they can reach at least 900 miles for the week.Wife and I flew in to watch the action at Cecil yesterday.Caught up with most everyone we knew except red light Ross. He was in a second gen Corvette and not his RoadRunner.Hope its not a trend.I will say the number of spectators at Cecil County rivaled the number that Great Lakes Dragway is known for.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/11/19 08:35 PM

2014 was definitely the first year for the pro tree at Drag Week.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/12/19 01:15 AM

After seeing that 1917 Franklin make it to day three and make a pass has me thinking Joel needs to get the rebuild on that Duesy done.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/12/19 01:36 AM

I don't think I want to risk getting paired up with a 6 second Esconda, or some other out of control berserko! eek

And besides that, I love racing the coupe, and want to be competitive. drive In 1929, the Duesenberg was a rocket ship. In 2019, not so much.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/12/19 02:08 AM

Lets just say it was interesting checking out day 2.I think a few people were humbled.
Posted By: CDoering

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/12/19 02:49 AM

I was one of the ones that dropped out at the last minute. Was extremely disappointed but I live in the very south east corner of Virginia Beach just above the North Carolina line. The last 2 years we have been affected by hurricanes during the time frame of Drag Week. This year it was right before the storm but had to completely stop working on the car and shift to storm prep and then storm clean up.

I'm sure I'm not the only that was affected, but for anyone living along the South East coastline September is not ideal.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/12/19 03:56 AM

I was surprised that everyone who entered,wait list and just showed up got in this year.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/12/19 12:20 PM

Day four.....

>>> Drag Week Day Four ~ YT link <<<
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/13/19 01:56 PM

Thanks for the links John Brown

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/13/19 02:05 PM

Speaking of links.... here's Day Five.

>>> Drag Week Day Five YT link <<<

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/13/19 02:58 PM

Thank you John!!!! :-)
Posted By: second 70

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/13/19 03:40 PM

Lets keep our fingers crossed Billy's nephew Billy (Dale's son) is in first place in his class and has a decent lead with only one other car running in their class. Super street big block power adder. 9.883 avg to 11.378 Go Rusty Duster

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/13/19 07:08 PM

I have a buddy that registered and headed that way only to have the trans in his car fail on the drive out.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/13/19 11:10 PM

Bailey just went 5.998 wow!!!

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/13/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 392Hemi

Now that’s more like it. With some of the fastest tracks in the United States I expected to see some crazy fast times. These are all “new best” caliber type of tracks with sub sea level conditions

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/14/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Now that’s more like it. With some of the fastest tracks in the United States I expected to see some crazy fast times. These are all “new best” caliber type of tracks with sub sea level conditions

Last I saw the air was like 1700 ft today. Not sub sea level but really good for drag week air.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/14/19 03:37 AM

Better than RMRW Bandimere at 8800 ft.LOL

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/14/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by second 70
Lets keep our fingers crossed Billy's nephew Billy (Dale's son) is in first place in his class and has a decent lead with only one other car running in their class. Super street big block power adder. 9.883 avg to 11.378 Go Rusty Duster

Billy won his class, pretty sure Dale got a podium finish in the Gremlin and Brian finished in the Barnyard Viper. I think MoparBilly is pleased.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/14/19 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Last I saw the air was like 1700 ft today. Not sub sea level but really good for drag week air.

Steve Morris and Tom Baily get it done.......The talent and the abilities of that guy is unreal. Wow! Developed his own billet engine, built it, raced it, and shattered all the records....incredible.

I wonder if its true the rumor he is working on a billet water Hemi next.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/14/19 02:16 PM

Brad Bower and his rider Brett Miller went on to win Super Street Small Block Naturally Aspirated. They made two runs on Friday, one was a 9.09. Congratulations on a job very well done. Photos from Brad's Facebook post.

Attached picture Bowers1.jpg
Attached picture Bowers2.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/14/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by second 70

Billy won his class, pretty sure Dale got a podium finish in the Gremlin and Brian finished in the Barnyard Viper. I think MoparBilly is pleased.

PERFECT WAY to HONOR MoparBilly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bow up boogie beer drive
beer
Posted By: usp4u

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/15/19 07:40 AM

Brad Bower and his rider Brett Miller went on to win Super Street Small Block Naturally Aspirated. They made two runs on Friday, one was a 9.09. Congratulations on a job very well done. Photos from Brad's Facebook post.

9.09???

Hot damn. Holding back .3 all week to put the nail in the coffin!
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/15/19 11:53 PM

The 4 week drag week build.
Car was basically a shell 4 weeks before drag week.
We finished putting it together at VMP first drive was about 7 pm that night.
Brad Bowers and I put about 8 miles on it that night and made its first pass after the rain cleared.

Then we set out to drive 1000miles in the heat on drag week.

You just don’t understand drag week until you “do it”

Our buddy tory Shellhamer did a bunch of fab work on the car in one week. (Headers in 2 days 😳)

We went on to win the class (SS SB NA)
The racing Gods rewarded our hard work with not much problems for the Craziness that is DRAGWEEK 😀👍🏻

The engine was built in 2011 for engine masters challenge.

410” we gave up 20” per the rules for small block.
Has over 150 dyno pulls and 100s of passes in my car.
Has had the cam and intake changed over the years.
But engine has not been apart from 2011.

I put a new set of valve springs on for the drag week deal.

Put a street oil pan on and pump in the pan for the drive.

We had no over drive and 28” tall tire with 4.30 gear engine was run 3500-4000 rpm all week on the 1000 + mile drive.
Super happy with the engine only thing done to engine all week was an oil change and cut/check filter.

We where shifting at 8700 rpm at the track 😉

I need a few good days of sleep to think about doing this again 😀

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/15/19 11:59 PM

Wow and congratulations....!
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/16/19 12:18 AM

Never short of envy when I see what you pull off.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/16/19 02:20 AM

Congratulations! Watched all week on live stream.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/16/19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by W5DART66
Brad Bowers and I put about 8 miles on it that night and made its first pass after the rain cleared.

Our buddy tory Shellhamer did a bunch of fab work on the car in one week. (Headers in 2 days 😳)

The racing Gods rewarded our hard work with not much problems for the Craziness that is DRAGWEEK 😀👍🏻

We had no over drive and 28” tall tire with 4.30 gear engine was run 3500-4000 rpm all week on the 1000 + mile drive.
Super happy with the engine only thing done to engine all week was an oil change and cut/check filter.

^^^^ THAT IS SUPER IMPRESSIVE ! ! !

CONGRATS FOR SURE, THATS A BAAAAD STREET CAR RIGHT THERE
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/16/19 08:34 PM

Fine job.. what year was that when you won
wave

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/16/19 10:24 PM

They won their class this year. It was fun to watch. Thanks to John Brown, he posted links to the live feed every day.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/16/19 10:51 PM

Thanks
wave
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/16/19 11:47 PM

Congrats Brett, Tory and Brad you are badasses

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/17/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by dannysbee
They won their class this year. It was fun to watch. Thanks to John Brown, he posted links to the live feed every day.

If it hadn't been raining buckets Friday in Michigan, I'd have been on the road going to the Pure Stock Drags. You guys would have had to fend for yourselves. As it was, I wasted most of my day (week?) watching the live feed myself. Even when I had to go out, (for lunch, mainly) I ran the feed back so I could see what I missed. Glad to have done it. Now, where do I go to get paid. biggrin
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/17/19 12:16 AM

some pictures i took at atco when they were there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/92SVmZ8GqqpV18BW9

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/17/19 12:18 AM

Ok you guys that weren’t ready. HIT THE SHOP. Now!!!
Posted By: squirrel

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/17/19 03:34 AM

yeah, that's me, I was not ready with my Barracuda this year. I had to take my Chevy. It worked just fine, although I was a second behind the badass Hemi in Mike Finnegan's 55. At least I got to race next to him on his last pass where he clinched the A/Gas win.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/17/19 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by n20mstr

Fatastic effort by all, I just wish cars with cars like this got more press instead of full on pro mods without headlites......

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/17/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by LAD 524

Fatastic effort by all, I just wish cars with cars like this got more press instead of full on pro mods without headlites......

The only full on Pro Mod on Drag Week has head lights, they get covered up when he makes a pass on the strip, then uncovered for the driving portions. It's a really press worthy car, even if it's not your bag.

There is still a decent amount of coverage of the cars that we all build and race.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/17/19 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by LAD 524
Originally Posted by n20mstr

iagree......Hope drag week doesn't turn into a promod race.

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/18/19 01:52 AM

There ended up being only two cars in the 6s by the end of the week this year, it's not a pro mod race, by a long shot. There were 300 other cars that finished, including several black primer Darts smile
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/18/19 01:59 AM

Had a blast on dragweek, plan to defend the title next year. Hope to make the car faster with some changes and testing . Wasn’t holding anything back was just figuring out what the car wanted and one track MIR we didn’t have a lot of fuel so we make a conservative hit to make sure it didn’t spin. Brett’s motor didn’t like my powerglide and Shiloh’s convertor had 2000 rpm fall back. But the whole set up worked really well on the street.
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: HOT ROD Drag Week - 09/18/19 04:38 AM

Nice job guys representing the Mopar banner!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums