Moparts

Small block toothed flex plate?

Posted By: crash520

Small block toothed flex plate? - 08/27/19 07:38 AM

Guys is there such thing as a 130 tooth small block flex plate? Need one for engine dyno, std 6 bolt pattern?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 08/27/19 03:40 PM

No, Mopar flex plates don't have teeth on them. If you need teeth then you have to buy a flywheel. I have a 6 bolt flex plate for sale in the race section but it doesn't have teeth on it.

Attached picture DSC_3747 (Large).JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 08/27/19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by crash520
Guys is there such thing as a 130 tooth small block flex plate? Need one for engine dyno, std 6 bolt pattern?

If you keep your eyes open you should be able to pick up a used flex plate from someone running a powerglide. New ones are available from places like Summit or Jegs. I have both 6 and 8 bolt ones I use in my cars

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 08/27/19 07:42 PM

I did see QuickTime do toothed flexplates for those who use GM style converters etc, that’s pretty much what I need I think
Posted By: Burnincircles

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 09/02/19 03:40 AM

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/flexplates/oem_flexplates/parts/RM-947
Posted By: LA360

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 09/02/19 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by crash520

If it's for a Superflow Dyno, you'll need a flywheel. I've seen people use toothed flexplates in a pinch, but it's not ideal. The DTS tailshaft style from memory require an crankshaft adapter.

Not sure what the tooth count is typically on a V8 flywheel, but there should be someone you might be able to borrow one or buy one from.

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 09/03/19 10:14 PM

Thanks Guys, yep saw the TCI plates, I’m still trying to contact the dyno guys to work out what’s needed, I have a feeling it might be a DTS type
Posted By: LA360

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 09/05/19 05:27 AM

Depending on their set up, you may just need the flexplate to start it. DTS had an option for a remote starter as well.

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 09/08/19 08:14 PM

Thanks all for your help.
I’m in limbo right now as the two dyno guys I had recommended to me aren’t interested in doing what I’m seeking.
I have a 408 that is fitted with TBI and is a fresh build, the TBI I have currently running on my 340.
I simply want to put the 408 on a dyno for its first runs, check for leaks and issues, re torque heads and so on and see what we can get out of it with the TBI and work on a WOT, tune set up. Well both have said “ nah, we’ll tune it with one of our carbs, then put the EFI on it and you can tune it on a chassis dyno” so what are they going to tune if they use their own carb??
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Small block toothed flex plate? - 09/08/19 11:26 PM

That is a pretty common response for a dyno shop these days. A lot of dyno shops haven't gotten up to speed on EFI yet so they aren't comfortable running an EFI engine. When I needed to test my EFI engine I worked with one of the local dyno shop owners to get his shop set up for for the testing. It took a fair amount of work and money to do. We had to buy a new fuel pump setup, change some of the wiring, add some sensors, run USB cables to the control room and stuff like that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums