Moparts

In distress... help?

Posted By: TRENDZ

In distress... help? - 08/21/19 09:22 PM

Does anyone have a listing of engine bearings by bore size? I have an early Hemi (331) that Ive done a lot of work to, only to now find that the main bearing bores were made oversized at some point before me getting it. I built main caps for it. Made the bores of them undersized for fitment. I was just at the machine shop and they wanted to know what finished bore size I wanted... because the block had already been line bored over standard size.
The bore spec is supposed to be 2.6565”- 2.657”
The bore is now approximately 2.688” (best i could measure without the actual original caps)
All bearing bores look good and measure about the same, they are just incorrect for this block.
I assume the block was damaged at some point and someone adapted some other bearing into this block.
Crank journal is at -.010 (2.500 journal)
Any ideas/ solutions???
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: In distress... help? - 08/21/19 09:30 PM

With a 2.500 bore I wouldnt think thats too hard to find.. just guessing
wave

Re: In distress... help? - 08/22/19 12:09 AM

I just checked my A8 sprint car block. Looks like someone may have just made the hemi block accept 340 main bearings. Actually happy now instead of worrying.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: In distress... help? - 08/22/19 02:26 AM

Glad to see that your happier now,, I forgot that I had just checked my 340 block for bearings
wave
Posted By: jwb123

Re: In distress... help? - 08/22/19 01:39 PM

long time ago I did a 354 hemi, and I forgot his name but a guy had all kinds of LA engine parts that would fit the Hemi. I think I used a LA oil pump with an adapter, 340 six pack flywheel, I think the timing chain interchanged as well. So that modification may have been done as well, on your bearings.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: In distress... help? - 08/22/19 05:44 PM

There are a lot of 331-354s running around with 340 mains and pontiac rod bearings. Think the mains was just a rebore, rods had to be bored .005 or so, and have the tang slots moved. Been 30 years since I did one, bearings were hard to find then.

Re: In distress... help? - 08/22/19 07:07 PM

Good to know. Unfortunately, I was able to find bearings for a stock bore, 010 under crank for a 331. Fairly spendy$$$.
Now I have to seek out a set of 340 bearings, which I would imagine are easier to find, cheaper, and have a wider selection of options.
All around though, Im glad it is what it is.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: In distress... help? - 08/22/19 07:52 PM

Call Ron Farley racing engines. 716-799-5588.

He specializes in early Hemis

We use many of them as counter weights around the shop.
© 2024 Moparts Forums