Moparts

Spark plug life

Posted By: SportF

Spark plug life - 08/12/19 08:42 PM

Just curious as to what this gang thinks about plug life. How many runs, or time?

I have a about 100 passes in two years on mine and probably should change them, but see no real reason. We are going mid 10's on a big block and they look fine.

What do you think?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 08:59 PM

Tom...How old and what kind of plug wires are you using? wave
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 09:05 PM

My NGK's were installed in the fall of 2015. I have maybe 100 street miles and about 150-200 passes. The car starts fine, idles clean and my et's don't fluctuate. When I detect a slight miss at idle or the car seems to load up at start up is when I change mine.

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
Tom...How old and what kind of plug wires are you using? wave

Good point. Accel super stock. I'll wring them out to see what kind of ohms I have.

I don't remember how old. hummm
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 09:41 PM

4th race season for my ar3911’s and my ultra40 wires. Might put a new set over the winter if I rebuild the engine
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 09:46 PM

What ignition and plug gap?
My thoughts are if it ain't broken, don't fix it tsk
I use to change plugs at the track after every race, I would leave the old ones in it to warm the car up in the pits and then put the new ones in realcrazy
I had cans of spark plugs that had from 10 to 16 runs on them shruggy
Once I switched to the MSD race gold ignition boxes and their matching coil I didn't need to do that anymore boogie
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 09:46 PM

I'm on this program, change plugs when i rebuild the engine every 400-500 runs. There's 16 of them!

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 09:52 PM

MSD digital 6AL, .035 on the plug gap

I see a lot of folks like Cab used to do, changing plugs all the time, and it just gets one to thinking.

I'm going to change these, but not because they need it. Because I have them out.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 09:55 PM

Many 100 run seasons. Still ET/MPH the same as when they were new.
Doug
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 11:04 PM

Depends on the plug and how it was designed. I'd much rather use an easy to fire, much fewer run plug than use something that is designed to go 50 or 100k miles. Plugs are cheap.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 11:08 PM

An old Mopar mechanic 40 years ago told me after I had issues with Champion plugs to throw them in the trash, buy some Autolite plugs, gap them at .028-.030, put them in and go race. Still doing it, still working good.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Spark plug life - 08/12/19 11:57 PM

I typically get two years out of mine.....I keep running them if the electrode holds up....
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 12:23 AM

I run autolites ar3911 change out at the beginning of the season just for the heck of it. But for $30 once a year why not.
Just had a $50 coil go bad and quit without warning, around 5 yrs old for it.
changing out the inexpensive parts every so often might not be a bad idea.
Posted By: JT612GTX

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 01:09 AM

Anybody out there using the E - 3 plugs? the pro guys claim they use them, probably just for advertising purposes.
Thought about trying them but are they worth the price? ive had good luck using NGK race plugs and autolite.....
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 12:26 PM

I used to run them a long time in my cuda...at least a year or more. No reason to change them all the time. I use NGK plugs and MSD 6AL boxes on all my cars. Plug wires vary, never had a set that didn't run good, some just fit much better than others.

The E3 plugs are a joke...along w/ every other "revolutionary" plug design. There's so much snake oil in the ignition products market it's ridiculous...plugs AND wires. There a lot of gimmick parts out there, but the ignition system market seems to be saturated with them. Maybe I shouldn't say "gimmick", but a lot that work fine, just never live up to their hype.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 12:52 PM

I had 4 Drag weeks on my AR3911s, when I put my new motor in I forgot to buy plugs so I took the ones from my 360 and moved them to the 416. So four drag weeks with two motors haha. They still looked good but started to show a little wear, and I just freshened up the top end so I changed them out.

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 05:45 PM

I use a dental 10X magnifeyer to look at my plugs closely,, I do replace them when the center ground electrode gets rounded off from wear or it is wearing on a angle to the ground strap shruggy
I do see what looks like slag or metal hanging off to one side of the center electrode also when the motor is to lean making the plugs do that shock down
Get a good magnifer to help you get a good close look at your plugs and then decide scope
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 05:50 PM

How can you call it a "race engine" and leave plugs in for so long?? LOL

Plugs tell you all about whats going on in there...

Run some nitrous , and you will go through a lot of plugs...LOL
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 05:56 PM

I usually change the plugs whenever I freshen the motor up after 400ish passes. I run autolites in my cars.

Re: Spark plug life - 08/13/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr

How can you call it a "race engine" and leave plugs in for so long?? LOL

Plugs tell you all about whats going on in there...

Run some nitrous , and you will go through a lot of plugs...LOL

I switch to E85 5 yrs ago, that stupid fuel seems to be VERY sensitive to the plug heat range, but that being said I ended up switching motor parts which led to R&D problems in the valve train that I may have interpreted as spark plug problems. Same deal on the new motor with a goofy distributors and some bad ignition parts, I hate motor problems(race car or any other vehicle problems) rant whiney
Time to take a step back and really focus on this rascal to get rid of those type problems wrench work grin
© 2024 Moparts Forums