Moparts

Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ?

Posted By: DARTGTS340

Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/04/19 07:57 PM

Hi all !
Haven't been on here in a good long while but need some advice from the 426 Hemi owners/builders here..

My brother is again working on getting his original 426 street hemi back together which is in his 1970 Hemicuda.
He wants to pick an aluminum head that has the stock valve sizes and location and has quality machine work as in a no issue mate to his factory intake manifold
sealing surfaces. Block and intake manifold is as factory cut no milling.

This will be a street application with 10 or 10.5 compression with a hyd. camshaft one or two steps over the stock grind.
Haven't decided whether to go hyd. roller or flat tappet...but I like the hyd. rollers.

So what about the new Edelbrock heads or Indy? From what he told me some of the Edelbrock Hemi heads have the exhaust valve moved over
and a modified valve relief would be needed.

Appreciate any info. Thanks!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/04/19 08:21 PM

For the money, the Eddy heads are the ticket....We paid $2300 for our last set and put them on a little 484 Hemi street car....That thing was a beast and went 10.27 at over 130mph...The machining on the two sets we have bought has been spot on and they are heli coiled in all the right places right from the factory. Indy Canfield heads I would put as a distant 2nd place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrm62S2Fmow&t=135s
Posted By: DARTGTS340

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/04/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
For the money, the Eddy heads are the ticket....We paid $2300 for our last set and put them on a little 484 Hemi street car....That thing was a beast and went 10.27 at over 130mph...The machining on the two sets we have bought has been spot on and they are heli coiled in all the right places right from the factory. Indy Canfield heads I would put as a distant 2nd place...

What about the relocated exhaust valve in the Eddy head. How much and where does the valve relief have to be moved on a 426 hemi piston?
Will they bolt on or does a stock 70 block need any modifications?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/04/19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by DARTGTS340
Originally Posted by Dragula

What about the relocated exhaust valve in the Eddy head. How much and where does the valve relief have to be moved on a 426 hemi piston?
Will they bolt on or does a stock 70 block need any modifications?

At your compression....none....Gets tricky at 12:1....Most pistons still clear though as the reliefs are usually bigger than tyhe valve size.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/04/19 11:59 PM

The Stage V stock replacement raised small exhaust port heads would be my choice up scope
I haven't used the new Eddy heads (that use to be made by Canfield) either so keep that in mind, they may be okay for what your wanting confused
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/05/19 12:51 AM

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better head than the Stage V. Call Tim Banning at For Hemi's Only. He has a CNC program that cuts an O-ring groove around the intake ports that eliminates sealing issues there. Also, has an excellent porting program in his machine for a street head. They come from him ready to bolt on. You will be pleased.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/05/19 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

I haven't used the new Eddy heads (that use to be made by Canfield) either so keep that in mind, they may be okay for what your wanting confused

The newer Eddy heads (Victor Jrs.) were never made by Canfield. The newer Indy heads were though.
I have the Victory Jr heads and I use stock pistons. Unless you use a high compression piston and a large cam, you should not run into interference issues.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/05/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by DARTGTS340
Hi all !

He wants to pick an aluminum head that has the stock valve sizes and location and has quality machine work as in a no issue mate to his factory intake manifold sealing surfaces. Block and intake manifold is as factory cut no milling.

What you are wanting is the last head Mopar was selling. Do they still sell those? It was cast by Edelbrock but they aren't the "Edelbrock" heads. Those are called the Victor Jr's.

The Stage V would be mo better but by the time you pay to finish the ports, grind the seats, hone the guides and buy valves, seals, retainers and keepers it gets expensive.

The Edelbrock Victor Jr's are the best deal in Hemi heads right now, but they are more suited to people that want more power. They have larger intake valves and you would have to notch the block with a sanding roll to make them fit.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/05/19 02:39 PM

Marsh Performance 336-283-0800 http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/hemi.html shows them on his website for $1,358.50 each
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Best quality alum head for 426 hemi ? - 08/05/19 02:47 PM

Mopar P5153875
© 2024 Moparts Forums