Moparts

The color red

Posted By: bigdad

The color red - 07/29/19 07:54 PM

I can't seem to get myself to not turn on the dang thing ..

The old motor combo, etc ..with my Terminator switch, 3 rings on it .. typically, it was about .030 , often double 0.. not often red

Now, 1 ring left, I think it needs at least one to work right .. ,002-- to .010 red ..all the time ,can't seem to stop it , red 15 times out of 20

I have front tires down to 27Lbs .. Don't think any less will help , don't want to run tires much lower

About ready to switch to delay box
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: The color red - 07/29/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
I can't seem to get myself to not turn on the dang thing ..

The old motor combo, etc ..with my Terminator switch, 3 rings on it .. typically, it was about .030 , often double 0.. not often red

Now, 1 ring left, I think it needs at least one to work right .. ,002-- to .010 red ..all the time ,can't seem to stop it , red 15 times out of 20

I have front tires down to 27Lbs .. Don't think any less will help , don't want to run tires much lower

About ready to switch to delay box
.. add a couple washers under the button I'm sure the extra weight would slow it down
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: The color red - 07/29/19 08:24 PM

I watched good friend Michael Beard this year dialing in his foot brake car. He was doing great but wasn’t quite were he wanted to be on the tree so he went to a deeper rear gear to dial it in. I thought he was nuts but he is now on kill and winning almost every weekend. Like he said there’s more to it that shock adjustments and tire pressure.

Re: The color red - 07/29/19 08:33 PM

Due to power band on motor, I did put 4.30's in it .. did not want to buzz it too hard .. going to switch to a taller rear tire , that might help too

I could try one heavy steel washer that might take a bit of spring away , good idea
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: The color red - 07/29/19 09:22 PM

Yep, tire size(front and rear for different reasons) and gear ratio all affect reaction time. On the driver side alcohol, caffeine, and some drugs(prescription and shall we say nonprescription) can have an effect on reaction times.

Many years ago a friend was consistantly loosing in the first or second round. I told him to knock off the pot the day before and after weeks of denial he finally tried my suggestion and hello, all of a sudden we're going home after midnight.

How many older racers do you know who can't hit the tree anymore? Heart meds are notorious for this.
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: The color red - 07/29/19 09:28 PM

Big Dad- I had the same problem a couple years back. Kept hitting a skinny red. (More of a pink, really...) I have taken a couple turns out of the torsion bars and gained enough to get back to green.
Posted By: skrews

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 12:01 AM

^^^ Yep. Increase the front end travel if possible.

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 01:41 AM

My car is torsion bar delete

Attached picture bluntsidewheelsup2018.jpg

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 01:50 AM

Just red light waiting to happen

[Linked Image]
Posted By: topside

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 02:03 AM

You know a guy's had seat time when he's adjusting the mirror with the wheels in the air ! up laugh2

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 02:08 AM

My t-brake switch is mounted high
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 03:01 AM

Try adding some air(.5 to maybe 2.0 Lbs.) to the rear tires to see if it will make the car 60 Ft. quicker instead of jerking the front end up so high scope twocents
If that doesn't help try slowing the front end travel down some, make it stiffer on the extension wrench

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 03:26 AM

I've moved air around on both rear and front ..

did make a small difference but I think I've done all I can there .. it goes 1.38 or so in the 60 most days when air isn't horrible
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 01:36 PM

Play with the launch rpm. Try giving it a little more
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 02:15 PM

Assuming you have coilovers can you lower the ride height?
Posted By: BIG DRAG

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 08:21 PM

Knock a few degrees of timing out of it, that worked for me. And if you have a digital box you can ramp it back in over time too. Keeps from hitting the tire too hard when the track starts to go away.

Re: The color red - 07/30/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda

Assuming you have coilovers can you lower the ride height?

I can try that too .. think I'll just try it with no trans brake
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: The color red - 07/31/19 01:40 AM

As crazy as it may sound try different fingers.. or applying more pressure to the button when pushing down
Posted By: 65 Hemi

Re: The color red - 07/31/19 03:17 AM

Can you maybe run a taller front tire?
© 2024 Moparts Forums