Moparts

Coil on plug?

Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Coil on plug? - 07/05/19 03:46 PM

Just wondering what voltage is needed to fire E85 with 14:1 comp?
Hoping to run coyote 5.0 coil on plug assembly but not quite sure if the voltage is high enough to run at higher rpms

Thanks for any and all info
Kevin
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Coil on plug? - 07/05/19 07:42 PM

I don't understand your question. Are you asking about battery voltage? I don't see any reason why 12 volts wouldn't work just fine. There are a lot of guys making really big power with Holley Smart Coils and 12 volts. You do need to follow the instructions in terms of dwell time.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Coil on plug? - 07/05/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I don't understand your question. Are you asking about battery voltage? I don't see any reason why 12 volts wouldn't work just fine. There are a lot of guys making really big power with Holley Smart Coils and 12 volts. You do need to follow the instructions in terms of dwell time.

I think he is concerned about secondary voltage being sufficient to flash off alcohol at 14:1 compression.

Kevin
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: Coil on plug? - 07/05/19 09:49 PM

That is not an issue. Those coils are used on blown alcohol motors.
Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Re: Coil on plug? - 07/06/19 01:32 AM

Sorry I should of specified secondary voltage

Kevin
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Coil on plug? - 07/06/19 04:02 AM

I haven't used the Coyote coils but I've used the Holley Smart coils on a few different engines. People use the smart coils on 3000 hp engines. The nice thing about that setup is that it doesn't require a big expensive MSD box. The coils just get the signal from the ECU and fire. The spark plug leads are nice and short and each coil only has to fire 1/8 of the time that a normal coil has to fire. I can't see how you would have any issue at all in a NA application.
© 2024 Moparts Forums