Moparts

Coilovers tubular k frames

Posted By: Cape

Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 04:59 AM

I was considering bobs pro fab but I don’t think he’s in business anymore. So my question is who would you go with if you were going to get rid of the torsion bar suspension and go Coilovers? Who makes the best kits? What’s the pros and cons to going Coilovers or just keeping the torsion bars.
My car is a street/strip 69 charger mostly geared for the strip though. I will drive it around but that’s it. It’s a 478 Hemi 827hp @7700 G101a transmission twin 8.5 racing clutch browel bell housing Dana 60 with 4.88 in it. I haven’t had it to the track yet I’m just putting it all back together now. Just wondering the people’s opinions on front suspend stuff. Right now I have the stock k frame with QA1 upper and lower control arms and strange disc brakes on the front and rear. If I forgot anything let me know. Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 05:24 AM

I bought a Rieleys (sp?) tubular K member that has coil overs, front mounted rack and pinion steering which eliminates the need for torsion bars for a customers 1971 Challenger with a 572 C.I. pump gas street Hemi street and local car show car. He is very happy on how it looks and I had Forest Finscher install it while he was setting up the rear end and widening the rear wheel wells and so on, Forrest says likes using those kits up
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 10:48 AM

Im running a HDK - beautiful parts, well thought out and working really well on my street/strip Hemi A body.

Service from Denny was awesome.....and I'm on the other side of the pond. up

IMHO, you can't go wrong with this setup, Denny will look after you.

http://www.moparsuspension.com/mopar-suspension-kits/mopar-suspension-products.php

[Linked Image]

Posted By: racerx

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 12:04 PM

I have the Bob's Profab front suspension on my e-body nice setup up and I tell changing the oil pan is a breeze, not have to drop that drag link. His set up runs straight and true down the 1320.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cape
I was considering bobs pro fab but I don’t think he’s in business anymore. So my question is who would you go with if you were going to get rid of the torsion bar suspension and go Coilovers? Who makes the best kits? What’s the pros and cons to going Coilovers or just keeping the torsion bars.
My car is a street/strip 69 charger mostly geared for the strip though. I will drive it around but that’s it. It’s a 478 Hemi 827hp @7700 G101a transmission twin 8.5 racing clutch browel bell housing Dana 60 with 4.88 in it. I haven’t had it to the track yet I’m just putting it all back together now. Just wondering the people’s opinions on front suspend stuff. Right now I have the stock k frame with QA1 upper and lower control arms and strange disc brakes on the front and rear. If I forgot anything let me know. Thanks

best and most proven on the market today is the https://www.reillymotorsports.com/ easy install, top quality all the way around, second to none customer service.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe

best and most proven on the market today is the https://www.reillymotorsports.com/ easy install, top quality all the way around, second to none customer service.

That's the brand I am running, 8 years no issue s.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 01:25 PM

I bought an Alterkation for the Valiant , its a good product .. I will say these two things .

Why, after all of the K-Frames he has sold , can't he get the square tubing mandrel bent is beyond me and, he is not the greatest help before or after sale .

On my 67 I bought one from Carl Gerst

http://gerstsuspensions.com/products/

It is made very nice, looks very nice, fits , works very nice .. Carl will take your call almost any hour or the day, very helpful, it arrived before he promised it
and, it cost less than the ALTERKATION

I almost bought one from HDK too. , he was helpful and his product is nice
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 02:58 PM

+1 for GERST. It was ~$800 less than RMS when I priced them out. Install was easy. Very nice product!

[Linked Image]IMG_2719 by Greg Ault, on Flickr
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 03:31 PM

I have two Magnum Force kits on my current cars, and no issues with either.....
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe

I couldn't even get a call back or response to my email inquiry when I was looking at these set ups. Ended up going with Gerst. He has been great to work with.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/05/19 11:52 PM

I went with RMS and I upgraded the small U brackets. The customer service was excellent before and especially after and he was great to talk with and I am in Kanaka.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/06/19 02:51 AM

I went with Reilly........early A body , the track is wider than stock and I had a problem with the tire getting into the passenger side wheel well lip on the front edge.
Probably would not be an issue with stock dia, wheel and tire combo.
But the ride is great , and since I had to build headers for the deal , I think it was a great choice.
I spoke with Bill several times and even after purchase issues were a simple phone call from solved.

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/06/19 05:03 AM

Thanks for all the input. Seems like the story’s I’ve heard of tut frame bending from not having torsion bars is just not true. I do have frame connectors as well. I really was interested in people’s experiences with these kits and are they that much better then torsion bar suspension and by the sounds of it if you can afford it it’s the way to go. Thanks again
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/06/19 02:32 PM

[Linked Image]

While mine wouldn’t fit your criteria (race only, a bit on the dainty side)... the reasons you’re going this route you will appreciate. Car handles so nice! Great shocks available, room for any oil pan under the sun. Take it up another notch with custom headers to take advantage of all that “free” room. I like “easy” and working on the car with this set up definitely helps in that department.

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/06/19 05:19 PM

Which kit is that your using?

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/06/19 08:59 PM

Mine was built at Comp Chassis in Phoenix.... this pict was actually taken in April about a week before MaTS. I pretzeled it in a wheel stand along with bending the car. It has another new K in it now..... and wheelie bars that I should have had to begin with. W8 small block.... who knew! laugh2

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/06/19 09:00 PM

Tory Shellhamer also makes a front K set up in different forms. You can find his on Facebook
Posted By: caper

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/08/19 02:12 AM

Alterkation for me, great services.
suspension
Posted By: galen

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/08/19 05:41 PM

I ran a RMS on the 65. Putting a Gerst in my 68 pictured. It is a very nice piece with a lot of adjustability. I purchased it with an extra K member. One with RB mounts, one with Gen 2 hemi mounts.

Attached picture IMG_20181228_135523518.jpg
Posted By: dart440_72

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/11/19 07:17 PM

I am using an HDK from Denny. I love it! Easy to put. Straight as an arrow at speed!
Posted By: jcc

Re: Coilovers tubular k frames - 07/11/19 11:45 PM

Thanks for all the input. Seems like the story’s I’ve heard of tut frame bending from not having torsion bars is just not true. I do have frame connectors as well. I really was interested in people’s experiences with these kits and are they that much better then torsion bar suspension and by the sounds of it if you can afford it it’s the way to go. Thanks again

IMO, these are the 2,5 improvements you can expect:

1. Improved header clearance
2. Improved oil pan fitment
2,5 Lighter weight when going from drums to discs.

Any handling improvements will be because of lighter weight and correcting your alignment from a previous poor setting.

These coil over replacement tube members offer nearly nothing handling wise over a proper TB set-up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums