Moparts

Motor plate or Solid Mounts?

Posted By: Chargerfan68

Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/25/19 07:38 PM

Is approx 750 hp (500” with 4.15” stroke) too much to run solid mounts? Too much stress for the block in that mount area. Or, it is relatively safe and others have done it here for years?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/25/19 07:47 PM

All depends on how you are using the car. If you have a stick shift and are launching the car hard off the line round after round then I'd go with a motor plate. If it is a street car I'd use rubber mounts. Somewhere in between you just have to pick your poison.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/25/19 08:52 PM

The thought of a motor plate is good but in actual use I didn't like it. Maybe you need those poly lock or Schmacher mounts. You know, the kind in urethane and if it breaks, the steel catches it.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/25/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman
The thought of a motor plate is good but in actual use I didn't like it. Maybe you need those poly lock or Schmacher mounts. You know, the kind in urethane and if it breaks, the steel catches it.

Those mounts are only good for stockish builds, barely.....I like a motor plate myself. But friends on my run a set of new stock mounts and that Mancini helm jointed adjustable brace for a mainly street driven car.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/25/19 09:36 PM

Can you expand on this thought? This was something I went back and forth and eventually went motor plate (stick shift, nitrous).

I ended up going motor plate this time because with the oil pan/lines, headers and steering/torsion bars it was easier to get the mounts out of the way. The motor plate occupies space (66 b-body) that was for the most part unused so gaining any room in the devils matrix (that area between the block, headers, steering box and oil pan) was of great benefit. I would think doing away with torsion bars and going to a rack would solve some of those issues too.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/25/19 09:43 PM

I ran the Schumakers for a few years , then they melted and collapsed
I now have the bolt through type , Mancini and 440 Source sell them
https://www.manciniracing.com/maheduenmo.html
PLUS I use a torque strap from K fram to motor mount bracket on block
https://www.alllifting.com.au/colle...products/rated-rigging-screw-jaw-and-jaw

No dramas for the last year or so . I do run a transbrake .
Not sure I want to go to a plate for daily street use .

Tex
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/25/19 10:07 PM

I love my motor plate.. car runs very smooth.. I dont feel any vibrations
at all even in OD
wave
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/26/19 03:23 AM

Been using a plate for 25 years AND a spool.You know the history whistling

Attached picture 2.19.17 032.jpg
Attached picture 3.23.17 014.jpg
Attached picture 7.24.17 036.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/26/19 12:24 PM

I run a motorplate and love it. It makes everything easier...engine R&R, clearance for headers/oiling system, and a place to mount everything up front.
The vibration difference is minimal IMO.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/26/19 01:41 PM

40 years ago we just used a chain with a turnbuckle to hold the drivers side down with stock rubber motor mounts!...LOL

Attached picture 3.12.18 090.jpg
Attached picture Oldies 003.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4628.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/26/19 02:35 PM

Since my 63 is a street car I run a solid steel mount on the drivers side that you can barely see under the # 1 plug wire. I also left the chain on for back-up. On the pass side I run the standard rubber eng mount. This has worked fine for me for many years. I race it once or twice a year usually. Ron

[Linked Image]
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/26/19 04:17 PM

Diapers are easier with plates also.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Motor plate or Solid Mounts? - 06/26/19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

Can you expand on this thought? This was something I went back and forth and eventually went motor plate (stick shift, nitrous).

I ended up going motor plate this time because with the oil pan/lines, headers and steering/torsion bars it was easier to get the mounts out of the way. The motor plate occupies space (66 b-body) that was for the most part unused so gaining any room in the devils matrix (that area between the block, headers, steering box and oil pan) was of great benefit. I would think doing away with torsion bars and going to a rack would solve some of those issues too.

The thought of it is freeing up the space to have better access to almost everything under the car. It just makes it easier to work under there. And it gives you a place to mount stuff too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums