Moparts

Oil pump

Posted By: jkwedge540

Oil pump - 06/21/19 01:20 AM

Getting ready to build a 500 inch 440. Whitch oil pump do yo guys recommend. Going to spin it no more then 6200.street car mostly.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 01:50 AM

I would do some basic oil passage mods & start with a std vol pump & see what you get for pressure. Not sure of a preferred brand, oil pumps are very trouble free as a rule. Just check several clearances/relief valve moves free.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 01:56 AM

I agree. Your engine is fresh. Bearings are tight. (Not wore out.) Stock Melling pump will probably work fine. If not you can put the Melling high volume on. Now-a-days the trend is to get away from the huge oil pumps and high pressure of the past.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 02:38 AM

Titan oil pump is excellant.
I've heard great results from the new Milodon oil system and believe it or not, the indy max oil pump is good.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 02:40 AM

Very important to disassemble and radius your passages to make flow as smooth as possible. twocents

Gus beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 05:44 AM

Mellings or Speed Pro high volume oil pumps only for my street motors with stock type oil pans up twocents
I've seen way to many BB motors with spun rod bearings due to oil starvation puke
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 11:01 AM

I've always run Milodon pumps. Cheap insurance.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 11:44 AM

It's usually pretty hard to go wrong with an M63HV.

A little prep work goes a long way. The old tech archives (not the one with every post someone felt like saving....the other older one) has some good info on that.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
It's usually pretty hard to go wrong with an M63HV.

A little prep work goes a long way. The old tech archives (not the one with every post someone felt like saving....the other older one) has some good info on that.

ITS WHAT I USE !

HAD THE SAME ONE ON DIFFERENT MOTORS FOR 20+ YEARS NOW !
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 04:27 PM

Bearing clearance is the determining factor, if your clearances are on the tight side, all a HV pump is gonna do is raise the pressure and cause parasitic loss.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jkwedge540
Getting ready to build a 500 inch 440. Whitch oil pump do yo guys recommend. Going to spin it no more then 6200.street car mostly.

The standard volume oil pump is all you need for a low RPM engine with normal bearing clearances. You might want to shim the spring to build a little more pressure but that depends on bearing clearances and oil viscosity. Sometimes you just have to try it to see what the engine needs.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

The standard volume oil pump is all you need for a low RPM engine with normal bearing clearances. You might want to shim the spring to build a little more pressure but that depends on bearing clearances and oil viscosity. Sometimes you just have to try it to see what the engine needs.

iagree

I the OP's situation a HV will just be blowing oil through the bypass and wasting energy. You can spend money in a lot better places than a fancy oil pump on this type of build.
Posted By: jkwedge540

Re: Oil pump - 06/21/19 09:32 PM

So a standard Mellings pump is good?

Re: Oil pump - 06/22/19 01:11 AM

Yup.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Oil pump - 06/22/19 01:26 PM

I too would suggest standard volume pump. But I do get the high pressure. But that would probably be unnecessary as well for a lower rpm build at your power level.

Always worthwhile to open them up, make sure the two halves align properly, and clean up the hard edges.

Re: Oil pump - 06/22/19 02:42 PM

do as many block oil mods as you feel comfortable with/blueprint the pump/alot of passage deburring (it is needed). that way your foundation is solid & the correct selection of add ons will give you what you want with the solid foundation in place (oiling/cooling etc). You might peruse Sanborns oiling/cooling mods that are in a sticky at www.moparchat then scroll down to & click on "circle track chat". SB stuff but alot is relevent for a BB. (long read but worth it).

Re: Oil pump - 06/23/19 02:36 PM

The most popular mods ...

Attached picture BB oil mods 2.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Oil pump - 06/23/19 02:51 PM

stanton, thank you for that diagram ! up sums it up nicely.
beer

Re: Oil pump - 06/23/19 04:50 PM

agreed, I gotta get my printer fixed!
© 2024 Moparts Forums