Moparts

What 1.6 rockers would you buy?

Posted By: 451Guy

What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/18/09 04:54 PM

Hey Guys,

I am considering buying some 1.6 ratio rockers this summer for my street car. I am running the 509 cam but the comp version. It is a copy of the mopar cam but it has a little more duration on the exhaust side. This is mainly a street car but it will see occasional thrashing at the track when required.
My question is who's rockers are you using and is the swap worth the expense?

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/19/09 02:39 PM

No one runs 1.6 Rockers on a Big Block?
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/19/09 02:48 PM

I used to have 1.6 Harland-Sharp rockers. On the new bullet I have 1.6 T&D rockers.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/19/09 02:49 PM

I would try the Crane Gold 1.6 for something like that. Or the rockers from Hughes Engines. The Hughes would be my first choice.
Posted By: boomer

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/19/09 02:53 PM

I wouldn't bother for a street car that would occasionally see the track. There will be no "seat of the pants" difference between 1.6 and 1.5 rockers and it probably will only help your E.T a tenth .
Posted By: jyrki

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 06:27 AM

I WOULD buy Erson rockers. The only problem is, that they don't make them any longer. The design and quality was great, and the price less than T&D's or Jesels, had they only advertised somewhere they would have been popular enough to continue the production.
Posted By: 65 Belv A990

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 07:58 AM

Quote:

I would try the Crane Gold 1.6 for something like that. Or the rockers from Hughes Engines. The Hughes would be my first choice.

IMO with anything over 200-225 Lbs on the seat, I would stay as far away from the Crane Golds as I could. That is unless you are looking for a $340 set of one season throwaways. I agree in a street car there will be little to no seat in the pant's difference between a 1.5 or 1.6 ratio rockers. T&D’s and Jesels are the stoutest but a waste of BIG dollars in your application. Harland Sharps have always been good to me but for extreme street duty and close to the same price, the stainless steel bushed RAS roller tipped rockers look hard to beat. With the RAS rocker arms, you have no worries if an arm did somehow split sending needle bearings everywhere. Another advantage of the bushings is they tend to hold oil pressure in the shafts a little better than the caged needle bearings. They would be my 1st choice on any head utilizing standard factory offset rocker gear, a stout cam with street longevity in mind. Just my

Ed.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 08:52 AM

Here you go..

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4561285&Main=3783502

Chris..

Attached picture 5106122-440RAAssy..gif
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 02:56 PM

Yep, the RAS stuff is a life time purchase. Buy that setup and run them forever on a street car. They are expensive to buy (when compared to the cheap Chinese stuff) but they'll last forever.

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 03:03 PM

Thanks Guys,

I am currently running the crane gold rockers but I am concerned with longevity. I try to drive my car as much as I can in the summer and reliability is important. I have sent an email to RAS and I am just waiting for a response. I do like the design of there rockers.

Thanks again for the responses!

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 04:27 PM

I'm not sure Gary even knows how to use email! Probably better call if you want a response from RAS.
Posted By: patrick

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 05:00 PM

crane makes some ductile iron 1.6's for BBM's, they list at $27 ea at summitracing...

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 05:27 PM

Crane is an option. I'd recommend buying one pair of rockers first and checking the geometry to see how the pads line up on the valves. In my experience, the Crane nodular rocker arms don't always fit properly.

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 06:32 PM

Thanks Guys!

Maybe I will Call - I have the same e-mail issue on occasion!
Posted By: Scott58

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 06:39 PM

I'm also considering the RAS 1.6 rockers for the 493 buildup I'm doing. Any comments ( pros & cons) on cup versus ball ends on the adjusters?

Scott
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/20/09 08:07 PM

I think if you put them on the exhaust side your wasting
your money... even on a race engine... unless your
cam is WAY out of spec for the exhaust side, its not
like the intake side where you only have the atmospheric
pressure pushing the air/fuel in, on the exhaust side
the piston is pushing it out. For the street I wouldnt
waste the money..... JMO
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: What 1.6 rockers would you buy? - 03/21/09 01:37 PM