Moparts

Smaller Oil Filter

Posted By: Kindafast

Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 01:54 PM

Hey guy's before I go down to the auto parts and start searching do any of you know of a smaller , as in shorter and a little more narrow oil filter that will screw on the factory spot on a small block ? I bought some TTI big tube headers and the only way I can put the filter on is to loosen the headers so the oil filter will go by. Once it's on there the headers fit good but are a little close to the filter. Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to try a 90* part or a remote filter setup. Thanks.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 02:18 PM

Fram PH 16 or WIX 51085 is the small one that came on the magnum engines. Should fit your needs.

Robert

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 02:38 PM

Thanks , I knew there were some smart people on here. !!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 02:38 PM

I use the Mopar 409 filter on my stuff. You can get it at a dealer or buy it online.

Attached picture DSC_9373 (Large).JPG
Posted By: moparx

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 04:23 PM

eherenburg did a filter size comparison [using fram] years ago in Mopar Action magazine. all had the same gasket size, but there was considerable difference in the case sizes.
i thought this was archived, but i couldn't find it just now. if no one comes up with a link, i'll dig out my paper copy.
beer
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 04:43 PM

NAPA 1515 is the long filter. 1068 is a little shorter. 1085 is shorter yet. Add a 5 in front for the Wix number.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 05:08 PM

Please bear with me this is my 1st attempt to add a pic since the chaneover...

Attached picture Oil_filters.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 05:39 PM

I recently (the last year or so) went to the car quest branded wix 51068 (85068) for all my 3/4-16 old school Mopar filter needs.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 05/31/19 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info folks!
I was wondering the same thing now that I am putting headers on my 318 73 wagon.

Attached picture FB_IMG_1540608926384_resized.jpg

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/01/19 01:50 AM

You guys are always great . Thanks for the info..
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/01/19 11:13 AM

I am sure this lines up with some of the info above but I use the Mopar filter that fits the Jeep 4.0 in my 97 Cherokee. It fits my big tube W2 TTI headers great. I think the Mopar number is like an M090 or something.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/01/19 12:49 PM

On a side note I would not get a fram filter.
Posted By: kwikblownhemi

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/01/19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert

I wouldn't use one on a bicycle.

For twenty years I blew-off people who said they were junk. Then I witnessed failures of three Fram filters on three different vehicles.

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/01/19 01:21 PM

I have heard the same thing about Fram too. My engine builder told me long ago to not use them. Will check out the Mopar filter the next time I need to change the oil. I have a Purolator on there now but it most likely will not fit around the headers when I take it off. Maybe 1/16 too wide to fit between the header and the frame rail.

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/01/19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jwilli500
Please bear with me this is my 1st attempt to add a pic since the chaneover...

that's the one ! up thanks for posting this !
beer

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/01/19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert

nor would i ! shake_head tsk i mentioned that article because of the size reference. just cross the fram numbers over to wix, or your favorite brand of quality.

there are several other size filters in the Wix brand that can come in handy, bigger and smaller.
if you or anyone else can supply me with a "size" you may need that is different than the fram chart shows, [length, diameter, both] pm me and i will look up what is available in my Wix master catalog.
beer
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/02/19 12:51 AM

i mentioned that article because of the size reference. just cross the fram numbers over to wix, or your favorite brand of quality.
& very much appreciated
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/02/19 11:52 AM

The Mopar filters seem to work well. My understanding is that they are made by Purolator.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: Smaller Oil Filter - 06/06/19 09:17 PM

I use a Neon oil filter on my small block
© 2024 Moparts Forums