Moparts

BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH

Posted By: 68LAR

BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/24/19 06:59 PM

What is the best bang for the buck for a trailer winch? I had been using a Dyna-Batt. It gave up the ghost over the winter. Will hold 10.95 volts, no more. Charged it for three days straight on 2 amp setting...Need another, but don't want to spend $2-300 for one.. Any suggestions??
Posted By: nss guy

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/24/19 07:06 PM

How much do you use the winch? Everytime you load and unload the car? If you use it sparingly, I use my jump box. Just a suggestion.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/24/19 07:19 PM

I bought a big RV battery from Walmart for around 100.00 last year. Two year guarantee. I use it for my inverter in my Trailer too
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/24/19 07:43 PM

hi
repeated discharging you will need a deep cycle RV battery NAPA 8240, drawtite hitches sells a kit to keep battery charged from tow vehicle
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/24/19 09:05 PM

I have a take out Mercedes Benz battery in my older trailer for 10 years and it is still working like it did day one. That battery is out of an 05 CLS500. I don't charge it unless the generator is on in the trailer..My new trailer came with a deep cycle Interstate and so far so good but only a few moths old.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/24/19 09:55 PM

Good Group 27 Deep Cycle. Interstate is good.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 12:51 AM

I pull the 10 year old optima blue top out of the wife’s boat. It also gets used to run my water pump/rad fan between rounds. No idea why this battery is still alive.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 01:09 AM

Depends on how your truck is wired.. I have a battery isolator with
a deep cycle for the winch.. when then the truck is running it will
charge the deep cycle
wave
Posted By: topside

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 01:36 AM

I just use a Group 24 that's in a battery box on the trailer, which I keep a battery maintainer on when the trailer's parked.
But usually, that battery & winch are also plugged into my Dually.
I use a plug at its back bumper that comes off its battery, or I can loop the trailer end to another plug that comes off the winch.
When the Dually's running, it can charge both batteries.
Reason I did it that way is in case I'm using the trailer behind something else instead of the Dually; I can still use the winch via the trailer battery.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 02:15 AM

Buy a good group 27 RV/Marine deep cycle up
Does your truck charge it when towing? Do you have a generator for the trailer that will charge it also? If no to both you need to remember to charge it when it gets down near 12.25 Volts up

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by nss guy
How much do you use the winch? Everytime you load and unload the car? If you use it sparingly, I use my jump box. Just a suggestion.

I don't use it very much. As a matter of fact, I had to use it for the first time in about three years, a few weeks ago. I had charged it a few times prior to that usage. I don't have it hooked up to my truck charging system. It is a stand alone battery that I have been charging after usage with a Battery Tender.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 01:15 PM

For that app a deep cycle is usually ideal but it looks like yours isn't the usual scenario and sitting for years between uses is hell on any battery.

The best bang for the buck as far as a new powerful battery goes is head to your nearest big truck dealer, Kenworth etc, and pick up a cranking battery. They are usually about $80 +/- and up to 1100 cold cranking amps.

Kevin
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 01:16 PM

A nice size deep cycle will cover your needs.. it will hold better power
before falling off
wave
Posted By: Leigh

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/25/19 09:56 PM

I have a suction cupped solar panel. I didn't think it was a good idea to expose it to the brutal Minnesota winters, so I removed the battery for winter. The panel seems to help at the track. I'll know more this season.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/26/19 12:44 PM

I have a Duracell (Made in the USA) Marine/RV battery from Sam's Club in my car hauler. Works great. Charge as needed in season, pull and store on shop bench with a Battery Tender during the winter.

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/26/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave
I have a Duracell (Made in the USA) Marine/RV battery from Sam's Club in my car hauler. Works great. Charge as needed in season, pull and store on shop bench with a Battery Tender during the winter.

I don't belong to Sams club, but my daughter does. What was the cost of your battery??

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/26/19 06:38 PM

I think that was the brand I bought from Walmart
Posted By: rick4106

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/26/19 07:24 PM

i use a regular 24 series battery and tie into power from tow rig to charge while towing. warranty better on car battery then deep cycle. lol

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/26/19 08:08 PM

Nope I was wrong it’s an Ever Start Max RV battery from Walmart
Posted By: nss guy

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/26/19 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 68LAR
Originally Posted by nss guy

I don't use it very much. As a matter of fact, I had to use it for the first time in about three years, a few weeks ago. I had charged it a few times prior to that usage. I don't have it hooked up to my truck charging system. It is a stand alone battery that I have been charging after usage with a Battery Tender.

1 time in 3 years, something like this might be more useful.

Attached picture 20190426_165754.jpg
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/26/19 09:18 PM

This might help you guys. When your pulling your trailer,you will automatically charge your trailer battery if you hook the #4 lead to your trailer battery. If you have a 7 lug connector.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: racerhog

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/27/19 02:58 PM

Use (2) deep Cycle Golfcart batteries...
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/27/19 06:41 PM

It sounds like you do not need a lot of power. If a lawn tractor battery has enuff oomph to run the winch, that is your cheapest at $30 a pop. Just keep it charged and replace it every couple years.

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/27/19 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 68LAR
Originally Posted by DynoDave

I don't belong to Sams club, but my daughter does. What was the cost of your battery??

Can't recall. Let me hunt up the receipt.

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/27/19 08:33 PM

August of '17, Duracell 24dc item # 347618, $74.87 with $18.00 core.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/29/19 04:27 PM

What I did was because I never wanted to have a dead battery for the winch. I put a solenoid under the hood of my truck directly to the battery. and ran welding cable back to the rear bumper. Then installed a 50 amp two pole anderson connector plug on the rear bumper with the corresponding plug on the trailer. Start the truck hit the switch for the solenoid and you have all the power you need. Cost is about $140 and never needs replacing. I also cut the clamp ends off a pair of jumper cables and put another anderson connector on. Now I can jump start something without opening the hood.

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 04/29/19 07:33 PM

What I've done is run a wire from power plug of trailer to positive term of winch battery. The truck charging system charges the winch battery while I'm driving.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 05/02/19 03:25 AM

Could you not run some cable from the battery of the truck and just use that? If you're winching start the truck up?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 05/02/19 06:43 PM

My truck also charges my battery on both my open trailer and enclosed trailers for the winches while driving down the road. I never buy any special battery. Whatever is on sale. I usually seem to get 7-8 years out of them.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: BEST BATTERY FOR TRAILER WINCH - 05/05/19 09:25 PM

Costco sells Interstate for what ever it’s worth. What is interesting they come with a 42 no co-pay/or warranty across the counter exchange. Their pricing is very good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums