Moparts

Good drag race only Powerglide shifter?

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 02:15 AM

I have a customer who wants to buy a good Power Glide drag race shifter that he can put a RPM activated electric solenoid on it to make it shift from the RPM module help
I have a older Phantom, now owned by Biondo and sold under their name now, shifter with a Shift Noid CO2 operated RPM activated solenoid on it that works good but he doesn't want the bottle and lines in his car.
Is the Precision brand ,PPP, better than most of the other bigger brands like B&M and Hurst shifters ? help
All help and comments welcomed up
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 03:08 AM

I also have a Phantom that I bought from John when he first came out with them. Great shifter. Biondo has that style shifter available with electric along with the Pro Stick/Quarter Stick style and some others. PPP does an electric unit and Shifnoid sells add on kits for a number of shifters. Never used an electric unit myself. We had CO2 running multiple things in the car, so it was an easy decision.
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 03:09 AM

Cab, take a look at Turbo Action with reverse pattern p!ate. Race tested, works good with Dedenbear electric shift solenoid hardware. Match gate plate with transbrake.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 05:05 AM

I just changed the gate on my Cheetah shifter. I had to turn the Dedenbear bracket upside down and tap the shifter arm for a bolt to ram against. Had some bugs that got worked out in short order. I also run an upside down bracket on the PG so the shifter now front exits and shifts forward. The ratio is super important. I've seen multiple PG's that guys had the wrong ratio and it would work fine but Park wouldn't always engage. I just didn't want to re-fab the car and spend 400 bucks on a new shifter.
Posted By: HR3128

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 11:43 AM

Here's my set-up. Hurst QuarterStick & Shiftnoid solenoid. It's worked good for me.

Attached picture IMG_0530.JPG
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by HR3128
Here's my set-up. Hurst QuarterStick & Shiftnoid solenoid. It's worked good for me.

Same thing in the Camaro I drive that we used to run 6.0 index (1/8 mile) classes with. Has worked flawless for years.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 04:41 PM

We have a PPP in the door car and a Bandit in the dragster. Dragster is electric door car is air.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 05:08 PM

While the Hurst Quarter Stick and B&M Pro Stick are similar and both work well (I used a Quarter Stick with the 3 speed and liked it after replacing the cheesy cable) the B&M comes with a true Morse cable and nicer hardware. A least it did the last time I had one in my hands.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Good drag race only Powerglide shifter? - 04/18/19 10:19 PM

I have a Quarter Stick with a Biondo solenoid in one car, and a Turbo Action shifter with a Biondo solenoid in the other. Both electric solenoids, and have never had any issues with either. I'm more comfortable with the solenoid on the Quarter Stick, than smacking the plastic on the TA shifter though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums