Moparts

Street stroker quench ??

Posted By: Stanton

Street stroker quench ?? - 04/08/19 09:33 PM

I have a 528" stroker for street use. Between decking the block to get the decks straight and line honing the pistons are now out of the hole .016". The 528" pistons have a very short skirt so piston rock also plays a part here. With the thickest Felpro head gasket (.052") I'm left with .036" quench. I think this is too close for comfort for a street motor. Using Cometic MLS gaskets isn't an option because the block (and probably the heads as well) don't have the correct RA finish. I contacted Cometic and they can make a standard style custom thickness gasket. Looking for some thoughts here. What's a "safe" quench dimension for a street motor?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/08/19 10:42 PM

I have and do currently run .030 on a SB without blinking an eye, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as piston to head.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/08/19 10:51 PM

Racers have successfully used Cometic gaskets with RA all over the map and copper coat
For quite some time now. I realize it's not perfect and it's not recommended by the manufacturer, but sometimes
You have to make do....
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/08/19 11:10 PM

You could probably shave a little off the tops of the pistons.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/08/19 11:40 PM

On my 512 low deck, I used the .051 Cometic with piston .016 out of the hole.

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 02:40 AM

The motor is fully assembled. Thicker custom head gaskets are the easy answer - if deemed necessary.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 02:47 AM

just ring Cometic and order the thickness you need .
I have 0.040gasket for 0.040-0.042 quench in my 505 , I think i ran 0.037-.0.038 quench on my old 505

Tex
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 03:10 AM

0.036" on a street engine should be fine. What is the peak RPM the engine see, 6,000 RPM?

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton

The motor is fully assembled. Thicker custom head gaskets are the easy answer - if deemed necessary.

Does the person who put the motor together with the pistons sticking out have any ideas on how to solve the problem?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 05:24 AM

.036 should be fine.. dont worry about the RA just use copper coat in it
wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 07:17 AM

Go through and check all eight pistons at TDC and use a thin bladed screw driver between the tops of the pistons on the cam side and motor mount side to rock the pistons as far over as you can get them both ways and measure the piston height above the decks on the outer edges and go from there scope
If you get .020 or less above the decks I would run it up If it is above .022 or more get a thicker head gasket up twocents
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 07:23 AM

Whose piston and whose rod? .035 is ok for a street engine but barely. RPMs will also come into play there. Hate to mention it now but you might want to check the Piston to valve with the pistons rocking around like you noted.
Todd

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 01:48 PM

Does the person who put the motor together with the pistons sticking out have any ideas on how to solve the problem?

No he doesn't. It pisses me off that he didn't measure the deck heights and do some basic math before machining things. At some point he could have said it was going to be tight and I would have found another block.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 02:14 PM

Been there, done that. Plenty of ways to skin a cat...one of them being (what I would do FWIW) first measure p-2-v. Provided there is adequate clearance remove pistons and chuck them up in a lathe with a thin aluminum band around the ring pack area (round grab) and cut .005" or so off the top, reassemble.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 02:15 PM

How close is the top ring to the deck? Is there a bevel at the top of the bore?

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66
How close is the top ring to the deck? Is there a bevel at the top of the bore?

The difference between where the piston is supposed to sit at TDC (-.009) and where it is (+.016) is not enough to matter about the ring or bevel.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 04:58 PM

Big bore, short piston........ I’d be shooting for around .050 piston to head clearance.

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 10:57 PM

No he doesn't. It pisses me off that he didn't measure the deck heights and do some basic math before machining things. At some point he could have said it was going to be tight and I would have found another block.

Yeah that is a bummer. Typically I'd get a call from the engine builder saying "um, your block is a little short. What should we do". I'd be pissed if I showed up and the pistons were sticking out of the holes since now you have limited options.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/09/19 11:42 PM

I think even with piston rock you will have 0.030" min clearance. That should be OK with steel rods and 6,000 RPM.

I know 0.020" is too tight on a 440, but the engine ran for quite some time until it was over-reved.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/10/19 12:53 AM

KInd of had the same scenario with the R1 block in my car. When we put it together the pistons were out of the hole, machine shop forgot to say that the block needed a little more taken off to square it up. We were able to fix the issue with .056 cometic gaskets. I will say the cometic have worked great and I will re use them after this top end refresh.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/11/19 04:13 AM

I used a .051 Cometic with the piston +.002" out of the bore at TDC on my 511 with 4.375 bore. This gives me .049" quench inline with the pin and .037" on either side when I rock the piston either way. Hope this helps.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/12/19 05:02 AM

How about the FelPro 8519SP block saver spacer? Does it have big enough holes for the pistons? $17 each on RA.

R.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/13/19 03:43 PM

I ran .074 Cometic gaskets on my old 440 and the block and heads were just machined by the standard way. And they worked fine as they never leaked and the eng is still running fine in a friends car. I built the eng and had it running in my car in 2006. Ron
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/13/19 06:55 PM

Just order the proper thickness gasket and you’re done. It’s notning to worry about. It’s easier to achieve quench with them out of the hole vs in the hole.

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/13/19 07:42 PM

Wondering if I can stack three stock-style .019 steel gaskets ??

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/14/19 12:57 AM

Are you feeling lucky? work
I wouldn't do that tsk

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/14/19 01:36 PM

Are you feeling lucky? work
I wouldn't do that tsk

I was just a thought.

So what would cause contact with the head anyway? I have .035 quench. Let's say for the hell of it the piston rocks .010. Where's the other .025 go in order for the piston to contact the head ??

Re: Street stroker quench ?? - 04/14/19 05:37 PM

My old pump gas stroker motor was at zero deck height with dished pistons using having .035 piston the head clearances that would touch the heads with the edges of the pistons on both sides of those pistons whiney
They didn't touch with .042 clearances up
Back then I wasn't rocking the pistons to check the pistons edge deck heights realcrazy I do now thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums