Moparts

Can we please take a sanity check here?

Posted By: BradH

Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 10:18 PM

Since "Senor Cerdo Gordo" (that's Mr. Fat Pig, for those who don't speak Spanish) is no longer with us, this will have to come directly from me.

Why is it that just about every thread on this forum where people don't agree 100% on something turns into a snarky catfight ?

I've started posting more on SpeedTalk since it's come back up after Don Terrell's unexpected passing, and those guys can't seem to keep it on the rails, either.

And I was looking for some non-Mopar tech stuff the other day and it led me to a -- get ready for it -- Corvette enthusiast site (and, no, I don't own one). Those guys were not only a-holes, but pompous & ignorant a-holes.

It's bad enough that I don't want to go to the legit(?) news sites these days because it's full of the current status quo of chaos, but it's started to become a lot less interesting & entertaining to hit the gearhead sites, too. If I want to "hear" people sniping and b!tching about each other all the time, I can hang out with my 3 kids and their friends.

As much as I hate this expression, because it's been waaay overused... "Just sayin'"
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 10:23 PM

Then go spend more time outside of your own head, like actually working on your car or junk it and take up needle point.

Not enough violins in your state to cover how much your heart bleeds over junk that only half ever makes any sense, might consider a med to help your thought patterns function better.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 10:31 PM

Ooooo.... that probably wont help.😂

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by EV2Bird
Then go spend more time outside of your own head, like actually working on your car or junk it and take up needle point.

Not enough violins in your state to cover how much your heart bleeds over junk that only half ever makes any sense, might consider a med to help your thought patterns function better.

laugh2

And you have a WONDERFUL life, too!
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 10:50 PM

I’ve reached a point where it really takes something out of the ordinary, something extra “special”, to even get me raise an eyebrow anymore.

Though, occasionally someone will come up with a particularly creative retort that I’ll get a nice chuckle out of.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 10:59 PM

I ignore the idiots and just keep working on my stuff. Not saying that approach will work for everyone but it seems to be the best approach for me. I've come to the conclusion that only about 1% or 2% of the population are jerks but they seem to punch above their weight just because they are annoying. If you engage with them you just waste valuable time that can be spent elsewhere. Use the ignore button and keep on trucking. There are always a few folks on every forum who just post snark. Since they never seem to post anything valuable you can safely ignore them. Once you ignore the snark the forum becomes more valuable.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 11:03 PM

Might not be wonderful at the moment, but im not on the web whining about being in a wheel chair 2.5 months out of the last six, or my brother dying very young age less then 90 days ago. (I did mention it one time though).

So today I could stand for the first time in five weeks so vs complaing why life sucks I started to cut another set of tiny heads for bigger valves......

So what did you do on your car today vs think and dream?

Originally Posted by BradH
Originally Posted by EV2Bird

laugh2

And you have a WONDERFUL life, too!

Attached picture DSC00086.JPG
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 11:47 PM

Hemi face says: have a great day.

And don't let the grouchy old b@$+@(ds get ya down....like I have been known to from time to time.

Attached picture Screenshot_2019-03-06-11-17-32.jpg
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/28/19 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I ignore the idiots and just keep working on my stuff. Not saying that approach will work for everyone but it seems to be the best approach for me. I've come to the conclusion that only about 1% or 2% of the population are jerks but they seem to punch above their weight just because they are annoying. If you engage with them you just waste valuable time that can be spent elsewhere. Use the ignore button and keep on trucking. There are always a few folks on every forum who just post snark. Since they never seem to post anything valuable you can safely ignore them. Once you ignore the snark the forum becomes more valuable.

1% or 2% of the population are jerks??? Andy, you are much too kind. If you put an 8 in front of those numbers we could agree. Go to a drag strip and you can put a 9 in front of it.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 12:16 AM

People who might be more polite in person become tigers when concealed by the 'et.
I'm too old to care.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 01:39 AM

Most left in this hobby are just self promoting chest thumpers. The good ones are gone. Enjoy the car with your family. Forget the car culture. thumbs
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 02:20 AM

Small people are going to be small, it's not just this forum.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 02:37 AM

Law of averages.
Put 100 people in a room and you will have just about one of everything.
Andy is too kind...........I put it around 10 % A holes on average , though gun and knife groups skew that curve.
How many members here ?
You are going to see a bit of everything , but the safety of the anonymity that the internet provides can ramp those numbers up too.
I haven't done any serious scientific research on the subject , but I'd venture that 3 to 5 % are nuttier than squirrel poop too.
The true wild cards in the internet deck.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 02:46 AM

Its coming to the end of winter.. guys havent had their cars out yet and
tempers are short... chill out its warming up
wave
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 03:13 AM

Lost my sanity years ago.I'm just a tunafish in a big ocean.We do still have professionals that still post which makes moparts the best MOPAR forum.Thank you guys for hanging here all these years and wading through the brown water.You know who you are up thumbs

Attached picture 04 - Tech Support.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 03:24 AM

You have two profiles and you want to talk sanity???
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
Its coming to the end of winter.. guys havent had their cars out yet and
tempers are short... chill out its warming up
wave

I’ve already broke my junk! laugh2 (Not really that funny, but what can you do?)
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 04:09 AM

Its your fault stirthepot
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by J_BODY

Yep. I agree. I knew a guy that would post on the S/SS racers board under two names long ago and fight with himself and brag on his good deeds the next day.

We have the ignore button. I use it quite often. Once in awhile, I’ll peak in to see if they have changed their ways. They never do. Back on the ignore list they go.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 09:57 AM

Funny, my son and I had this conversation last night about Facebook...but on here lately it seems to be a similar situation and it's called plastic balls or keyboard warriors, whichever you prefer. People get on the internet and type stuff they would NEVER say to your face. I recommended this board to two of my friends...neither lasted, now if they run into a question they ask me and if I don't know I ask on here for them. I have met and dealt with some awesome folks on here, but it's pretty easy to watch the madness and figure out who to stay away from...no harm...no foul...to each their own, peace. punkrocka up
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 10:49 AM

I have found that on any forum, there are guys that talk crap just to stir it up, there are guys that think they know what they are talking about but don't have a clue, there are guys that might add some food for thought, and there are guys that are dead on. Just like fuel systems have different micron filters, you have to set your ears, eyes and brain to the right filters. Just to be safe, I usually set my filters a little high. It helps keep me from getting all wound up. I can also look at all of the useless responses in a more jovial manor instead of my head going "Why did I bother?".
From another perspective, I have found that when I put in a sincere response to people and back up my statements, most people tend to get back to me for a more in depth answer, weather on open forum or in a PM. I have seen this pattern on multiple sites. It makes you feel good that you are actually helping someone.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 11:15 AM

laugh2 laugh2 realcrazy

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 11:18 AM

Had, not have. I detailed that whole deal; don't confuse two accounts with a multiple personality disorder.

It's interesting how my comments were intended only to make people consider being more civil to each other in their posts, yet they made some people angry and/or feel the need to lash out or get snarky.

Seems like everyone has their own strategy or opinion on dealing (or not dealing) with the subject. I chose to bring it up; how others respond (whether acknowledging the same observation or busting my balls for commenting on it) isn't really my concern. I'm good, and that's as much as I need to say on the subject.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 11:19 AM

[Linked Image]

I think a lot of the attitude and intention of the people responses is lost in text, something that makes you sound like an a hole on here may not have sounded the same when having this discussion over the the hood of a car in the pits. And some people just aren't good at delivering information in a way that everyone likes.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 11:46 AM

isn't this a "tech" forum ????

Just goes with the purple shaft, Dana 60 mentality of a true Joe dirt kind of Mopar guy...

That's all...LMAO ! ! !

Just look at the Gen3 hemi thread..YES they are impressive, and if you look at the Nay sayers in there, you will wee what I mean. Why would you argue with a better mousetrap ??? IF it makes power and they sure do...why fight it. Its new technology... Just look at Josh Kings Duster, can drive it anywhere , it street car heavy and its fast...

I just take it all with a big grain of salt...
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 02:42 PM

moparts has always had negative issues with people. get on some other websites and mention moparts and wait for a response.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 03:04 PM

I think that is just the way the internet has made our society. It's easy to shoot off your mouth when the person you are talking to will never see you in person. I have always been one to ask questions and try to answer them, on forums, at the track, or wherever. If I get answers off the wall, most of the time I just ignore them. When several sources tell me the same thing, I feel more comfortable acting on the advice. There are a lot of old wives tales regarding performance stuff. Many times you simply have to ask the tech guys at the companies, but sometimes even that info is wrong. Seems no tech guy will admit to a problem with a product, even when confronted with good evidence something is wrong. So when I get a company who will not help fix a problem they caused, I simply vote with my wallet. It seems also that a group of guys will kind of take ownership of a forum and trash anyone new who tries to jump in and post. Seen it on a lot of forums. If you keep posting with good info they gradually accept you and respect your input.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/29/19 06:25 PM

500 years ago, there was BBS Rule #1: every response to a post was directed at the content, not the author.
This is completely ignored today.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/30/19 09:14 AM

If you think this place is bad you should try some of the facebook groups blush confused mad grin
Posted By: dart games

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/30/19 09:16 AM

they do the same on facebook,your not going to get away from it
Posted By: Tig

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/30/19 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 69b1dart
they do the same on facebook,your not going to get away from it

I know, I was being ironic, they're way worse IMHO. It's a paragon of discretion here in comparison grin
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/30/19 11:46 AM

I just can't do most of the Mopar facebook groups. The amount of bad info that flows when people ask questions is 5000x what it is on a message board. There is a few that have good info and good members but the public groups are amazingly horrible.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/30/19 02:09 PM

the questions i ask here have one thing in common. i respect the people that take the time to try to steer my old bones in the correct direction. i know i have a twisted sense of humor, so some answers are amusing, but most are sincere in their responses.
i'm also not afraid to go against the norm, trying things just to "see what happens", so please don't hold that against me.

when i try to answer questions, i use my life's experiences [as best as i recall them] of 50yrs playing with four wheel wonders, to throw out what has worked for me. it may not meet the expectations of some, but i have had success.

i hope to continue enjoying this forum and the talent that lies within. up
beer
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Can we please take a sanity check here? - 03/30/19 02:52 PM

As long as people keep giving the excuse "Oh well, what are you going to do?", the problem will continue. On another site that I am on, firearms related, we have several people that specialize in ****stirring rudeness. What I do now, when they get really bad, is call them out. I post that their comments are unacceptable and unwarranted, and then, frequently, other posters will chime in, calling the culprit out in a civilized way. It is called "self-policing" and it works more often than you would think. Some hardcore tools won't learn, but many get the message, some just move on to sites where this behaviour is tolerated. Personally, if I had my own site, moderators would be encouraged to give time outs to posters who repeatedly behave this way. Ignoring bad behaviour is no answer...ever! I have seen too many knowlegable, helpful people
end up leaving and leaving a void, because of this rude minority. Anyone who defends this behavior is also part of the problem. To paraphrase an old saying "Evil can only flourish, if good men stand by and do nothing".
© 2024 Moparts Forums