Moparts

What piston stop for a big block?

Posted By: furious70

What piston stop for a big block? - 03/24/19 08:00 PM

What's the best one for an oem head, 9:1 engine?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/24/19 10:33 PM

I made my own on the first one, I knock all the center porcylen and center electrode out of the spark plug and inserted a long 5/16( I think that was the size) bolt with a nut on the cylinder side to lock and hold the bolt into plug body and used it as my first piston stop with the head on.
You can buy them from most any tool truck, they are usually brass or bronze mix also which is good up scope
one of the ones I've bought had a small hole in the center to relive the pressure when moving the piston up towards TDC, I think it whistle also confused
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 12:48 AM

Yes get one with the hole in the center.

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 01:38 AM

I see 14mm and 18mm ones listed but no sae?

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by furious70
What motor are you wanting the SAE one for? What size and thread count do you want?
All the American made car I know of use either a 18MM or a 14MM thread spark plug shruggy

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 10:45 AM

BB Mopar.
A lot of the ones I saw listed on Amazon said small gas engines and chain saws so wasn't sure if I'm missing something.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 04:09 PM

14MM
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by furious70

Spark plugs went metric back around 1930.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 04:54 PM

as I recall spark plugs were invented overseas in England that's why they are metric??
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 05:55 PM

Harley plugs 18mm: 1909

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 06:16 PM

All the flathead Ford motors I've seen including the 1923 Model T 4 cylinders had 18 MM plugs, maybe some of the earlier cars ones had bigger ones shruggy
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 440lebaron
as I recall spark plugs were invented overseas in England that's why they are metric??

Not sure where they were invented but Albert Champion was a French guy who had a lot of early commercial success making plugs. I think he went on to be the founder of AC Delco also. Some early Fords use pipe threads for plugs but gradually all the popular stuff moved to metric.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/25/19 07:21 PM

Of course....... I don’t think England was on board with the metric system “back in the day”.

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/26/19 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

Of course....... I don’t think England was on board with the metric system “back in the day”.

You are correct on that up Them dang English and their English standards rant
That is not to say we Americans have never done that type of thing to go against the worlds standards whistling
Posted By: Gavin

Re: What piston stop for a big block? - 03/26/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

Hey ...we still aren't eek
Actually, we're kind of schizophrenic - still universally use miles and mph, milk sold in pints (let's not go there...), sometimes use lbs weight....but at school even oldies like me did all my maths, and Engineering degrees in metric, and pretty much everything else is metric too. I'm just about used to deg C in the weather forecast....but I speak deg F too grin
© 2024 Moparts Forums