Moparts

Shock settings, radial to bias

Posted By: justinp61

Shock settings, radial to bias - 03/21/19 02:56 AM

I run a local street car shoot out deal when I can at my local track. My Dart has 325 M/T drag radials and with no prep I have trouble getting ahold of the track so I'm considering a pair of Hoosier 28- 14.5 QTP's. The car has Viking d/a adjustable shocks front and rear. What shock adjustments would I need to make going from radial to bias?

Thanks, Justin
Posted By: tex013

Re: Shock settings, radial to bias - 03/21/19 05:05 AM

my understanding is they are almost opposite .
IE : radial loose extension , tighter compression . Rag tyre tighter extension and less compression . You need to hit the radial harder and hold it there .
BUT
I only run radials , so what do I know confused
My Vikings are 10 clicks clockwise compression and 5 clicks clockwise extension . They are also valved to suit radials . Rear . I have single adjust QA1 on font at full loose .

Tex
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Shock settings, radial to bias - 03/21/19 06:16 AM

On the front I would loosen up the extension and stiffen it up midway on the compression, rebound.
On the rear I would split the extension halfway and same on the compression and go from there luck
If we knew the weight, HP and body style we might be able to get you closer shruggy
Posted By: dvw

Re: Shock settings, radial to bias - 03/21/19 09:28 AM

You have to smack a radial hard and hold it down. loosen rebound, tighten compression as the track is poorer. It also likes a higher and shorter instant center. Loosening the front possibly help if traction is very poor. However radials on no prep is tough, Bias ply much better.
Doug
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Shock settings, radial to bias - 03/21/19 09:53 AM

Thanks guys. up

Cab my car is a 69 Dart, pump gas small block, 727, 3350#, cal tracs and monos. It's ran 6.40 almost 109 in the 1/8.
Posted By: Ian

Re: Shock settings, radial to bias - 03/21/19 10:45 AM

On a average track with a 275 radial,@3550 1.37 s 112@6.0 set up was front 3 from full loose ex and 3 from tight comp with max front end travel, and rear halfway on comp and 3 to 4 from full loose if the frack is good you can tighten it up but if its crap stay loose tyre pressure was 17 cold
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Shock settings, radial to bias - 03/21/19 04:59 PM

Radials - aggressive suspension, separation, loose rebound, tight bump. Quite different from slicks. Hard to find a tune that will work for both with just a shock change, but, if I were trying, I would make the baseline aggressive and put a good shock on it be able to control it either way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums