Moparts

adding PCV

Posted By: mcat4321

adding PCV - 03/20/19 01:11 AM

i want to add a PVC to these valve covers, what would be my best course of action?

Attached picture 52695009_10217894055133646_8244578930313396224_o.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 01:28 AM

std setup would be a PCV in one valve cover (plumbed to carb base) & a breather in the other valve cover. Not sure which one would be the best (flow amt) for your app & that is new area for me & I'm sure would depend on the cam etc but there is a pic/info of an adjustable one ($$$$$) on page 3 in Q&A. I would Google it also
Posted By: AndyF

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 01:34 AM

You'll need to remove one of the breathers and replace it with a PCV. If those breathers mount on tubes then you'll need to fabricate a plug to go in the tube so the PCV has a place to mount. You can use a Ford FE screw in type PCV for a custom application like that.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 01:46 AM

I know what you're getting at because I have the same setup and every time I wash the car I have to wash the engine compartment as there is hints of oil in the dirt. It doesn't just wipe off. Is that a hemi A;body? Sweet!
Posted By: madscientist

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 02:31 AM

Google ME Wagner and order an adjustable PCV valve from them. Anything else is a waste of time.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 02:48 AM

A stock pre 1970 PCV bolt in held with a nut with the stock push on PVC style cap will work fine for your application with the existing K&N breather cap.
All the stock street hemi motors that had chrome valve covers came with chrome PVC caps also scope
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by madscientist
Google ME Wagner and order an adjustable PCV valve from them. Anything else is a waste of time.

so a $5 just won't work.......why not? a little info with your statement might be helpful.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 11:37 AM

1969 and earlier street hemi pcv is the path of least resistance. Take one breather off tbe tube, put the pcv in the tube, run the hose as desired. The valve clips into a metal cap which sits inside the tube.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 01:20 PM

If you have a completely stock set-up, then a stock PCV would probably suffice. But if the engine has any mods, then an adjustable PCV has some real benefits. Very few things are 'one size fits all'. That is true for PCVs, too.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444

https://www.powerperformancenews.com/tech/an-adjustable-pcv-valve-for-the-street/
Posted By: madscientist

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 03:17 PM

DaveR answered before I saw this, but, like everything else, the PVC system was a serious set of compromises. An adjustable PCV valve is just that. I've used them to clean up dead stock rebuilds and they are worth it every time. Unless you are so cheap it doesn't matter if you can make it better or not.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 04:09 PM

Any cam with perhaps10° or more greater .050" duration than stock has greater exhaust contamination of the chamber at overlap, and reduced idle vacuum.
The amount of air admitted by the PCV is added to the air through the carburetor(s), so it affects your idle's throttle plate position w/r/t spark advance and tip-in response
The Wagner allows you to adjust these factors.
One less thing to worry about? Cheap.
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 10:52 PM

If you are running Fuel Injection that has IAC valves, you need an adjustable one...close the throttle plates on your throttle bodies, and then adjust the PCV for half of the idle air needed, and than just barely crack the throttle plates open to get your hot idle for what the FI ECU wants.

My 2 cents...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: adding PCV - 03/20/19 11:06 PM

I ran two stock type PVC with two breather caps on my old Pump Gas Duster motor that had a small solid roller cam in it, 260 degrees at .050 intake side, 266 on the exhaust side ground on a 108 LSA installed at 1 to 2 degrees ICL installed with a stock type low deck six pack set up. Adding the second PVC made it idle a lot better(more air into the intake) and not surge at or under 1000 RPM up
That combination flat rocked, 10.25 ET at 127.+ MPH corked up with the air cleaner on weighing 3450 Lbs. with driver on Oregon 91 octane pump swill boogie devil
© 2024 Moparts Forums