Moparts

SS SPRING SELECTION

Posted By: A/MP

SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/12/19 01:20 PM

Should the SS spring squat to allow for weight transfer or stiff to force the axle down and to the ground for better tire contact? Better to go with weight rating less than the car for the spring to get that transfer?
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/12/19 02:39 PM

I've always used a weight rating a little more heavier than what my car weighed. Not much these days. LOL
The spring has to stiffen and raise the car's body so the the differential goes the opposite way and plants into the ground, hence the tires bite and go. So in essence, Raise and plant. Good luck with the junk they make these days as far as springs.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/12/19 02:51 PM

The best choice I have ever made on SS springs is to take them off an install CalTracs with their split monoleaf springs.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/12/19 03:10 PM

Be careful going to high on the spring rating. I put a set of 002-003 springs on my 1974 Duster that had been lightened and the car handled like crap going down the track wandering around. I took them to a local spring shop where we took them apart and dearched them some. That helped big time and I ended up going 9.80’s with them 30 years ago. With the track prep today they will and do work but if my budget allowed it I would go a different route.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/12/19 03:36 PM

After decades of searching for a compliant riding suspension that hooks up hard on the street and track, I ended up running a pair of passenger side 3200lbs SS Springs on both my 3700lbs A-Body & E-Body. Both cars transfer weight to the rear very effectively as the slapper bars simultaneously plant the tires harder than anything else I've tried.

I've heard all the stories and heard this set-up should never work on a Mopar, but it does. Even Robert Tarozzi, the guy who developed the SS Spring specs was impressed with how well the car hooked up.

The cars were spring wrapping the front spring segments with these lighter springs, so I modified some Lakewood slapper bars so they would fit properly on my Mopars. The results are nothing more than amazing.

The cars ride, handle and hook up harder than any other suspension set-up I've tried, including the Caltracs with split mono leafs, which were great on a smooth track, but gave WAY to harsh a ride on the open road. I do use high quality shocks on both cars.

Attached picture slapper bar 3.jpeg
Attached picture slapper bar 5.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_0985 (Large).JPG
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/13/19 06:03 AM

Years ago when I knew less than squat, I got the 3800 lb ones for a 1970 Charger. Dear Lord the trunk lid was almost even with my armpit and I am 6'5. TOTALLY worthless. they work ok for a good street stomper but their day has past.
Posted By: 383man

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 10:02 AM

I use 3400 lb springs on my 63 which weighs a bit over 3700 lbs . They have worked fine for me for the 10 plus years they have been on the car. Ron
Posted By: 7074cuda

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 10:44 AM

Have the 002-003 on my 73 Duster which I put in recently with caltrac adjustable shocks set shock at 5 setting and rode like a buck wagon dropped to 1 smoothed out but I have at least 5"
of clearance between tire and fenderwell lip and I don't care for look should of kept old springs on had a nice stance with drag radials on it and hooked good.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 12:48 PM

I used to have the 3400 lb SS springs on my cuda that was 3700 lbs at the time. It hooked good, but the Cal-Tracs were way more consistent.
This was running 11.40s on motor w/ a 1.60 sixty foot and 10.60s on nitrous w/ a 1.50 sixty foot. Left front tire would be a foot in the air and the right front barely touching the ground. The Cal-Tracs evened it out.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 02:57 PM

I use the 3400# SS springs on a 3600# street/strip 12 second '67 Satellite that does a 1.68 60 foot on 255 drag radials.
Posted By: GY3

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
I used to have the 3400 lb SS springs on my cuda that was 3700 lbs at the time. It hooked good, but the Cal-Tracs were way more consistent.
This was running 11.40s on motor w/ a 1.60 sixty foot and 10.60s on nitrous w/ a 1.50 sixty foot. Left front tire would be a foot in the air and the right front barely touching the ground. The Cal-Tracs evened it out.

Exact same experience here with nearly identical times. Cal-tracs are much more repeatable and consistent.

Attached picture Screenshot_20180929-192659.png
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 05:11 PM

Any good drag race leaf spring should NOT squat tsk
You want the springs tp press the rear end and tires into the ground for maximum traction up work
If you decide to go with leaf springs only, they will work fine, contact Greg Luneack at Tri City Competion in San Carllos(I think that is the correct town near San Diego) CA for a custom made set that will hook your car very well scope
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 05:33 PM

I can’t remember the 60 foot times as it was many many years ago but my 1974 Duster ran 9.82 on Super Stock springs but I sure as heck wouldn’t go that direction today if I was starting fresh

Attached picture 2F995B91-0AC2-41C7-9356-9AA1AF095F66.jpeg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/19/19 06:08 PM

They shouldn't squat. The axle should be forced down. The back of the car will rise up at the same time.

Mine are the 3800lb versions, but having not tried any others except these I don't know if it's better to use a lower rating.

Attached picture gtx milan.jpg
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/20/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Any good drag race leaf spring should NOT squat tsk
You want the springs tp press the rear end and tires into the ground for maximum traction up work
If you decide to go with leaf springs only, they will work fine, contact Greg Luneack at Tri City Competion in San Carllos(I think that is the correct town near San Diego) CA for a custom made set that will hook your car very well scope

Tri City Competition is in San Marcos, right near where I live in Vista. I called him once and his springs are pretty expensive compared to regular SS springs, cost is right up there with getting Cal Tracs but I heard they work really well.
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: SS SPRING SELECTION - 03/21/19 08:15 PM

Since we're talking about super stock springs.... Here's a question. How much HP do you guys think they'll handle @ 3300lbs before they say we're done? I'll be pushing 900hp this year and I'm starting to think about it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums