Moparts

caster camber gauge

Posted By: plycuda

caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 03:49 AM

anyone do there own caster camber alignment. what tool or gauge do you use. I have plates for toe. thks Danny
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 04:27 AM

For a start see what the utube vids offer
Posted By: John Brown

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 05:35 AM

ALLSTAR. Lane Automotive, Watervliet MI. They have a full line of circle car and drag race stuff.
Posted By: chargerbr549

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 07:51 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu5xEFdDr7M

This is one of the gauges that I use called Fastrax #91000
Posted By: moparx

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 06:06 PM

i too, own a fastrax tool, as well as a magnetic hub "old school" caster/camber tool i got from speedway motors. both are quality units, and precise.
i restored a set of turn tables for setting toe. these tools sure beat paying $99.00 a clip for alignments, and have paid for themselves many times over.
whatever tool you decide on, you will have to practice a little to get repeatable results, but it is worth it in the long run.
also, make sure you treat these tools good, as well as store them properly while not in use.
beer
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 06:15 PM

I had a app Ialign on my old phone. Worked great gave step by step instructions. Even did all the math for you. I did not have toe plates so used 2 small sheets of sheet metal with grease in between.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 10:52 PM

I also have iAlign on my iPhone, but also 'CamberMeas'.
CamberMeas also comes with an option to either turn the wheels 20°, or to enter your steeringbox ratio, so you just have to rotate the steeringwheel a certain amount, and the app knows how much the wheels should have turned.

I've just received two turning tables, rated for 1000 lbs each from which I hope to make suitable wheelplates off by reinforcing them with some additional metalplating to prevent flex.

Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 11:21 PM

The only one i ever owned and used is the Longacre camber/caster gauge. Very nice unit in my opinion and gives me very repeatable results. Much of the work is setting the car up properly and making sure its as dead level as possible. Then it is easy to use and i got consistent results.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/22/19 11:35 PM

Last time I set alignment and toe I used two sheets of stiff clear plastic under each front wheel, no grease, no alignment plates, worked like a charm. No issues turning the wheels to set camber/caster. About the same thickness you'd tape to the inside of a Harbor Freight bead blaster window (if that helps...) I have alignment plates but it's a pain to get the car on them, and sometimes you need to roll the car backwards then forwards after making a suspension change in order to get the chassis to settle. Unless your floor has recesses for the alignment plates you need some makeshift ramp to get the car back on them. But not with the plastic sheets...works only on a smooth surface though...I imagine two sheets of sheet metal with a little grease between them would work as well...
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/23/19 12:29 AM

Tried that the greased plates a couple of times. But the motion/setting up was still a bit jerky using the steeringwheel and hard to get to an exact number of degrees turning of the wheels from side to side.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: caster camber gauge - 02/23/19 01:59 AM

Got the FasTrak caster/camber gauge that works pretty well.
Picked up some turning plates off E-Bay.
Set them up on the 4-post lift with 2"x10" boards under the back tires to keep the car level when the front is on the turning plates.
© 2024 Moparts Forums