Moparts

New KB Blocks are moving

Posted By: The Shadow

New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 08:05 PM

I was visiting fho today and the new blocks are starting to flow,
so I took a few pictures of the new product.
A keen eye will notice some of the differences in the oiling but there is much more. Added material in critical areas.
I was impressed with some of the finer details like using orb sealing instead of npt in most areas.
Even the small details of all the holes chamfered is a nice touch.
What a jewel

Posted By: Wookie316

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 08:14 PM

I had a few email exchanges with Tim and it sounds like the back log of Hemis is so long that it could be awhile before the wedge block flow will still be off in the distance. Now I may be wrong about this, but that was the impression I got from the few emails we exchanged.
It is a great looking piece though.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 09:12 PM

They look great!. Couple questions.

1.Stock mounts bolt up? (Looks like it)

2.external oiling only?

3.Streetable?

The reason I ask is because, as most know, iron is unobtainium right now.😔😔
Posted By: Sammy

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 09:15 PM

How long is the wait now?
Maybe it's time to switch to Hemi Power.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By Hot 340

2.external oiling only?

3.Streetable?

Stock mounts
internal oil. lots of options for external
Completely streetable
I believe Tim is expecting 20 blocks in around a month.
It sounds like they're trying to keep them at a month maximum when ordered
Posted By: AndyF

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 10:20 PM

Last thread on the subject Darren said no internal oiling, external only.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Last thread on the subject Darren said no internal oiling, external only.

I could be wrong. Wouldnt be the first time. I didnt get a picture of the area of course.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 11:16 PM

How many blocks did Tim get into his shop. I know of three friends that race NSS ordered blocks about a year ago, one ordered quite a few blocks and all three should be high on the list or these blocks at Tims could be their blocks. These blocks would of been machined in Ontario, Canada and the US sale blocks are being machined in Michigan.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/08/19 11:57 PM

Not the race blocks that he has.
Street atm
Posted By: dthemi

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 04:15 PM

Nice! Glad to see them getting around. We need a supply that we can depend on, and not be filled with dread trying to order one lol.

That looks to be unfinished. No rod clearance in the bores, lifter bores, for what I can see, look unfinished, or at least un bushed.

Would you mind, if ya get a chance taking a shot from the lifter valley pointing towards the dist drive?

I love all the material supporting the cam, and what they've added to the oiling path.

When KB is set to produce at max capacity, Indy, and world may have some real deals on DISCONTINUED inventory LOL.

WOOoooooHHOOOOoooo
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 05:58 PM

put an INDY block mains up, next to that and I'll take the INDY every time. I know I'm gonna get beat for this but honestly look at it. Look at the whole package, well shruggy. The only reason I even chimed in was because of some of the other comments. I'm glad there back up Hope they sell like hot cakes.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 06:26 PM

Not that I’m in the market....... it’s more of a curiosity thing for me......... but......

If someone ordered one today........ as the most basic of versions, with a minimum of options that would delay delivery......... what’s the current lead time for delivery?

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By B1MAXX
put an INDY block mains up, next to that and I'll take the INDY every time. I know I'm gonna get beat for this but honestly look at it. Look at the whole package, well shruggy. The only reason I even chimed in was because of some of the other comments. I'm glad there back up Hope they sell like hot cakes.

Wow , are you trolling?
KB has 4340 billet main caps, 9/16 main studs and double 1/2 cross bolts and you prefer an indy block with 1/2 mains and cross bolt.
To each his own
The lifter valley now has a partial bulk head to support and keep the lifters submerged up by the distributor.
I will get pictures later this week
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
Not that I’m in the market....... it’s more of a curiosity thing for me......... but......

If someone ordered one today........ as the most basic of versions, with a minimum of options that would delay delivery......... what’s the current lead time for delivery?

They don't have one yet from what I could see. I don't even have a firm date when to expect one ordered months ago. There are not going to be any options really either from what I understand, but maybe Im wrong. Also do answer DT's question on the lifter bores they in that block, they do not come bushed.

BTW nice to see one of the people involved has at least one block. Maybe those of us waiting will soon see ours..

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 06:56 PM

This is a street block so I believe they dont bush the lifters
The race blocks are a whole different game.
Tim was telling me they were doing more machining in lifter area by the deck so they wouldnt have issues getting lifters in the bushed bores

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 07:33 PM

Hope you are correct as I seem to recall being told no bushings but hey Im happy if they are there. I thought there was just one block, the race block and then the "machine to your specs" version. But again maybe Im wrong
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By The Shadow

Wow , are you trolling?
KB has 4340 billet main caps, 9/16 main studs and double 1/2 cross bolts and you prefer an indy block with 1/2 mains and cross bolt.
To each his own
The lifter valley now has a partial bulk head to support and keep the lifters submerged up by the distributor.
I will get pictures later this week

nope..sorry I just felt there was a lingering in the air that the others were obsolete. Maybe I jumped the gun.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 07:44 PM

It’s hard to believe that something that used to be so simple is so hard now. When I ordered my Keith Black block back in 2008-2009 I filled out a spec sheet and mailed it in. A few weeks later they called and we discussed my build and I sent them 1/2 down. 6-8 months later at the most my block was done, I made final payment, and they shipped it to me. I knew I wanted it so I planned according and ordered it late summer. I am super glad to see them coming back available again but cheese and rice it’s been a rough road for a product that was great years ago.
Posted By: Keith Black®

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 11:29 PM

I will provide an update later today. Here's some pictures. We have started full production.

Attached picture Moparts2.jpg
Attached picture Moparts4.jpg
Attached picture Engine Block Rear (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block Top (MED).jpg

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 11:33 PM

For the record, our main bearing design is the strongest in the market. The encasement pressure and clamping load is a large multiple of our closest competitors block. Our blocks have zero fastener deflection at 4,500 lb-ft or torque and associated cylinder pressures @ 6000hp.

Attached picture Main Brg Cap Straight (MED).jpg
Attached picture Moparts3.jpg
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/09/19 11:47 PM

Nice looking piece.

Can it be ordered sans lifter bores if someone wanted to do a SS style lobe relocation deal and put everything where it needs to be in an effort to improve pushrod angularity???

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/10/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

Tim says a month.
AFIK there are 3 versions
street
race
custom....nothing on the top end finished
Darren is here so he could tell more if he has a chance
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/10/19 01:59 AM

Thanks for posting Darren.SWEEEEEEEEET!!!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/10/19 03:06 AM

LMK when you have a Hemi one in stock....
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/10/19 04:51 AM

When the time comes, Im in Dazza wink
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/10/19 08:11 PM

Some of you guys still kill me. A group of guys take over a failing business and you expect them to correct years of problems over night. I wish I had the means to need one of these blocks and the rest of parts to go with it.

Give them a break, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/10/19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By Dodgeguy101
Some of you guys still kill me. A group of guys take over a failing business and you expect them to correct years of problems over night. I wish I had the means to need one of these blocks and the rest of parts to go with it.

Give them a break, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Not only took it over completely because of the management but really had to revamp the complete company. Then revamp the block with a lot of up grades and click on Darrens other posts to see those. They put in a lot of time and a ton of money into the new KB blocks. Who on here would do that. Yes we will just have to wait a little longer for a block and to get things right. The last time I talked to Tim Banning about what his objective was to get things right all ducks in a row and be able to give time lines from when you order a block till the time you will receive a block. Most of these guys are a one man operation or have a few employees. Many like Tim Banning and Ray Barton started all this as kind of a hobby and it has grown into something else much bigger. I remember when Ray worked out of the backend of the Knob Hill Speed and Custom on Eglinton ave, in Toronto back in the 70s. Sure glad these guys have had an interest to growing the Hemi Hobby in the last 30 years or we would be running the worn out iron 1963 Tech. Chrysler started with a few 65 aluminum heads tossed in.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By dthemi
Nice! Glad to see them getting around. We need a supply that we can depend on, and not be filled with dread trying to order one lol.

That looks to be unfinished. No rod clearance in the bores, lifter bores, for what I can see, look unfinished, or at least un bushed.

Would you mind, if ya get a chance taking a shot from the lifter valley pointing towards the dist drive?

I love all the material supporting the cam, and what they've added to the oiling path.

When KB is set to produce at max capacity, Indy, and world may have some real deals on DISCONTINUED inventory LOL.

WOOoooooHHOOOOoooo

here you go...

Attached picture Lifter_front_china_wall_resized.jpg

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By Hot 340

2.external oiling only?

3.Streetable?

1. Yep stock mounts (the LH drivers side mount upper bolt is lowered slightly);
2. external pickup only. all internal oiling to mains, cam, lifters and valvetrain is now dramatically improved.
3. 100%.

any more questions fire head. DB

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 08:41 AM

We are running production in batches by part number.
The side effect of this means that as we move through the various P/N's we will have overflow blocks available to sell before we cycle into the next part number (i.e. our lot sizes are fixed).
The first batches are Street HEMI's.
Posted By: racerx

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 12:15 PM

Any ideal when the wedges will start production? work

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By racerx
Any ideal when the wedges will start production? work

very,very soon. Immediately on the back of these blocks.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 02:03 PM

Thank you Darren, for bring back the Hemi
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 02:15 PM

Darren - Great job on an awesome looking product!
Do you have your website up with available P/N's and prices?

I think you just put Mopar back in the game my friend.
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 03:54 PM

Darren I presume we are still in a holding pattern for the low deck wedges?

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 04:38 PM

I'm completely stoked they're going to be available. Being offered in the 3 mentioned configs, is just icing on the cake.

As for bushings, who cares, as long as the holes are in the right place lol. I'm sure it can be an option in the custom side. I am interested in how large, and how far a part tappets can be.

The other aluminum block manufacturers will either be faced with price reductions, or loss of sales. I believe that will be the case, as it should be.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By DarrenB

WOOoooooHHOOOOoooo

here you go...

Thank you!!! Truly a thing of beauty. Now I know how a woman feels when she's looking at diamonds lol.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 05:32 PM

Never thought I would see this in my lifetime eek Just wish I could be a player.............
Posted By: powertrip

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 05:51 PM

I have a question regarding the cooling. The coolant port on the deck to the water pump is clearly smaller than stock and restricting flow to the suction side of the water pump- is there a reason this could not be made larger? This is not where you want a flow restriction.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 05:58 PM

Darren B you have an e-mail. Thanks!

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 06:24 PM

Im anxious to see mine when it arrives to compare it to the others I have. I am hoping they can be available on much shorter leads times in the future and that sounds like it will become a reality.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 06:59 PM

The instant availability thing is such a huge part of sales. I know there are guys who plan every single thing they do, but I am certainly not one of them. Neither are most of my track buddies. Impulse projects, and buying, account for a large percentage of my purchases in racing. I don't think I'm alone in this, even outside my own biosphere.

I can think of at least 4 times in recent memory that I'd have jumped on some build tangent had blocks been available. The process was like, oh man, look at that. That would be a cool combo, what do the parts cost? OK, cool, doing mechanical math, getting the fire going. Then,,,,oh yeah,,,no blocks,,,what can I re cobble out of my existing junk.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By ChrgrCuda
Darren - Great job on an awesome looking product!
Do you have your website up with available P/N's and prices?

I think you just put Mopar back in the game my friend.

thanks for the kind words.
MSRP for all blocks is $7495 (plus taxes & shipping)(all blocks are sold through our Dealers).
I am setting the price for the Pro blocks at the moment, so I will advise very soon when we have a landing number on costs.

Our website (which has perpetually been "under development" Lol.), has been waiting on photography of the new blocks, so expect to see this during February albeit it may be a little limited in content at first the essentials will be there.

Attached is a PDF of current P/N's & specifications.

cheers, DB

Attached File
Posted By: Sammy

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/11/19 11:32 PM

I thought the blocks were $6995.00?
Did they go up?

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports

I am getting a costing together for low deck HEMI and WEDGE engine options now that we have a viable machining option. I will let everyone know when and what volume we need to make this work.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 03:01 AM

A low deck wedge seems fairly easy to accomplish, especially if you use the RB main bore. That saves you from having to design new main caps. There aren't a lot of low deck intake manifolds but perhaps if a block was available someone would step up with some killer intakes. If you stick with the RB main size then you avoid the low deck main bearing issue and you consolidate demand for RB crankshafts. Seems like a winner to me.

A low deck Hemi could be complicated by the pushrod angles. Might want to mock that one up and see if everything clears everywhere before you get too far into it. It seems like the pushrods already get into the cylinder bores at the RB deck height. If you lower the deck then the pushrods are going to lean over even more.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
A low deck wedge seems fairly easy to accomplish, especially if you use the RB main bore. That saves you from having to design new main caps. There aren't a lot of low deck intake manifolds but perhaps if a block was available someone would step up with some killer intakes. If you stick with the RB main size then you avoid the low deck main bearing issue and you consolidate demand for RB crankshafts. Seems like a winner to me.

A low deck Hemi could be complicated by the pushrod angles. Might want to mock that one up and see if everything clears everywhere before you get too far into it. It seems like the pushrods already get into the cylinder bores at the RB deck height. If you lower the deck then the pushrods are going to lean over even more.

Andy we can model-up the pushrod angles no sweat. the greater challenge is water jacket cores which have to be created from scratch, already the trickiest section on HEMI blocks.
Getting all the investment costs together on this now.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 08:05 AM

... some more pics

Attached picture Engine Block Front Inverted (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block RHF Bank (MED).jpg
Attached picture No5 Main Bearing Cap Installed (MED).jpg

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By powertrip
I have a question regarding the cooling. The coolant port on the deck to the water pump is clearly smaller than stock and restricting flow to the suction side of the water pump- is there a reason this could not be made larger? This is not where you want a flow restriction.

powertrip There are no issues with this. Best (worst?) kept secret in engine design world is that the thermal transfer properties of A356 is a large multiple of cast iron.
You can run blocks with skinny water jackets and still cool better.
Most of the cooling is in the cylinder head and top of the bore.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 01:54 PM

I've never been a player in these new blocks, but that is a work of art. It seems to me that the price is going to be a bit cheaper than the original projections, too. Starting to make me rethink about getting a new block vs. overhauling my busted up old Indy block. What other processes will need to be done before assembly besides final piston sizing, honing and cleaning? Will cam bores and location go under "Custom" or can they be done to a regular block when ordered?

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
I've never been a player in these new blocks, but that is a work of art. It seems to me that the price is going to be a bit cheaper than the original projections, too. Starting to make me rethink about getting a new block vs. overhauling my busted up old Indy block. What other processes will need to be done before assembly besides final piston sizing, honing and cleaning? Will cam bores and location go under "Custom" or can they be done to a regular block when ordered?

sgcuda:
Street blocks come with STD cam & lifters finish machined (including hydraulic oiling).
Race blocks come with +0.250 in raised cam and lifters finish machined. if it's a Race Hemi the cam will be 60mm roller with 2.000 in lifter spacing @ 48 degrees, if it's a Race Wedge the cam will be 55mm roller with 1.800 lifter spacing @ 45 degrees.
All lifters machined for .905 lifters.
See attached spec sheet for details.

Pro blocks allow for custom lifter size, location, angle, and custom cam size.

cheers DB

Attached File

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 05:47 PM

Love the depressurization reliefs at the rear main. Helps running a seal backwards if the oil off the main has somewhere to go other than out the seal lol.

Just a thought. Since the best head available for a mope right now is a predator, maybe consider a 45 degree lifter option for raised cam hemi blocks. The predator is available for a wedge, but is severely limited in capability, due to the valley bolt access cap needed in the top of the intake runner. The bank angle option on the hemi block is the only thing a guy would need to go straight to a pred without incurring additional custom costs.

I built (I think) the first +.5 deck pred. The tall deck let me run a near 7.5 rod, the entire skirt is in the bore, even at 5.125 stroke. Just huge increase in stability, and rod angle with the tall deck. There is room to go to 5.25 stroke if you keep the cam dia down to 54 MM. The lifter bores in mine are 45 with raised cam. I've done raised cam preds with 48 degree lifters, and it's just ugly.

The best heads we have on a big inch motor are all done around 7500rpm as you know, so cam dia beyond 54 really doesn't help IMO. A 2.5 bore tunnel allows for a 54 MM roller bearing (narrow enough for 2" spacing too.), or a 60 bab.

Disclaimer, LOL, As a Mope guy I sincerely appreciate the efforts, and financial risks you guys have borne during this offering. I would still be ecstatic over even a bone stock config aluminum hemi block. THANK YOU GUYS.

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 05:55 PM

Also adding, since I know NA is becoming a thing of the past.

I understand current trends now are almost entirely bent towards forced induction, negating any real need for large stroke combos. A 9500 RPM 528 on 40 PSI would for sure appreciate some cam dia.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 07:03 PM

I see there's material there to mount a stock mechanical fuel pump. shruggy
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 07:56 PM

Nice to see them available. To bad I am not a player for one of these blocks anytime soon. I just keep repairing old beat up KB blocks when I find them.
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/12/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By DarrenB
Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports

I am getting a costing together for low deck HEMI and WEDGE engine options now that we have a viable machining option. I will let everyone know when and what volume we need to make this work.

This is great news

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/13/19 03:39 AM

Love the depressurization reliefs at the rear main. Helps running a seal backwards if the oil off the main has somewhere to go other than out the seal lol.

Just a thought. Since the best head available for a mope right now is a predator, maybe consider a 45 degree lifter option for raised cam hemi blocks. The predator is available for a wedge, but is severely limited in capability, due to the valley bolt access cap needed in the top of the intake runner. The bank angle option on the hemi block is the only thing a guy would need to go straight to a pred without incurring additional custom costs.

I built (I think) the first +.5 deck pred. The tall deck let me run a near 7.5 rod, the entire skirt is in the bore, even at 5.125 stroke. Just huge increase in stability, and rod angle with the tall deck. There is room to go to 5.25 stroke if you keep the cam dia down to 54 MM. The lifter bores in mine are 45 with raised cam. I've done raised cam preds with 48 degree lifters, and it's just ugly.

The best heads we have on a big inch motor are all done around 7500rpm as you know, so cam dia beyond 54 really doesn't help IMO. A 2.5 bore tunnel allows for a 54 MM roller bearing (narrow enough for 2" spacing too.), or a 60 bab.

Disclaimer, LOL, As a Mope guy I sincerely appreciate the efforts, and financial risks you guys have borne during this offering. I would still be ecstatic over even a bone stock config aluminum hemi block. THANK YOU GUYS.

thanks Darren, the Pro block accommodates all the things you suggest, I suspect you know the shop that will be doing all our Pro Block machining as they have a ton of experience in exactly this. thanks again for your kind words. Cheers DB
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/13/19 04:33 AM

put an INDY block mains up, next to that and I'll take the INDY every time.

nope..sorry I just felt there was a lingering in the air that the others were obsolete. Maybe I jumped the gun.
As I recall from my 2015? KB block, the main studs are 5/8 thread, and 9/16 shank. Very stout, IMO.

Attached picture KB_main_studs1.JPG
Posted By: Twostick

Re: New KB Blocks are moving - 02/13/19 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By 440Jim
put an INDY block mains up, next to that and I'll take the INDY every time.

As I recall from my 2015? KB block, the main studs are 5/8 thread, and 9/16 shank. Very stout, IMO.

Long time no post!

Glad you're back.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums