Moparts

which ali block?

Posted By: rebel

which ali block? - 02/06/19 12:13 AM

It's time to step up my racing program & i'm looking at aluminium blocks. Whats everyones opinion about the World ali block compared to the Indy ali block? I'm down under so its not like i can go look at each & make my decission. I'm already running a ICH block but its a low deck, i'm stepping up to a RB this time.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 02:09 AM

KB
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By rickseeman
KB
iagree
I have one on order that is hopefully going to be delivered in March luck
I'm not a big fan of using aluminum blocks for N/A applications but when you have no other choice for new race blocks then you buy the best one you can get up scope twocents

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 03:49 AM

KB

i didn't include KB because I want to buy & receive it in my lifetime. A racing buddy told me it took 14 months from the time he paid, till the time he received his Hemi block. a lot of anguish in 14 months & advised to buy something else.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 04:00 AM

Speak with Todd here http://www.mopartsracing.com/ as he is a vendor for Indy and KB and can supply everything you need right down to the gaskets!
Todd also is a builder so he is knowledgeable up

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 04:03 AM

I'm hearing better things about KB blocks now that the new owners are in complete control of that operation work shruggy
Time will tell, the proof will be in the results from now on wrench
Posted By: racerx

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
KB
iagree
I'm not a big fan of using aluminum blocks for N/A applications but when you have no other choice for new race blocks then you buy the best one you can get up scope twocents
x2 up
Posted By: crowbait

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 05:29 AM

Hey Cab do you have any real info on these block? I cant seen to find anything in depth on these KB blocks. Lots of chat on em a year or so ago now not so much.
Posted By: Wookie316

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 05:52 AM

https://www.billmitchellproducts.com/pro...ugs-088555.html
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 06:06 AM

Phone Fast Machine in Australia and talk to Darren Beale. + 61 400 033 716 email address darrenb@fastmachineinc.com
Posted By: cudatom

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
KB
iagree

Same here Cab. I ordered mine 9/30/18. Todd talked to me at the end of December to confirm what bore I wanted as the blocks were getting ready for final machine work. If I have it in March that would be awesome. Its given me time to gather up lots of other stuff. Todd has been great to work with. Give him a call.

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By rebel
KB

i didn't include KB because I want to buy & receive it in my lifetime. A racing buddy told me it took 14 months from the time he paid, till the time he received his Hemi block. a lot of anguish in 14 months & advised to buy something else.

I feel there is a good chance that you will get it in your lifetime. (Altho I'm not an actuary.) Given your choices (KB, Indy, Bill Mitchell) it seems to me there's only one good choice. I've never owned/built/raced a Bill Mitchell but I've never heard anything good about them. (And I have heard horror stories.) If you buy an Indy block you are going to wish you were dead. And then there's KB. I would expect it to be everything you ever dreamed of. Any aluminum block is love at first sight (till you find out what a dog it is) but a KB block is everlasting love. Call Ray Barton or Todd and find out how long delivery on a new one is. They are far enough along now they can probably give you a fairly accurate delivery date. Don't make a poor choice.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 08:03 PM

Id guess if you order a KB now your wait time will be far less than mine has been to date. They are making them now and I suspect, or at least hope they have made more than what is already sold. They are a tad more pricey now too at I believe $7495..

As for the World blocks. I currently have my third one in my Stratus. Because it was actually available and my past two worked well for me. my current one is making plenty of power and no signs of any issues. I did have some issues with machining processes they used but that's all fixed, albeit a pain.

As for Indy had two, there is a reason I am waiting for a KB. But I will tell you this will likely be the LAST time I do this. It just is not worth the wait or cost to in the end have something that is inferior to other stuff out there for making power.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 08:25 PM

Let me figure out the photo posting here and I will post side by side by side photos of all three blocks. They might be the only ones that exist of all three in a line for people to compare all three. I have used many Indy and a few World and KBs here in actual builds. Always pros and cons to ALL of them.
Todd

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 08:44 PM

Call me and I'll tell you how to post a photo. Rick 501-897-1110
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: which ali block? - 02/06/19 09:08 PM

Teaser 'till some good pictures come.

Attached picture Carlisle July 2017 150.jpg

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 12:47 AM

Here are some side by side pics as requested. I have a whole file I can email to folks upon request.
Todd

Attached picture 3 block 2 (640x259).jpg
Attached picture 3 block comparison (640x285).jpg

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 12:52 AM

A few more pictures

Attached picture 20170808_163005 (640x360).jpg
Attached picture IMG_1701 (480x640).jpg
Attached picture IMG_1702 (640x480).jpg
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 03:04 AM

I'm liking the water block!

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 05:16 AM

Isn't the KB block the one on the left looking at it from the screen?
Which one is the World block?
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 05:47 AM

I'm going to say, World middle, KB right, Indy left. I've had good luck with the KB and World. Never had an Indy.

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 07:30 AM

ok, i'm referring to the blocks here, & i know there's going to be some haters, but the Indy looks like it has the best bottom end. Just out of curiousity Todd, whats the order from cheapest to expensive?
Posted By: cudatom

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 08:57 AM

ok, i'm referring to the blocks here, & i know there's going to be some haters, but the Indy looks like it has the best bottom end. Just out of curiousity Todd, whats the order from cheapest to expensive?

If I'm not mistaken the image showing the bottom end the KB is on the left, the top from the trans side I believe its on the right. At least based on images that Todd sent me. When I ordered my KB an Indy block was $1300 less but needed more finish machine wk.
Posted By: BradH

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 02:43 PM

Looking at the blocks from the front: KB left, World center, Indy right.

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 04:43 PM

The Indy bottom end with those main caps does look the beefiest but they ran KB's in Top Fuel for decades so I think it will be strong enough.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 05:19 PM

Look at frost plugs and frost plug location that will tell you what block is whos. The lifter valley support rail also tells you what block is whos. Cross bolts also tells you about the blocks. I could be wrong but the KB block looks like a newer version of the block but not the present block being cast. The new KB being cast now has a new manufacturer of their billet caps.

Re: which ali block? - 02/07/19 06:51 PM

Looking at the front pictures it is KB on the left, World center and Indy Right. I have only built a couple World blocks and do not sell them so you will have to call Bill Mitchell for pricing and availability. To be fair the World and and the Indy are wedge blocks and the KB is a hemi. I have things about all of them I like and a few I do not. The KBs are 7495 and come much closer to finished. The Indy is 5500 BUT you have more finish work to do or you can order it with the work done. BE CAREFUL ordering the Indy as some of the machine shop operations are NOT STANDARD and require additional machine work that your local shops may not be able to perform. Example Hyd oiling. Indy will do this if you order (and pay) for it but you have to know what you want at the time of ordering. This is just one example.
The Kbs are beautiful pieces. IMO they are the gold standard. However they have had their share of warts and issues along the way. I will not rehash all of that drama but under the new ownership they have made tremendous strides toward making things the way they should. Not quite there yet but closing in on that with almost daily progress. I believe that the day when we can call and get a block in mere days not months and years is soon upon us.
The KB pictured is one of the last of the Ken Black era. The new blocks are being made with several improvements and new features. They will have a part number where you can combine popular options. This allows them to be built ahead of time so as to allow for faster delivery. Custom options are available and a PRO block is as well for the pro shops to customize them further depending on their final usage.
The Indy has several options that the KB does not. Lowdeck option and Solid block (no water) among them. KB may make these at some point in the future but time will tell. They have in the past. Lead times on the Indy are about 4 to 6 weeks normally but during high demand they may take a bit longer. The KBs are in the 4 month range but should be getting better in the near future.
I have built a lot of Indy block engines and a few KB and World blocks. I liked the KB going together and the way they have performed to date. The couple we have gotten and sold so far have all been up to snuff. Some of the Indy blocks have had some issues BUT those were mostly their early blocks and those issues were largely resolved. Same with the Worlds. I have had one of each that almost went off the back dock but we were able to get them going after a lot of drama. I could say the same about almost any part we use.
I have a complete photo file of all three if anyone wants them just send me an EMAIL at moparts@ptmc.net and I will send them over.
Todd
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: which ali block? - 02/13/19 05:12 AM

Todd,
I am trying to buy a chassis now. If it does not have a motor, I will be ready to buy a new KB aluminum block. I loved my previous (2015?) one, byt sold the car turn-key before I moved to Greeensboro, NC.

I will stay in touch.
Jim
Posted By: Keith Black®

Re: which ali block? - 02/13/19 12:12 PM

Just in anyone on this post isn't reading the adjacent post.. here's some pics:

Attached picture Engine Block Bottom (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block Front (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block Front Inverted (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block LH (MED).jpg

Re: which ali block? - 02/13/19 12:14 PM

Attached picture Engine Block LHF Bank (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block Rear (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block RHF Bank (MED).jpg
Attached picture Engine Block Top (MED).jpg

Re: which ali block? - 02/13/19 12:18 PM

Part numbers and specifications also attached if you're interested.

Attached picture Main Brg Cap Angle (MED).jpg
Attached picture Main Caps Installed (MED).jpg
Attached picture No5 Main Bearing Cap Installed (MED).jpg
Attached File
Posted By: dogdays

Re: which ali block? - 02/13/19 09:34 PM

So to the KIWI OP I'd say get on the phone to DarrenB as IIRC he's one of the partnership that are making the KB blocks. Also, OP, the reason there was so much smoke about KB a couple of years ago is that no one was getting their orders filled and many folks had thousands on the line, or missed racing seasons because of no block.

Looking at that block it has a lot more beef in the top end including the extended deck and monster webs between cylinder banks. At what power level does that extra stiffness become important?

R.

Re: which ali block? - 02/15/19 08:30 AM

Hey Dogdays, im just a bracket racer so going for world records is not in my schedule. Im currently running an Indymaxx lowdeck but ive been beating on that for close to 15 years now, im at the point im thinking a fresh block needs to co.e into my race program. The new KB block looks like every boys wet dream but i dont think i need a block that can handle the power levels that block was designed for. At the end of this current season i think I'll contact Todd for an Indy block. I can do some of the mods reqd, i only need the deck parallel to the crank centerline which i hope Todd can confirm before he posts it down under. This post was definately an eye opener & very informative to whats out there. To all those who contributed, thanks for you input.
© 2024 Moparts Forums