Moparts

Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods

Posted By: 70charger512

Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 04:23 PM

Hi, I've read just about every forum site possible, and so far never heard anything bad about Molnar. I just want to see if there is finally a person who has had an issue with them, or if his stuff is just that good. Because of the great reviews I will most likely get their 4.25 crank, but I want to make sure they really are that good. Also, same thing with Diamond pistons, since Todd Marsh sells them and is close to me.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 04:34 PM

Heard nothing but good, bought his rods (but not run the engine yet).
Please: remarks about how pretty (or not) anyone's parts are means nothing. China puts a really bright polish on parts made from melted locomotives.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 04:40 PM

Good stuff. I wouldn't question anything Todd Marsh tells you...he's a great guy to deal with.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 04:48 PM

Tom Molnar's products are very high quality. I have his crank and rods in my Arrow with JE pistons. Tom is a fan of CP which I would have used except for timing on my part. Mike Janis at JanCen built my motor and he said the quality was spot on. That and Tom has a three legged dog and is a dog person as well as his wife Susan......that goes a long way with me personally.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 05:13 PM

If someone had a problem with Tom Molnar's parts, I would question the customer before I would question Mr. Molnar. I have bought a couple of sets of rods from him and he really seems to be a knowledgeable stand up guy.

The industry could use more like him, not that there are not.
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 05:33 PM

Called Tom Molnar before buying the Crank and Rods for our new Hemi Stroker. He spent over half hour explaining how he is day to day personally involved in quality control. Everything measured almost perfect and needed no work to assemble. Car runs just as we thought it should. He has my vote.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 06:35 PM

Tom is a great guy and easy to deal with and easy to contact. The ONLY issue we had was a misboxed crank. They sent a BBC crank in a BB Mopar box. He rectified it IMMEDIATELY.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 08:04 PM

I've had two problems on his custom made to hi specs. ARP rod bolts, not all of them will need the same torque to get the same length whiney
the first one was when he was at Oliver, the second one was with his now house brand two years ago.
He prefers yo use the torque plus so many degrees method but I prefer to stretch them to the middle of the length specs. IE .0059 to .0064 spec. I shoot for .0061 to .0062. T
The last bad bolt I had took less than 55 Ft. Lbs. to stretch it way pass the max length, all the rest needed 70+ Lbs. to get them into the middle of specs whiney shruggy
I bought a used set of Crower billet rods and they have a custom bolt also, Crower recommended 75 Ft. Lbs. with ARP lube so that is what I used up These rods are going into one of my own pump gas street motors to go mess with the local street racers devil
Maybe not being anal has it benefits work grin
Posted By: dvw

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 01/31/19 10:21 PM

Tom is great. Always will give you good tech info. The bolts he uses are proprietary ARP 2000. The machining on both my rods and cranks were very good. One rod journal was .0002" larger, all others dead on .0000", straight no taper. Rod machining and balance were excellent. Crank balanced without heavy metal with my set up; 4.500"/2.200"crank, 7.100"/2.200/.990" rods, Diamond 4.505" flat top pistons. 200 passes on rods, 85 on the crank w/o issue.
Doug
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 02/01/19 01:19 AM

Always heard good stuff about Molnar. Does he do any custom crank strokes, or only what is listed on the web?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 02/01/19 03:21 AM

Another happy Molnar customer here, bought a lo deck 512 kit 4.250 stroke crank and 6.535 H beam rod's, and very happy with the quality, fit and finish. up
Posted By: B1duster

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 02/01/19 04:12 AM

I have 2 sets of rods, small block and big block, great stuff, plan to buy a crank soon.
Tom is very helpful
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 02/01/19 05:13 AM

Same here, his 4.250 crank and 6.535 rods. machining is the best. Every rod and main journal measure exactly the same from one side to the other. Makes it easier to get the clearances you need. I found the same 70plus lbft tq to get the stretch recommended using his lube. I used his recommended 30# plus 60*method when I put it together. My Eagle crank that was in the 408 was so over polished that the journals were smaller in the center of every journal.
Posted By: 70charger512

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 02/01/19 03:52 PM

Ok, thanks everyone, this just reassured me about his stuff. Has anyone had bad experiences with Diamond pistons? Same thing with Molnar, I've never heard anything bad about them.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Anyone ever had bad experiences with Molnar cranks or rods - 02/01/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By Nick Stesvanovski
Ok, thanks everyone, this just reassured me about his stuff. Has anyone had bad experiences with Diamond pistons? Same thing with Molnar, I've never heard anything bad about them.

Take a look at Mahle if you are looking for pistons.
© 2024 Moparts Forums