Moparts

Cylinder scratches

Posted By: Anonymous

Cylinder scratches - 01/27/19 10:19 PM

Well I have my opinion but I want to hear from people that know. Check out these scratches tell me what made them they are in all cylinders but this one caught my eye that alerted me to the rest. There is brown in the scratches, kinda of a mixture of nasty oil condensation and rust but it wipes off. The engine has been sitting awhile. Now, I can't hardly feel them with my fingernail, but I can with my finger.

Attached picture 20190127_134518.jpg
Attached picture 20190127_134725.jpg
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/27/19 10:36 PM

Pull it apart, clean it, dingle berry hone it (lightly) and run it. Measure the clearances and make sure the are correct while you're in there.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/27/19 10:41 PM

Look like old grey forged trw-s or such, id have to guess your .005 isnt enough, more like .008-.009 or better.

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/27/19 11:09 PM

Ya kinda confirms what I was thinking.

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/27/19 11:13 PM

Pretty good eye you are correct on the pistons

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/27/19 11:18 PM

Really think it's necessary to tear down and rehone and regap? It's got a 1000 miles on it,but they are quarter mIle hard miles nothing above 6000. In my mind I probably should but I just wanted to avoid that.I need to hear some nonbiased opinions
Posted By: BradH

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By 69cornetr/t
Really think it's necessary to tear down and rehone and regap? ... In my mind I probably should but I just wanted to avoid that.I need to hear some nonbiased opinions

Non-biased opinion: It's ugly in there and should be torn down and dealt with.

However, that's obviously not the answer you want to hear.
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 12:24 AM

Your oil isn't hot enough before beating on it
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Look like old grey forged trw-s or such, id have to guess your .005 isnt enough, more like .008-.009 or better.

Those skirts are not like the newer TRW and speed Pro forged 440 pistons, they looklike the original forged 426 M.W TRW pistons shruggy
Did you gap the rings and deburr the ring ends? If not you should have tsk If you did then those scratches maybe from junk suck into the cylinders and got stuck between the top of the pistons above the ring lands and cylinder walls scope

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 02:08 AM

To me they look just like the trw replacements from the early 70-s.

OP. what motor is this? What do you know about the pistons.

Attached picture DSC00062.JPG
Attached picture DSC00064.JPG

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 02:58 AM

It's 68 440 I built it in the 80s, used trw pistons,l and used a ring filer and checked the gap inside a fresh bored 030 block. But the did sit a couple years at a time. I used to run it at the track. Damn good motor ran 12s in a challenger. Was just going to swap it to another car thought I'd take peek inside.Ring gap was dead nuts on when I put it together.chrome moly
Posted By: racerhog

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 03:22 AM

I agree..... Freshen it and run the piss out of it...
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 03:45 AM

Damn good motor ran 12s in a challenger.

I've always thought it was pretty amazing how imperfect things can be and still function admitably well for what they are.

Myself I would hand hone or machine shop touch hone and re ring it, but.....If you don't, it will be just as good as it was. I'm more inclined to repair and improve things while they are apart.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 05:49 AM

I would have it honed on a good Sunnen honing machine with a torque plate to remove the scratches and make the cylinder round and seal good up twocents
Once you get the heads off you will be able to see more, sometimes things look a lot worse than they are shruggy work scope
How many runs on the motor and rings?
If more than 30 put new rings in it up
I don't like or use low tension oil rings any more unless the motor has a vacuum pump on it twocents
Please let us know what you find and decide to do thumbs
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 08:43 AM

What weight oil and what is the coolant temp when staging the car?

Take it apart and check clearance.

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 01:50 PM

20 50 @ 180 degrees , but it's a street engine now . I'll take the heads off and get a better look. But most likely i will take it apart and fix it right because it will always bug the [censored] out of me if don't . I'll see what my machinist says first.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 02:43 PM

If the scratches aren't deep with nothing protruding it is what it is. If it gets honed to true it up remove everything chances are the piston to wall could be excessive. What is the purpose of honeing and leave the scratches? Make it pretty?.
Looks like a low buck piece. I'd run it.
Doug

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 02:50 PM

Could always hone it and spend a couple hundred bucks and get the skirts coated.

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 03:03 PM

True Doug you make a good point

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 03:10 PM

I'll take the heads off go from there and throw some trick flows on it and beat on it some more, and have fun, that's what it's all about for me
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/28/19 03:36 PM

To me it looks like just about every old TRW heavy slug - stock rodded engine after a few years of running! - the skirts on those pistons always seem to have had a funky edge on them from the forging process - we used to dress them with a honing stone. If it has good ring seal now run it if not - give it a quick dingle ball hone hone and run it - those pistons are pretty forgiving when it comes to clearence as long as its not too tight.

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/29/19 12:35 AM

This for everyone who wanted to know.
Talked to my machinist, who's also a drag racer take a piston out look at it and ,"if it's not black death don't worry about it" which is the skirt gaulding the cylinder wall leaving black lines on the piston skirt.clean the cylinder wall with WD40
So I'm good to go.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/29/19 01:22 AM

This for everyone who wanted to know.
Talked to my machinist, who's also a drag racer take a piston out look at it and ,"if it's not black death don't worry about it" which is the skirt gaulding the cylinder wall leaving black lines on the piston skirt.clean the cylinder wall with WD40
So I'm good to go.

If they are only black on the back side i.e. the non thrust side that's from running a plug that's too hot. I've seen it many times. Back siding is usually the wrong plug.

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/29/19 01:53 AM

Really? No black,but When you say back side do you mean toward the cam and why would a hot plug cause that? Running lean?
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Cylinder scratches - 01/29/19 06:30 AM

Run it. The scratches are what they are, and were there when you ran it last. That little bit of surface rust will hurt nothing. That'll get wiped off in an instant. Then if there is any tiny pits, they'll just hold oil.

Also those are nothing in terms of scratches from what i see in the pictures.
© 2024 Moparts Forums