Moparts

Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street?

Posted By: gtsuperbee

Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 02:46 AM

I have a fresh pro-shifted hemi box that I was thinking of putting in my car. Do any of you guys have these and drive your cars regularly? Besides having to stop to downshift, any other bad points.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the str - 03/15/09 03:28 AM

They just wear out quicker thats all.When it does get the 3-4 gears face-plated because it lasts longer and shifts faster
Gus
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 03:30 AM

I want to see what responses you get on this subject.
I drive a manual reverse automatic on the street that I have to shift up to 1st every time I come to a stop. This is on a weekend brawler though, not a regular daily driver.

Stick shift cars rule.

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 03:34 AM

When beating it, is it absoulutely necessary to use clutch, or can you just give it a good yank (let the jokes begin )? And about how many rpms do you recommend?
Posted By: topside

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the str - 03/15/09 03:38 AM

Seems to me one could downshift by matching RPMs, no?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the str - 03/15/09 03:38 AM

You have to use the clutch to keep from breaking things.
Gus

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the str - 03/15/09 03:43 AM

Yeah, I used to keep driveshafts in stock. I'm hoping 1350s and a new shaft solve that. I also blew out the passenger side windows in it a couple years ago on a hard 1-2 shift. Never did that before.
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 02:35 PM

Quote:

Besides having to stop to downshift, any other bad points.

Regarding down shifting...Sorry I may be missing the obvious here but my first question is why cant you down shift a proshifted box? And my second question..my neutral is the middle gate, if you cant downshift the tranny can you at least go directly to neutral and coast until you have to completely stop?

Thanks in advance for the help and the good post.
Doug
Posted By: Michael

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 02:48 PM

Drive it like a big truck----learn to double clutch.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the str - 03/15/09 03:23 PM

To understand what's going on with a pro shifted trans you should pull the side cover and look at how much [ i'll call it slop ] there is between the slider and the dogs.Move the slider back and forth from third to forth with your hand, see how easy it slides, now with the slider in forth turn the input shaft back and forth, see how much slop there is? That is why it's a good racing trans and not a street friendly trans. You can not shift a pro shifted 833 under power with out using the clutch . On the street you can play with rpm's to shift but you'll just grind away the slider and dogs faster. Also on the street you'll find that you need to hold the shifter in gear as slop and no syncro rings and tension clips will let it fall out of gear . You can down shift just expect a big clunk from again the slop.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 03:27 PM

I don't know why you would want to.While you are moving through the gears it is OK.Part throttle cruise is what becomes abusive.Lash takes over and just beats the death out of your parts
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 03:30 PM

And my second question..my neutral is the middle gate, if you cant downshift the tranny can you at least go directly to neutral and coast until you have to completely stop?

Thanks in advance for the help and the good post.
Doug

thats how you do it.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Do you guys drive your pro-shifted 4spds on the street? - 03/15/09 05:00 PM

I was looking into doing that as well,pro-shifted street/strip.
After talking with several MUCH more realistic people who have been there,I realized I was assuming too much.
Yes it would be faster,IF you can hookup on the gearchanges,but it is giving up ALOT of streetability.
If you have all the stuff and can try it cost free,what do you have to lose?
Just don`t let yourself become angry at your car ..........
© 2024 Moparts Forums