Moparts

Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine.

Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 12:43 AM

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/the-equal-8-inside-dan-jesels-new-clean-sheet-12000-rpm-v8/
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 01:00 AM

Pretty cool stuff! I'd like to hear it singing on the dyno or in an old modified production car.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 02:56 AM

Will it fit in an early A-Body?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 04:12 AM

And the big secret is... (wait for it):
Ta Da!
Raised the cam into the valley. Just like Arias did 30 years ago.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 04:15 AM

And that's N/A,,,,,,,,,,,,,, eek
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 04:38 AM

Clearly a RIP off of the small block mopar...only 4 head studs per cylinder. Lol
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 06:05 AM

By the way, for an idea of how "not new" the simple expedient of raising the cam to shorten the pushrods, Parilla made a 175cc "shoulder cam" using this principal in a production bike in 1952.
Yes, it's just that simple.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 07:40 AM

Interesting that he designed it for ball/cup pushrods instead of the popularity of ball/ball pushrods. I would think that with that much pressure and stress, rocker adjuster would have cup design. Im sure there is way more to it though.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By Chargerfan68
Interesting that he designed it for ball/cup pushrods instead of the popularity of ball/ball pushrods. I would think that with that much pressure and stress, rocker adjuster would have cup design. Im sure there is way more to it though.

It depends on how accurate the whole system is. There are advantages to the ball/cup system IF you have everything else where it should be, AND you know why you used a ball adjuster and why you set the ball where you did. If there is virtually no pushrod angularity the actual movement of the ball through the lift arc is pretty clean.

It is interesting to say the least. Can wait to see it go across the dyno and then into the car.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 04:58 PM

These high end drag motors are starting to look like F1 engines! You have to admire the complexity and machine work on this - really shows the capability of the aftermarket industry.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 04:58 PM

I saw a video of the Jesel brothers being interviewed at SEMA about this engine.

It does have 5.00 bore centers which would make the engine illegal for many racing classes and series. They had to do this in order to get the cam bearings in the proper location for the straight pushrods.

As you can tell the heads are based on the P5 Mopar head.

If these engines are ever available to the public I can't feature how much they would cost. However if they just choose to make money on the manufacture and eat the development costs they might be an option for some.

However anyway I look at the the "Equal Eight" is one cool engine.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 06:01 PM

Pro-Mods are already up to a 5.30 bore spacing with some of those monster 900" nitrous engines - I am guessing this engine is going to be focused on some of the extreme outlaw classes
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Dan Jesel designs his own 12,000 rpm pushrod engine. - 01/24/19 07:12 PM

Bonneville. It's made for extra cooling to be able to run WFO for 5 miles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums