Moparts

Making your own Fiberglass Parts

Posted By: STEFF

Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 01:51 PM

Any of you ever make your own Fiberglass parts? Looking at doing some Bumpers for my 70 Road Runner. Plan is to make molds from my steel bumpers. What I'm not sure yet is if the mold needs to be two piece. I'm thinking so, to get it off the steel bumper and then to help get the fiberglass part out of the mold. And, haven't quite figured out how to reinforce the mold yet. Any tips, tricks any of you can share?
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 03:05 PM

I can give more details this evening. Short version is it should be pretty simple. As long as the bumpers are in good shape they will make a fine mold. Look carefully to determine that you need a two piece mould. I suspect not. Remember the bumper was stamped with a big ass die so unlikely there is no relief in the shape.
Composite bumpers are on the list for our 70 RR but there are multiple projects on the car (like completely rebuilding the body) ahead of new bumpers.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 03:15 PM

The shape will determine If it needs to be multiple pieces. I'm guessing it will because the ends wrap around. You reinforce the mold while its on the original piece so it retains the correct shape. You reinforce it with just about anything - 2 x 4 lumber works great. Where pieces of the mold have to attach to make a full mold you make your reinforcements so they bolt together and keep the mold aligned. A multiple part mold is made in sections. You can use plasticine to form a "dam" to make the flanges. Make the first large section and pop it off. Clean up the flange and put it back on the bumper and glass on the reinforcements. Make sure the flanges have mold release applied then make the next part of the mold. Before popping it off, drill bolt/reference holes in the flange. Hopefully this short explanation gives you a good idea of the process. Note: you cannot use too much mold release. When you think you've applied enough, give it another coat.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 03:50 PM

and then get lightweight brackets here

https://www.facebook.com/LingenfeltersBrackets/
Posted By: jcc

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 04:32 PM

Understand, approx 70% of your projects effort will be in getting the mold right. If this is a one item project, you can cut a few corners, problem is, best if one has some experience first before deciding which corners to cut. Not sure if a gel coat is needed here, gel coat adds another complication/cost/step, and it mainly only adds to looks in finished project, and gel has a potential for "alligatoring", which defeats its whole purpose.

Some molds can be fudged as a single mold, by making the mold flexible and/or sacrificial/sectional, or in your case when the plug is the bumper or making the finished part in multi lay ups, a thin layup to be easy to remove from the mold, and then another after pulled from the mold to gain needed ,strength. Risky because you need to somehow maintain shape outside the mold for second layup.

It can be done, but its a learning process.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 04:38 PM

I used cardboard wrapping paper tube's cut in 1/2 to make stiffners for the mold
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 04:42 PM

I see Unlimited lists them, and they do a lot of bumpers in carbon you might check with them.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
I see Unlimited lists them, and they do a lot of bumpers in carbon you might check with them.

Shipping from Unlimited is almost as much as the darn Bumpers. I figured if I'm going to spend that kind of dough, I'd rather learn something. I've done fiberglass work, just not made a mold.

Being that Unlimited is the only ones to offer them, maybe I'll make the molds for multiple use.

Thanx for the input!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 05:58 PM

STEF, here is a write up from Jay Brown, a friend of mine, and HEMI Joel's, on how he made a mold for his Shelby bumpers. I did the finish sanding and paint on these, and they turned up very nice.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=3783.0
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 06:47 PM

I'm not sure, but I suspect you are looking to build some higher appearance quality bumpers, so this article may not be what you are looking for. www.midwestattachment.com/hood shows how do fiberglass reproductions by doing a splash over on existing parts. Great for race only,lesser detailed vehicles.Much less expensive, and time consuming as it doesn't require that detailed primary mold. My son and I built a hood (pin on) for our Lancer drag car,with a snorkel scoop. Very pleased with the way it came out.For those of you , like us, with nothing readily available or economicaly feasible, this is a viable option.We have to use the coins where they are best spent or our project wont make it.Hope this helps some of you

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
STEF, here is a write up from Jay Brown, a friend of mine, and HEMI Joel's, on how he made a mold for his Shelby bumpers. I did the finish sanding and paint on these, and they turned up very nice.

Extremely Helpful!! Thanx Jeff!!

On a side note, I read some posts on Speedtalk your Buddy posted when he made Rockers for his motor. Very Cool Car!!

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By STEFF

On a side note, I read some posts on Speedtalk your Buddy posted when he made Rockers for his motor. Very Cool Car!!

He is making his own Cylinder heads, rockers, intakes, valve covers, and a few other things. Very smart guy, and not sure where he gets his ambition.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By lancer493
I'm not sure, but I suspect you are looking to build some higher appearance quality bumpers, so this article may not be what you are looking for. www.midwestattachment.com/hood shows how do fiberglass reproductions by doing a splash over on existing parts. Great for race only,lesser detailed vehicles.Much less expensive, and time consuming as it doesn't require that detailed primary mold. My son and I built a hood (pin on) for our Lancer drag car,with a snorkel scoop. Very pleased with the way it came out.For those of you , like us, with nothing readily available or economicaly feasible, this is a viable option.We have to use the coins where they are best spent or our project wont make it.Hope this helps some of you

I've done the splash process with some bumper brackets years ago and they worked well, but yes for the Bumpers I want a nicer finish. With shipping, the Bumpers from Unlimited, would be $480. Not a deal breaker, but $200 just for shipping blows. So, even if it costs me $480 to make my own, I don't care. I get to learn something, I've not done yet.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:14 PM

work ....

Verrry interesting ! biggrin

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By Doc Fiberglass
work ....

I know you are the master at this. Care to divulge any tips?

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:18 PM

He is making his own Cylinder heads, rockers, intakes, valve covers, and a few other things. Very smart guy, and not sure where he gets his ambition.

That was a SOHC motor, correct?

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:21 PM

200$ for shipping is uNsane ! Someone at unlimited didn’t figure that out correctly. Each bumper should ship as though they were 25 pounds each.!PLUS I’ll bet you could send them by TRUCK FREIGHT (terminal to terminal)!for about that kind of money

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:37 PM

200$ for shipping is uNsane ! Someone at unlimited didn’t figure that out correctly. Each bumper should ship as though they were 25 pounds each.!PLUS I’ll bet you could send them by TRUCK FREIGHT (terminal to terminal)!for about that kind of money

Just talked to Unlimited, apparently UPS and FED Ex, really jacked up their rates for long packages regardless of weight. They said they don't pad their shipping. Is what it is...
Posted By: partsforsale

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 07:46 PM

work ....

My thoughts exactly.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 08:01 PM

Another fiberglass thread, and Doc thinks it's still 1982... He can build it better, cheaper, and ship it for next to nothing, but never does.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 08:02 PM

That was a SOHC motor, correct?

Wedge stuff, but he does make his own SOHC rockers now also.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 08:34 PM

Another fiberglass thread, and Doc thinks it's still 1982... He can build it better, cheaper, and ship it for next to nothing, but never does.

jX ..,, BITE ME ! ...,

and I said NOTHING OF THE SORT. And as far as shipping - show me where I’m wrong.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 08:44 PM

It's ship by volume, more than weight. Big boxes take up room in the trucks, and usually are in the way for most of the ride. That is why the extra charge. weight has nothing to do with it.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By partsforsale
work ....

My thoughts exactly.

BBL ... I’ll touch base on a few tips

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 08:50 PM

It's ship by volume, more than weight. Big boxes take up room in the trucks, and usually are in the way for most of the ride. That is why the extra charge. weight has nothing to do with it.

That’s EXACTLY what I said ( in a roundabout way) that box and bumper ACTUALLY weighs maybe 8 pounds and costs as though it weighs 25 lbs. UPS and fedex maybe have fiddled with those specs a bit but it’s in the ballpark

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/15/19 08:53 PM

Oooops ... TO ADD ... truck freight - you’ve got to know how to get the best rate !

TRUCKERS love TOP FREIGHT!
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 04:20 AM

Good advice so far. Basically, make the surface of the plug as smooth as possible. If need be spray a coat of primer on it and sand it to a fine finish.

Determine if the mould can be one piece or not.
Wax the plug. Then wax it again. Go have rum or two. Come back, wax it again. Roll or spray on some PVA. The beauty of PVA is it is water soluble. If the mould or part is sticking work in some water and it will dissolve the PVA allowing release.

Lay out the plug formerly known as a bumper so it is level in a couple of planes.

If it is a one piece mould, start laying up a couple of layers of mat using polyester resin as it is cheap. The mat will conform to pretty much any shape. You can, if desired, use tooling gelcoat over the plug as a first coat. This gives a nice finished surface to the mould. Otherwise, lay up some more layers of glass. To build up thickness throw in some roving with the roving. Mat and roving are the cheapest glass out there. Remember thickness is your friend to make the mould stiff. If a two piece mould figure out where the seam will be located.

After the mould has cured, tab on a grid to the backside. Plywood laid out in an eggcrate fashion works great. I like to make sure the grid pieces are level as when the mould comes off the plug you can set it up on some saw horses or a work bench and if it lies level you know the bumper is not twisted.
Wax the mould again. Keep waxing. Open next bottle of rum while waiting for wax to cure. Wax again. Spray or roll in some PVA.

Next, decide what fibre you want to use. Glass or Carbon? Carbon is much stiffer. Also much more expensive. Will you want to add core? Core adds lots of stiffness at minimal weight. Coremat is an inexpensive although heavy alternative to foam, balsa or honeycomb. Still lighter than solid glass, it comes in 2-4mm thicknesses. Remember for it to function as a core it must be between the inner and outer skins.

Start laying up material in mould, wetting it out on a table with plastic over it. Squeegee out the excess resin. Ideally use epoxy as it has better properties. Add a few layers. Throw on some peelply. Work the peel ply into the mould using a laminate roller. Snip as required to make it fit at inside corners. Throw some bleeder cloth over the peel ply. Then put a vacuum bag over the whole mess. Run vacuum tube under bag, making sure it is over the bleeder cloth. Turn on vacuum pump. Chase leaks. When leaks hunted down and killed, let vacuum pump run until part cured. Finish rum bottle.

Remove vacuum bag, bleeder cloth and peel ply. Using a wedge, pop part out of mould. Wash PVA off with soap and water. Spray with a coat of primer. Finish to level desired. I work with epoxy so never use gelcoat. Gelcoat is basically pigmented resin, which adds no strength, does add weight, is heavy and eventually cracks. If you do want to use gelcoat and epoxy resin, you must let the gelcoat cure after being sprayed into the mould as it is a polyester product. Then scuff it and apply the epoxy laminate. Epoxy will bond to cured polyester, the other way not so much.

Done right the part will come out of the mould looking like this:

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 05:20 AM

That was a different thread wave
This is the nwer UPgrAdded dOc whistling up

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 05:49 AM

Spot on BTW.

I'm also thinking anybody making a composite bumper, isn't going to be looking for any real stiffness by adding any core material, actually maybe a little flexibility might be a better feature, since the new bumper ain't going to stop anything, and if the bumper flexes some, they may not have to repair it say of the hyd jack handle pops up into it.
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 02:13 PM

Why make what you can buy! building a two piece mold to pull a female off the existing bumper and then another layup for the bumper its self, i don't see it being cost and time effective, unless it required to be a custom part that you cannot purchase.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 04:02 PM

Yep. Complains about everyone else but never steps up to the plate. Same 'ol thing. Not sure why they keep letting Wally back in?! realcrazy

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By RATTRAP
Why make what you can buy! building a two piece mold to pull a female off the existing bumper and then another layup for the bumper its self, i don't see it being cost and time effective, unless it required to be a custom part that you cannot purchase.

After the OP finishes his bumper, he will agree with you. laugh2

And there is a another aspect, taking money out of the pockets of the fiberglass shops, just means they will shy further away from the oddball parts, and its a viscous downward cycle. I don't think they are overcharging, UPS maybe.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

I know STEFF wants other parts for his Road Runner, that are not made, so if he can learn how to make bumpers now, I'm sure a set of front fenders, and deck lid are in the future.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

I know STEFF wants other parts for his Road Runner, that are not made, so if he can learn how to make bumpers now, I'm sure a set of front fenders, and deck lid are in the future.

If that is the case, starting with an unavailable part would make more sense to me.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By GY3

Yep. Complains about everyone else but never steps up to the plate. Same 'ol thing. Not sure why they keep letting Wally back in?! realcrazy

Mark,again the was a thread from yesteryear.I am a pro in my biz,when I see a vid or hear a story of of something I disagree with,like you I AM one to open my big fat mouth.I'm not ayin dOc is right or wrong but we all have an opinion and we do rub people the wrong way....oh well whistling

He WAS the man back in his day,let let that other thread GO!!!

Attached picture 6638500-6Packhood3.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 06:21 PM

I know what I know pretty well, but I also admit I definitely DON'T know what I don't know. I also have nothing to prove. That said:

I haven't attempted any class A surfaces, only structural repairs + "filled in" the underside of my 6 pack scoop to allow me to make an air pan. So this might not apply to class A but maybe it will be useful.

I made my mold out of cardboard covered with regular, clear box sealing/shipping tape. Some digging online revealed some statements that the resin would not stick to the shipping tape, which turned out to be correct.

No way would I suggest you could just cover the bumper with tape and go to town. But, maybe that idea might be enough to get started, make a huge mess, breathe some awful fumes, and could maybe be refined after that.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis
Originally Posted By GY3

Mark,again the was a thread from yesteryear.I am a pro in my biz,when I see a vid or hear a story of of something I disagree with,like you I AM one to open my big fat mouth.I'm not ayin dOc is right or wrong but we all have an opinion and we do rub people the wrong way....oh well whistling

He WAS the man back in his day,let let that other thread GO!!!

WHY are you addressing me when I am agreeing with what someone else said?! No clue about any other thread other than the fact that he repeats the same thing every time he gets on here. People that tear down others business practices and pricing DO rub me the wrong way as I have owned multiple businesses and know the type...
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 07:52 PM

All good info here. Keep it coming as I am still trying to get out there to finish up my Super Shaker project for my Challenger. Injuring my knee this summer & having reconstructive knee surgery several weeks ago is making it difficult to get out in the garage to finish. Sure is taking a lot longer to heal than I was expecting. This getting old stuff sucks.

Attached picture rsz_20180501_181237_002.jpg
Attached picture rsz_20180501_194001_002.jpg
Attached picture rsz_20180504_205810.jpg
Attached picture rsz_20180504_210549.jpg
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE
This getting old stuff sucks.

Getting old does suck. but it beats the alternative! grin

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 11:05 PM

I love learning how to do things for myself. Still may buy them from Unlimited,

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/16/19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

And there is a another aspect, taking money out of the pockets of the fiberglass shops, just means they will shy further away from the oddball parts, and its a viscous downward cycle. I don't think they are overcharging, UPS maybe.

My learning to do something and be self sufficient is not going to effect their day to day.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/17/19 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By jcc

My learning to do something and be self sufficient is not going to effect their day to day.

HEY!! You could pump out bumpers with all your spare time....... wink

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/18/19 01:43 AM

STEFFster ... AT FIRST - jsta clarify that shipping situation - what is the width, length and depth specs on that bumper ?

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/18/19 06:36 AM

dOc,could clarify what you said about shipping??

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/18/19 01:40 PM

STEFFster ... AT FIRST - jsta clarify that shipping situation - what is the width, length and depth specs on that bumper ?

Don't sweat it Doc. I ordered the Bumpers from Unlimited last night....$279.90 for the 2 Bumpers, $179.26 for UPS shipping from CA to SC.

Thanx Everyone for all the input!! I'll experiment with mold making somewhere down the road.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/18/19 02:16 PM

That is still pocket change, when you consider the weight loss per dollar. Add in some Lingenfelter brackets, and you are all set.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/18/19 07:48 PM

I got lucky with a local friend made from scraps...........

Attached picture 6.10.17 012.jpg
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/19/19 01:11 AM

Steff if you are looking for a science project maybe look into plastic/fiberglass chrome plating.
The prices I have seen make my head hurt.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/19/19 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
Steff if you are looking for a science project maybe look into plastic/fiberglass chrome plating.
The prices I have seen make my head hurt.

I was thinking about seeing If they can be wrapped in a "chrome" vinyl.

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/19/19 03:25 AM

That is still pocket change, when you consider the weight loss per dollar. Add in some Lingenfelter brackets, and you are all set.

No doubt Jeff! And I've just ditched the steel decklid, hinges and springs for a lift off fiberglass decklid with dzus fasteners. 35 lbs difference! I'm figuring at least another 50lbs off with the bumpers.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/19/19 06:03 AM

You can make bumper brackets from 16 g steel. Won't be worth anything in an accident but they are lighter than an aluminum knock off.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Making your own Fiberglass Parts - 01/19/19 03:36 PM

STEFF something tells me you have some skill in this area. What you are taking on is incredibly difficult and If your bumpers were readily available in high quality Id say buy them no matter the $ but sounds like they are not. I am a guy that made my own beef jerky once....determined it was easier more convenient just to pay the high $$$ per lb and buy it!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums