Moparts

737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK

Posted By: theraif

737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 05:39 AM

Let’s cut to the chase: The LA small-block racing engine we’ve been following, built by Michigan’s Valley Performance for the Race Engine Challenge, took home the gold.

Based on average horsepower per cubic inch, the 376-inch underdog surprised and overpowered more than a few LS builders in the event, punching out 1.963 hp for each genuine Mopar cube and claiming the class win.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/la-engine-kicking-ls-butt-dyno/
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 07:15 AM

They did an excellent job with that build!
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 08:32 AM

Nice, how long would that stock magnum block last?
Posted By: skrews

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 09:09 AM

4 bolt main conversion and windage ports cut n the main webs, NO THANKS. These blocks are weak enough in that area. Makes for a good cross your fingers dyno queen. Good showing though, impressive performance.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 03:14 PM

Nice! I really like my Pro Dominator tunnel ram(converted to port EFI) but it looks like more work than I am capable of to make it work on Victor heads.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 03:44 PM

Ive everything to copy that with the exceptions of the heads, I wonder how that block was after going 4.100? Same intake/carbs/block.

I wonder how it would do with a 4 inch crank?
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Ive everything to copy that with the exceptions of the heads, I wonder how that block was after going 4.100? Same intake/carbs/block.

I wonder how it would do with a 4 inch crank?

And more camshaft and compression. He said it would make 800 in testing spinning it higher( over 8K) .....rules limited pulls to 7500 and the motor had mufflers on it on the dyno

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 04:05 PM

I was just looking at that intake work done on that build, I wonder if they could of fabbed a intake vs all the work they did?

Attached picture DSC09970.JPG
Attached picture 017-Valley-Performance-LA-Engine-Mopar.jpg
Posted By: madscientist

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
I was just looking at that intake work done on that build, I wonder if they could of fabbed a intake vs all the work they did?

If you look at that intake...for what it is it's very hard to beat. Even with the extra runner volume of the heads that plenum will still feed them, yet and the shape is nice. If you already had it on the shelf you have maybe a couple of hours of welding and the port work.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 04:51 PM

Very nice build. Makes me want to go back to a SB/4 speed for my s/s car.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 05:42 PM

As most of you know these big numbers out of "dyno queens" don't really interest me because of all the tricks and costs making them one hit wonders, BUT I love seeing what the Victor heads can produce. Hopeully a set will be on my R3 block (or Ritter block) in stroker form so I can keep the RPM down and make a nice BUDGET long lasting bracket race engine. I would love to know what that block sonic checks at being a 4.100 bore.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 05:43 PM

can someone post links to the earlier build threads of this engine?
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 07:10 PM

It's interesting to note that the engine made such good power with "only" 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" step headers! I've always felt that it's better to stay a bit conservative. However, I wonder if slightly bigger headers would have been better if the higher rpm potential of the engine was allowed within the rules.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 08:19 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2554523
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 08:37 PM

Great. Not that I don't appreciate what it takes to accomplish that, but now, if I can run it 150-175 runs a year with just valve adjustments and oil changes, look at it over the winter and freshen it as needed, and do that for 4 or 5 years without breaking it, I would be interested.

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 08:55 PM

Ya got to recall it was a contest. Not an endurance type contest.

Ya want 175 runs, build a budget bracket motor.

I sorta mistyped, id not copy that build because honestly I think with a 4 inch crank, a good set of non victor heads in a solid race block 700hp isnt extreme. My street racer is a bit over 690hp with nothing real special but it is race block based.

We just seen what the big dogs got with the victor heads, what just under 1000hp?

I wonder what that combo would of made with the exact parts but in a proper R block.

Id think your could hurt that block there without alot of effort.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/11/19 09:29 PM

They made some pretty heady claims about the heads.Anyone know if the #'s are legit?
Posted By: LA360

Re: 737 HP LA SMALL BLOCK - 01/14/19 01:49 AM

Brett Miller has had his hand in on a couple of engines where he's started with a pro port casting. There are posts on both engines, the 59* version made just over 900HP from memory, the 48* engine, which was on display at PRI, made 1016HP

I believe this engine used the CNC ported version from Edelbrock, that they ported further.

This engine has probably got 60-70 dyno pulls on it by now, a lot can be gained in that time. I'd wonder if they tried a couple of different camshafts, along with any bolt on parts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums