Moparts

Winters Shifter opinions

Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 06:03 AM

My whole life I have not owned a performance car with an automatic. The one I am building now will have a Turbo 400 ( I know I know) and I need to purchase a shifter.

I have been looking at ratchet shifters and then stumbled upon the winters shifter. It looks good and is priced right, but what do you folks think on the situation?

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 06:18 AM

Wow are they still around. I haven’t heard that name in 20 years or more.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 06:22 AM

https://www.wideopendesign.com/winters-shifter
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 09:12 AM

That shifter is a very good part no matter which name is on the cover, Fairbanks, Winters, Turbo Action or Art Carr scope
I've used both a Fairbanks and Winters on 727, both where excellent up
I have one left in my shop for my new car when it gets done thumbs
All the ones I have used have been rear exits with reverse manual shift valve bodies boogie
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 02:43 PM

I have heard people say the Winters is the same as the turbo action. I have had some friends with Winters shifters and I did not like them, they were nice and solid but didn't feel as smooth as my TA shifter.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 03:13 PM

I have a standard forward pattern JVX/Winters shifter in my car. It was pretty easy to shift from first to third if I didn't pay attention. I now use it with a reverse pattern valve body and have never went from first to third because I have to push the shifter over and then back. My cable exits the front of the shifter and goes in from the back of the transmission. Good, solid, smooth shifters IMO.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 07:35 PM

The best shifter I ever owned and used was an Winters. I have had B&M, Hurst and Turbo Action as well. The Winters was the best.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 08:28 PM

Don't like a ratchet shifter at all. And I wouldn't use a Winters/Turbo Action in my car for the same reason I wouldn't use a rotary phone in my house.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Don't like a ratchet shifter at all. And I wouldn't use a Winters/Turbo Action in my car for the same reason I wouldn't use a rotary phone in my house.

I love my B&M Pro Ratchet.. I wont use any other type now..
and whats wrong with a rotary phone.. too slow for ya
wave
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 09:03 PM

So what would you use?

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 09:28 PM

I've used a Hurst Quarter Stick on Chrysler 3 speeds that worked well after I put a good cable on it. Now for a 3 speed, I would just use a B&M Pro Stick for that style/price point shifter because I think the hardware is better. Or, if I wanted to spend the money and step up to a better unit, use a clean neutral VB, etc., I would use the PPP. For a Glide, one of the compact, billet units designed specifically for the 2 speed.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/23/18 10:00 PM

I have the T/A in my Valiant. It is reverse pattern and it is really easy to go from 1st the 3rd. I too prefer a Quarter Stick.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/24/18 12:55 AM

Another Quarter Stick fan.

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/24/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
I have the T/A in my Valiant. It is reverse pattern and it is really easy to go from 1st the 3rd. I too prefer a Quarter Stick.

I've had to learn to not leave my relax arm and hand on the shifter on the starting line on more than one different brand of shifters including the ratchet shifters shruggy tsk
I also had to learn on manual 4 speed shifter when speed shifting to pull the shifter towards the seat on the 1st to 2nd gear shift and push it towards the passenger side of the car on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift and then straight back on the 3rd to 4th gear changes shruggy work
Shifters are like women, not all racers like the same ones grin whistling
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/24/18 03:12 AM

I have had winters shifters for 30 years and never shifter from 1 to 3rd. they have a new cover for it to put 8 switches in it too

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/24/18 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

Yeah, but when they're big, ugly, hard to work with and unpredictable, smart guys will send them on to the next guy.

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/24/18 06:45 AM

Yeah, but when they're big, ugly, hard to work with and unpredictable, smart guys will send them on to the next guy.
haha Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it work
I've never heard of one of those shifters not doing the exact same thing over and over again, maybe the driver is the cause of the problems ?
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/25/18 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla

I've had to learn to not leave my relax arm and hand on the shifter on the starting line on more than one different brand of shifters including the ratchet shifters shruggy tsk
I also had to learn on manual 4 speed shifter when speed shifting to pull the shifter towards the seat on the 1st to 2nd gear shift and push it towards the passenger side of the car on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift and then straight back on the 3rd to 4th gear changes shruggy work

I changed the gate plate on my TA shifter to that of a Winters to sole the first to third problem.

http://8903e7f0897f2982f439-51d6683c30d3...d640x480jpg.jpg

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/25/18 08:31 AM

I've never used or adjusted a T/A shifter, I have use both the Winters and Fairbanks, the main thing I like about both of them is you can adjust the linkage so it is dead on within one revolution of a turn on the cable and it will be exactly dead nuts in every gear when you shift, unlike others I have used and gave up on work shruggy
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/25/18 01:27 PM

Another 30+ year fan of the Winters type shifter. Using one right now with a clean neutral valve body.

I do like the look and size of the PPP shifters.....a nicely machined version of a slap-stick oem shifter.

It's pretty hard to beat the dummy-proof simplicity of the Winters style.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/25/18 05:16 PM

Winters Sidewinder in my 64...
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/25/18 07:12 PM

Winters/TA = purple shafts and pinion snubbers
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/25/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Winters/TA = purple shafts and pinion snubbers

tsk boogie laugh2
Posted By: Charrlie_S

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/28/18 02:53 AM

I have a Fairbanks/Winters shifter in my 66 Valiant. I have had it since the '70's. When I first saw it, I didn't think I would like it. But I do like it.
PS: I don't think any automotive manufacturer makes them. I have seen the same mechanism, operating hyraulic controles on "off road" equipment. Just the cover and gate plate is different.

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/28/18 04:36 AM

I was told years ago that the shifter was made for garbage trucks and other H.D. originally and Winters adapted it for racing 727 and 904 back then when they first came out scope
I like and use them still up
Posted By: toyotajeep

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/28/18 04:06 PM

I have an old shifter given to me by friend. It is a Morse and out of something industrial. I have always been thinking it would be a good hot rod shifter. Mechanism is very similar. Pretty easy to adapt if you needed to. I would concur that it is a close relative.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Winters Shifter opinions - 12/28/18 04:16 PM

P P P

https://precisionperformance.com/performance-shifters/

Call John let him get it for you

http://coperacingtranscom.ipage.com/?product_cat=shifters-ppp
© 2024 Moparts Forums