Moparts

Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away

Posted By: BradH

Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 08:02 AM

I just stumbled across a post on another site (YB) that Don Terrill, owner/admin of SpeedTalk.com, has passed away unexpectedly.

Ironically, he had just put ST on view-only mode due to a database error, and nobody can even post this news on his own web site.

He was 55 and leaves behind a wife and kids & grand kids. The cause of death wasn't mentioned in the obit linked from the post, but people who knew him said they weren't aware of him having any serious health issues.
Posted By: scottb

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 08:54 AM

Yes I just got back from the viewing for Don very sad situation for what happened he was a good friend of mine and 1 of the smartest guys you would have ever know He was the engine builder for Sabco and did all the QF motors when joe Nemacek won all those poles and got the nick name front row Joe he even put Robbie Gornden on a pole RIP Don
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 12:35 PM

No.....My deepest Condolences to his family and friends. Very smart man, Speed talk was the one other website I visited daily. It had been down since the 13th.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 03:56 PM

Sorry to read this.
Brad - Thanks for posting.
frown
Posted By: jcc

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 04:40 PM

RIP angel

It appears I posted the final reply
. eek
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 05:43 PM

deepest condolences as well. One of the websites I visited each day. Any news on the survival of the website?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 05:50 PM

That's a shame.

I am not a member of ST as I figure my input would be meaningless there, but it has come up in research many times, making me an avid reader.

Hope the site survives.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 06:28 PM

Wow..........That’s a real shame.

Condolences to the family.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/20/18 06:32 PM

Wow, fifty-five, way too young.

Brad, thanks for letting us know.

I hope the website survives.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/21/18 06:45 PM

SpeedTalk appears to still be locked down so Don must not have had any sort of backup plan in place. I suppose that isn't unusual for a one guy operation. I'm sure there are passwords and account information all written down somewhere but there might not be anybody who knows where "somewhere" is.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/21/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
SpeedTalk appears to still be locked down so Don must not have had any sort of backup plan in place. I suppose that isn't unusual for a one guy operation. I'm sure there are passwords and account information all written down somewhere but there might not be anybody who knows where "somewhere" is.

The store is down too. I decided to buy the Horsepower Chain book but I can't do it.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/22/18 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By madscientist

The store is down too. I decided to buy the Horsepower Chain book but I can't do it.

I googled that book title and a link came up to buy it for I think it was 97.00

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/22/18 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Originally Posted By madscientist

I googled that book title and a link came up to buy it for I think it was 97.00

Yeah, that's the link and the book. Unless you found it on amazon it's the ST web site. The link to the checkout feature on his store won't work.

I haven't been on ST since October so this was news to me. I was going to buy the book eventually but I figured I'd do it now and hope maybe others would too and put some money in the families pocket.

If anyone knows how to buy the book so Don's family gets the money, or through Amazon as I suspect that money would go to the family (I hope it would) PM and I'll buy a copy.
Posted By: DGS

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/22/18 02:38 PM

Way too young... frown

about the website: it might be a good idea to save the whole forum for offline use...
Posted By: jcc

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/22/18 03:51 PM

How or who would do that? Manually who would be quite a task.
I like the idea, there is a wealth of info there.
I suspect the clock is running out as we speak, if another party does not take it over, and probate is rather sluggish.
Posted By: DGS

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/22/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By jcc
How or who would do that? Manually who would be quite a task.
I like the idea, there is a wealth of info there.
I suspect the clock is running out as we speak, if another party does not take it over, and probate is rather sluggish.

I'm working on it and might be able to do it tonight. There are programs that allow you to save entire webpages including media files for offline use.

Here are some options if someone else wants to save the webpage:

https://www.technorms.com/35952/5-ways-download-complete-websites-for-offline-use

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 12:05 AM

I will have a friend of mine ask Dons wife what the plans are with the site after things have settled down some
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 12:08 AM

She should be able to sell that site to someone. Not sure how much something like that is worth but that site had a lot of traffic and some really hard core users on it every day arguing about the same stuff over and over......

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 12:13 AM

No idea what its worth 1 thing I know about Don he knew how to make money without getting his hands dirty very smart man he will be missed

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 12:17 AM

I bought the head porting CD’s sold on the site years ago. Kinda interesting hearing everyone’s thoughts and ideas.
Posted By: maxeffort

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 12:21 AM

Don had a good thing going with that site and related materials.
In the early days the forum was remarkable.

Ive spoke with Don and wrote a couple articles for him. Always a real nice guy.

I have to wonder if he or his family put the site on “read only” with the data base message, just to keep it on hold so things didn’t get out of control until it could be managed again.

The horsepower chain book is availible in the scratch and dent section, I was able to add it to the cart.

http://racingsecrets.com/scratch-dent-sale.html
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 12:55 AM

Came here to look for any news about the site and just found this topic.
Very sad to hear. R.I.P.

I had sent an email through the forum to Don asking if he needed any help with the forum's database issues he seemed to have.
No reply unfortunatly.

I would really like to offer help ro keep that site keep up and running.

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By maxeffort
Don had a good thing going with that site and related materials.
In the early days the forum was remarkable.

Ive spoke with Don and wrote a couple articles for him. Always a real nice guy.

I have to wonder if he or his family put the site on “read only” with the data base message, just to keep it on hold so things didn’t get out of control until it could be managed again.

The horsepower chain book is availible in the scratch and dent section, I was able to add it to the cart.

http://racingsecrets.com/scratch-dent-sale.html

Thanks for that link. I just ordered the book, and it says I ordered it, but it never asked for my credit card info to pay for it. It did ask all my other info and my phone number. Maybe they will call for that.

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I bought the head porting CD’s sold on the site years ago. Kinda interesting hearing everyone’s thoughts and ideas.

Be got a bunch of those. I've listened to them for hours. There is a lot of good info in them. Some of it may be a bit dated, but they still have value. Every now and then, when I have a long drive, I pick out some I want to hear again and pop them in.

I also wrote a book he wrote and I liked it. Some stuff was redundant, but Don always told me if you learn one thing from something, it's worth the price.

I mostly agree with that.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/23/18 06:17 PM

I had a bunch of those CDs also, very interesting and can shorten a long drive. I loaned them out and I don't think I got them back.

Like mentioned some of it is probably dated by now but still interesting.
Posted By: maxeffort

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/29/18 05:59 PM

A new announcement from Beverly is up on the site.

https://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55644

Quote:
Sadly I inform you that Don (my husband) passed away on December 13th. I am working to find resources to help me get the forum opened up to new members and posts. You can view my husbands obituary here: https://www.langelands.com/notices/Donald-Terrill

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/30/18 02:31 AM

I’m glad she is working things out Don had a great web site going on there

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/30/18 02:42 AM

Don sounds like one of those guys that succeeded in everything he set his heart to. Gotta love that.

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/30/18 04:37 AM

He did that’s why it’s so hard imagine it ending this way

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/30/18 04:38 AM

He did that’s why it’s so hard to see it ending this way
Posted By: varunner

Re: Don Terrill -- SpeedTalk.com -- passed away - 12/30/18 11:30 PM

Well done video in the obituary. RIP
© 2024 Moparts Forums