Moparts

A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi

Posted By: ZIPPY

A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/12/18 06:53 PM

It seems posting pictures is kind of difficult so I'm trying to help and keep content going, before I inevitably crawl back into my cave again and do whatever else it is that I do...

Dave got one of the very last Megablocks during the transition to the World block. He ordered it during a dry spell and used to call regularly looking for ETA. I remember we started out introducing ourselves using our Moparts handles.

What year was it? Had to have been '07-ish, maybe?
Little did I know the beast he intended on creating.
I believe this has evolved a bit over time into what you see today.

The only dual Thermoquad tunnel ram deal I have ever seen.
And that oil pan? that's just as beastly as the rest of it.

If we're lucky, he will stop by and tell us a little more about it.

Just a very unique and in my opinion inspiring build.
Dave: Respect

Attached picture Dave Vraa Hemi.jpg
Attached picture Dave Vraa Hemi2.JPG

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/12/18 06:54 PM

Installed in this vehicle:

Attached picture dave vraa truck.jpg
Posted By: madscientist

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/12/18 09:10 PM

Love the truck.
Love the engine.
Love the carbs.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/12/18 10:01 PM

Dave is my kind of hotrodder. An engineers mind, and down home use what ya got. I have had the chance to visit with Dave a few times, having met through another racer from northern MN. Great bunch of folks up there, and not too far from where i grew up.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/12/18 10:56 PM

Love the build, love the old truck. I prefer Dominators on a tunnel ram. LOL

Attached picture rsz_rsz_20160507_120139.jpg
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 12:42 AM

Yup, always loved his truck. Awesomesauce!!!
Posted By: quickd100

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 04:11 AM

Gosh, my hat won't fit in the morning if you keep this up. Seriously though, the build is nothing special. I either needed a bigger pan or a puke tank when I increased the displacement from 528 to 605. I don't like a puke tank on the street so the choice was easy. A truck with a straight axle allows all sorts of pan shapes.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By quickd100
I either needed a bigger pan or a puke tank when I increased the displacement from 528 to 605.

NO!!!!
All you need now is....?!?

A CAMPER!!!!!
shruggy

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 05:34 AM

Well the whole build was off the wall and an exercise in patience. Had to build custom headers to fit, Fab motor mounts, trans mount, narrow and build a Dana, fab a 4-link, widen the wheelwells, and the list goes on. The biggest frustration was waiting 3 years for a good block.
The thermoquad were a given, they are my favorite carb. It doesn't hurt either that they are dirt cheap too.
It's turned out pretty well, it drives nice on the street and has enough hp to still scare the crap out of me from time to time. Last summer I ran into a Hellcat Demon owner. I told him he didn't want to try me as he was a little short on hp and out weighed me. He didn't listen and suffered his first loss.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 06:37 AM

Love the TQ TR Dave....I have a pair of built 6322s Id love to try on a TR wink
Posted By: justinp61

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 07:27 AM

That truck is one of my favorite rides on Moparts. I had a 60 model with a step side bed when I was a kid.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 08:22 AM

I can't imagine trying to get the air flow to cylinders #1&2 and #5&6 equal confused work
There was a street racer in SO CA years ago that had a 1971 Boss 351C Mustang with a tunnel ram with either two 850 CFM Carter Tquads or they may have been the bigger 1000 CFM Competition series Tquads confused
I beat him with a strip out 340 1970 Duster 4 speed car with 4.89 gears and a set of NHRA legal 9x29x15 Firestone stocker slicks devil He was a real tire spinner also whistling

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 12:55 PM

Cab, according to the egt's and reading the plugs, and the A/F readouts cylinder balance has not been an issue. I think a motor this size would benefit from more plenum volume but any spacers under the carbs would force me to cut the hood and I'm unwilling to do that.
Anyway the truck has more hp than it can legally run at the strip without slowing it down now. Even running it low 10's is real exciting in the left lane at the local track. There are a series of small bumps just before the strip which unloads the suspension. Every pass in that lane is a white knuckle ride.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I can't imagine trying to get the air flow to cylinders #1&2 and #5&6 equal confused work
There was a street racer in SO CA years ago that had a 1971 Boss 351C Mustang with a tunnel ram with either two 850 CFM Carter Tquads or they may have been the bigger 1000 CFM Competition series Tquads confused
I beat him with a strip out 340 1970 Duster 4 speed car with 4.89 gears and a set of NHRA legal 9x29x15 Firestone stocker slicks devil He was a real tire spinner also whistling

Why would air/fuel distribution be any worse with the TQ than anything else?

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 06:41 PM

I always thought one of the many advantages to any large plenum style manifold, rather than an isolated runner manifold, was each cyl. received more of a "blend" of everything in the plenum, and that the plenum itself would hopefully help take care of barrel-to-barrel inconsistencies.

Maybe not perfectly in every case, though.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 07:21 PM

Love that truck.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By ZIPPY
It seems posting pictures is kind of difficult so I'm trying to help and keep content going, before I inevitably crawl back into my cave again and do whatever else it is that I do...

Dave got one of the very last Megablocks during the transition to the World block. He ordered it during a dry spell and used to call regularly looking for ETA. I remember we started out introducing ourselves using our Moparts handles.

What year was it? Had to have been '07-ish, maybe?
Little did I know the beast he intended on creating.
I believe this has evolved a bit over time into what you see today.

The only dual Thermoquad tunnel ram deal I have ever seen.
And that oil pan? that's just as beastly as the rest of it.

If we're lucky, he will stop by and tell us a little more about it.

Just a very unique and in my opinion inspiring build.
Dave: Respect

Yes, love that truck and always have!! I agree too that the picture deal here is a pain. Sorry Moparts, don't mean to sound ungrateful...but time to trade in the flip phone
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 09:08 PM

That truck is a monster! Always loved it and the hemi buildup.

I've only seen one other tunnelram w/ a pair of thermoquads on it...SGcuda (Kenny) here on the board used to run that setup on his cuda back in the '80s I think. I remember him showing me a picture of it a long time ago and thinking wow, that's different, lol.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 09:29 PM

Love your truck. Previously I had only seen it in your avatar so it was good to see the larger picture. Very nice! Still the factory dropped axle? That must sound incredible.

- EM
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/13/18 09:47 PM

Dave, the form mayor of CLimax. I got to meet him back when we were relaying the Moparts enginemaster motor across the country. He has cool stuff, and knows lots of things. And he's a nice guy, too!

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/14/18 12:01 AM

Correction Joel, I am originally from Climax. I live and am the Mayor of Nielsville.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/14/18 12:05 AM

Mayor of Nielsville: AKA license to speed, get out of jail free card. (:

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/14/18 01:27 AM

Well I've never been picked up. My semi-private test track, (440 St. SW) runs right through town
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/14/18 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By madscientist
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

Why would air/fuel distribution be any worse with the TQ than anything else?

My thinking is more air, a lot more, will flow through the back two barrels than the front work scope
Having the large plenum on the tunnel ram intake is evidently helping cure the mismatch air flow from the carbs.on his motor work up
Posted By: moparx

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/14/18 05:45 PM

when the time comes, i hope dave can help me with a pair of TQ's on an old log ram i want to try on my humpback. luck
beer
Posted By: Gavin

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 12/17/18 02:22 PM

Like all the rest - always loved your truck!!

Also
Originally Posted By quickd100
440 St

Great street name up

Re: A thread about QuickD100 / Dave Vraa's 605ci Street Hemi - 01/03/19 07:31 PM

Couple more. This thing is a BEAST 😎

Attached picture 2019-01-03 12.27.55.png
Attached picture 2019-01-03 12.27.22.png
© 2024 Moparts Forums