Moparts

Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added

Posted By: WHITEDART

Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/01/18 10:42 PM

Picked up the new Dash today going to have a hard time painting over the nice looking carbon fiber look

Attached picture Screenshot_20181201-123851_Gallery.jpg

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/01/18 10:43 PM

4 lb 11 oz. whistling

Attached picture Screenshot_20181201-123828_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: jcc

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/01/18 10:47 PM

Are there UV inhibitors in the binder?
If so I would not paint it, if not maybe use a UV inhibitor clear Poly.

Looks nice up

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/01/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By jcc
Are there UV inhibitors in the binder?
If so I would not paint it, if not maybe use a UV inhibitor clear Poly.

Looks nice up
. I have no idea I guess that would have been a good question I can find out though..
Posted By: Edge

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 12:11 AM

Does this dash replace the whole dash and the dash pad ? Nice looking piece for sure. Who is making/supplying these ? Price ???

thanks
Posted By: rebel

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 01:46 AM

Looks better than my pvc plastic wannabe carbon dash.

Attached picture 20181202_123329.jpg

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 02:10 AM

The dash is made here locally buy a company called Unlimited fiberglass.. the cost I'm not sure whistling you might have to call them to find out yes it is a direct replacement for the entire Dash..
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 02:31 AM

Unpainted I don't think it helps the story of "it's just a old Dodge with a truck motor, that weighs about 3100lbs"

Attached picture Screenshot_20181201-160612.png
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 06:34 AM

popcorn
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 07:20 AM

price is listed in their catalog.......

not sure if this is it or not...

Dash Board, Carbon, Clear Gel Coat for the "Carbon Look"
67-69 Dart Fiberglass Dash Board (ups ok)

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 07:29 AM

Come on ....spill the beans ON THE PRICE whistling
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 01:28 PM

That's Nice looking
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 01:58 PM

Same piece Chris was selling a few years back...
Posted By: dvw

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 04:53 PM

How much does the steel dash weigh empty?
Doug
Posted By: Edge

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 05:30 PM

thanks I will check it out

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By Edge
thanks I will check it out
. This is a cut and paste from their website

Attached picture Screenshot_20181202-081945_Chrome.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 06:39 PM

It would be cool if the vendors start modifying their molds so Racepaks or the new Holley Pro Dash will bolt on. Here is a picture of the new Pro Dash compared to a stock A body cluster. I can't quite tell from your picture if the Pro Dash would fit on the carbon dash or not. If it didn't fit it wouldn't take much reshaping for the vendor to get it to fit. If I was making glass parts that is how I'd sell stuff but could just be me.

Attached picture DSC_3164 (Large).JPG
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 07:50 PM

That's a beauty. I don't know if I could paint over it, myself.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/02/18 10:45 PM

Wow .... how this market has changed ! .... and the desire for that carbon fiber look! And people used to beat me up on a 20$ price difference on my hood with custom bracing !! I even went so far as aluminum and MAG tubing .... now that was extra !

Almost TWICE THE MONEY than a regular FG dash and not that much of a weight savings. There was a biz OVER THERE that was EXCLUSIVELY in the CF biz and I had a chat or two with him about that market.

He said .... CF is to guys ... what diamonds are to chicks ! ..

GOOD for UNLIMITED PRODUCTS if they can capitalize on that !!!

Posted By: Dragula

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/03/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
It would be cool if the vendors start modifying their molds so Racepaks or the new Holley Pro Dash will bolt on. Here is a picture of the new Pro Dash compared to a stock A body cluster. I can't quite tell from your picture if the Pro Dash would fit on the carbon dash or not. If it didn't fit it wouldn't take much reshaping for the vendor to get it to fit. If I was making glass parts that is how I'd sell stuff but could just be me.

Actually they have, just not for Mopars....

Racepak:
http://classicdash.com/racepak/

Holley
http://classicdash.com/holley-dashes/
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/03/18 02:51 AM

When I built a mold and a CF hood for my car
I painted but if you want the CF look and its
in the sun all the time.. shoot it with a
quality clear coat.. I used PPG.. its made to
be in the sun light
wave

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/03/18 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By CarrotVanMan
Wow .... how this market has changed ! .... and the desire for that carbon fiber look! And people used to beat me up on a 20$ price difference on my hood with custom bracing !! I even went so far as aluminum and MAG tubing .... now that was extra !

Almost TWICE THE MONEY than a regular FG dash and not that much of a weight savings. There was a biz OVER THERE that was EXCLUSIVELY in the CF biz and I had a chat or two with him about that market.

He said .... CF is to guys ... what diamonds are to chicks ! ..

GOOD for UNLIMITED PRODUCTS if they can capitalize on that !!!

I guess it's whatever the market will bear I'm willing to pay the price if it's something that I need and something that will work the way it's supposed to..

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/03/18 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
When I built a mold and a CF hood for my car
I painted but if you want the CF look and its
in the sun all the time.. shoot it with a
quality clear coat.. I used PPG.. its made to
be in the sun light
wave

Mr P ..... I totally agree ! .... NO sarcasm meant here ! .... I in fact have some OEM CF radio panel trim in my 05 CarrotVan and it sure looks good.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/03/18 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
I guess it's whatever the market will bear I'm willing to pay the price if it's something that I need and something that will work the way it's supposed to..

NO guessing about it WD ..... and I truly meant GOOD FOR THEM ! .... honestly - I’ve never done any CF work and based on my few convos with people who have - THEY CAN HAVE IT ! .... it’s a PITA to work with ... the cost of materials, the minimal weight saving for the huge dollars spent AND from what I’ve heard reports of - other than SOME of the funny car bodies and a select few drag-race parts - It’s not laid up or vacuum bagged correctly for the maximum weight saving.

Stuff done 110% right ? Contact any F1 team.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/03/18 07:50 PM

Picked up the new Dash today going to have a hard time painting over the nice looking carbon fiber look

Looks good Shiloh!

I have a glass one in the Duster (real light) I love it because it covers all the bars and junk next to the fire wall.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/05/18 09:04 PM

Have you fit it in the car yet?
Posted By: BobR

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/05/18 09:30 PM

Unlimited used to be junk. Not any longer. Most of their stuff is high quality.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/05/18 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
Have you fit it in the car yet?
not yet but it will be fine..I'm sure up
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By Doc Fiberglass

NO guessing about it WD ..... and I truly meant GOOD FOR THEM ! .... honestly - I’ve never done any CF work and based on my few convos with people who have - THEY CAN HAVE IT ! .... it’s a PITA to work with ... the cost of materials, the minimal weight saving for the huge dollars spent AND from what I’ve heard reports of - other than SOME of the funny car bodies and a select few drag-race parts - It’s not laid up or vacuum bagged correctly for the maximum weight saving.

Stuff done 110% right ? Contact any F1 team.

I have made carbon parts for airplanes that doubled in weight when I painted them. If you bag them right and get good vacuum, they are uber light. 3 layers of carbon, part weighed 7 oz, painted was over a pound, good for 200 MPH...

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 03:47 AM

ast .... so how do well made CF aircraft parts compare - weight wise - to nicely made FRP parts ? How about the diff in cost ? ...

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 04:39 AM

Cost of materials is 30-50% more than pure bidirectional e-glass if I use the minimum layers of carbon and have double the glass layers, biggest thing is building molds...I found that weight was double or more with straight glass just because I could use way less material with carbon. I used an e-glass cloth layer between the layers of carbon which helped save cost and the carbon was so much stiffer than glass when it is separated with layers glass, glass parts were .040-.125 thick, carbon .020-.030 with a layer of glass in between the carbon. These were not overly large parts, just farings but weight adds up quickly on an aircraft. Tim

Bagging made a huge difference in weight vs just a gel coated wet layup with chopped matt or heavy glass cloth to get the same stiffness.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY

Speculation or truth?
I picked up a couple glass ones when he was selling them.

Also, its listed as 67-69, but should fit 70-72 as well, no?

be interested to see how it fits up

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 03:10 PM

ast .... so how do well made CF aircraft parts compare - weight wise - to nicely made FRP parts ? How about the diff in cost ? ...

My 62 Lancer hood, CF/Kevlar/epoxy, with a 1/4" DivinyCell Core weighs 11 lbs. A first run of same hood had a vacuum pump failure during lay up, ended up weighing approx 14 lbs. Guy who bought it as a "second" was happy.

http://www.diabgroup.com/en-GB/Products-and-services/Core-Material/Divinycell-H

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD

Speculation or truth?

. I just seen one that was put into a 69 Dodge Dart it was fiberglass but the same mode. It fit nicely
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD

Speculation or truth?

. I just seen one that was put into a 69 Dodge Dart it was fiberglass but the same mode. It fit nicely

I saw the same one when I went out to the garage. I got mine from
Chris.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By astjp2
Cost of materials is 30-50% more than pure bidirectional e-glass if I use the minimum layers of carbon and have double the glass layers, biggest thing is building molds...I found that weight was double or more with straight glass just because I could use way less material with carbon. I used an e-glass cloth layer between the layers of carbon which helped save cost and the carbon was so much stiffer than glass when it is separated with layers glass, glass parts were .040-.125 thick, carbon .020-.030 with a layer of glass in between the carbon. These were not overly large parts, just farings but weight adds up quickly on an aircraft. Tim

Bagging made a huge difference in weight vs just a gel coated wet layup with chopped matt or heavy glass cloth to get the same stiffness.

So ast ... jsta as a comparision - what should a FRP one weigh if built with the same craftsmanship as this CF one?
Posted By: mopar_man619

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 11:25 PM

very nice piece !!!

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/06/18 11:32 PM

If one is marketing a CF hybrid item , for cost saving, I understand the E glass internal layer, but the cost saving IMO for a personal use item, in the big picture, is not significant. I use Kevlar as a bulk internal layer in addition to its other well known attributes.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/07/18 01:30 AM

So ast ... jsta as a comparision - what should a FRP one weigh if built with the same craftsmanship as this CF one?

It wont be as stiff...and therefore would require more structure and thus more weight to be equivalent to a carbon/epoxy based matrix. Testing is the only way to make a legitimate comparison. Stiffness is the key with carbon, kevlar resists penetration, glass cloth is strong but lacks stiffness compared to the other 2 fibers. 100% of the load in a composite structure goes through the stiffest fiber until it fails, then the load transfers to the next stiffest fiber type. So carbon is the stiffest, then aramids like kevlar, then glass. If you layup just carbon, you are wasting material, you create a box beam like structure if you fill with glass or Kevlar. The separation of layers allows the structure to maintain sufficient stiffness with reduced costs vs. pure carbon.

Unidirectional fibers also lose about 95% of their stiffness when you get 3-4 degrees away from perpendicular to the fiber flow, that is one reason to use a multi directional cloth and layer in 90/60/45/30 degree increments or some variation, meaning don't layup everything in the same direction.

Excess resin also adds weight but doesn't add anything significant to the structure, that is why they vacuum bag, to get rid of excess resin and VOC's. Autoclaves, do more of the same as bagging.

When using Kevlar, it makes it very hard to cut the matrix, that is why i use glass. Kevlar is terrible on scissors and saws. If you throw titanium fibers into the matrix, it is even worse, you will need to cut with a water jet or laser.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/11/18 06:31 PM

Doing some test fitting and trimming so far seems to fit fairly nice

Attached picture Screenshot_20181211-082736_Gallery.jpg

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/11/18 06:40 PM

A few picks

Attached picture 20181211_083816.jpg
Attached picture 35318.jpeg
Posted By: humpty

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/11/18 09:23 PM

Looking good Shiloh! Did you happen to weigh the old dash?

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/11/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By humpty
Looking good Shiloh! Did you happen to weigh the old dash?
.. yes mine weighed 23.8oz lb. With upper and lower dash pads.. the new setup in the car will probably be 6 lb that includes the new racepak Dash
Posted By: humpty

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/11/18 09:50 PM

Good info, thank you. Are you going to continue to run your tach or any other gauges aside from the Racepak dash?

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/11/18 10:57 PM

As of right now I'm going to run the tack... I'm not 100% sure on the other gauges yet
Posted By: 69Mcode440

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/12/18 06:35 AM

Tell us about your steering column.

Mike

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/12/18 02:58 PM

It's a Chassis Works steering column kit.. basically cut to length and weld together.. it saves a bunch of weight and cost around two hundred bucks..
Posted By: 69Mcode440

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/12/18 06:39 PM

It's a Chassis Works steering column kit.. basically cut to length and weld together.. it saves a bunch of weight and cost around two hundred bucks..

Thanks!
Mike
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/12/18 07:39 PM

Thank you for all the information and pictures! The dash in my Valiant has been hacked and chopped on so much I think a dash like this will be the next big project on it. wave
Posted By: bigblockrik

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/12/18 11:36 PM

Looks killer is the flat area for the gauges vertical or angled cant tell from the pics and could you measure it wording how large of a gauge it will hold.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/13/18 03:06 AM

WD 40
That dash looks dashing.
That's a good amount of weight loss that got my radar going.

Good luck moving forward which should be fairly easier now that you've got 16 lbs less to haul.
Go get 'em.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/13/18 06:24 PM

It's so purty!! Almost would be hesitant to cut the race pak dash hole sawzall

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
WD 40
That dash looks dashing.
That's a good amount of weight loss that got my radar going.

Good luck moving forward which should be fairly easier now that you've got 16 lbs less to haul.
Go get 'em.
let's just say you have inspired me.. in all reality a stock Dash is closer to 30 lb... but my current Dash had already been on a pretty decent diet. I think this is going to be just shy of 20 lb gross after I got rid of some more weight that was hanging around in that area

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By bigblockrik
Looks killer is the flat area for the gauges vertical or angled cant tell from the pics and could you measure it wording how large of a gauge it will hold.
I haven't forgot about you I just haven't had the opportunity to get out there and take those measurements for you hopefully over the weekend I can get back at it

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 01:35 AM

The fit and finish is done on the dash now but apparently there was a gopher that got into the garage.. sawzall

Attached picture 35796.jpeg
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 01:41 AM

Swiss Cheese Mouse?

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By Biginchmopar
Swiss Cheese Mouse?
. Yeah good point I bet you that's what it was

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 04:46 AM

Thank you.
If it wasn't that your car bites like a pit bull, I would have said to throw that 20-30 lbs in the trunk.
As far as paint, being that you are going to run a race pac and other various gauges on the board, I'd keep the dash as it is....Though , have you checked if the cross fibers of the dash top give off a distracting reflection from the windshield?

If anything, I'd paint the top portion a matte/flat black and leave the face in the natural fibers.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 05:29 AM

We have talked extensively regarding glare.. unfortunately. Kevin at unlimited worked us a special deal I kind of need to run it the way it is kind of as a show and tell. I hope you know what I mean.. at some point it may get painted..

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/15/18 06:05 AM

Totally get it.
It is a nice piece and even nicer that it weighs close to nothing for its size.
I guess you have to run longer grounds and such to the side kick panels now that you can't ground things to the dash anymore.

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/23/18 10:45 PM

Sorry it took so long for me to get back with the measurements

Attached picture 37573.jpeg
Attached picture 37581.jpeg

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/23/18 10:47 PM

Few more

Attached picture 37577.jpeg
Attached picture 37577.jpeg

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/23/18 10:49 PM

The top section is about 5 in lower section is approximately 2.5 inches.. and yes it has the basic shape of the original Dash..

Attached picture 37583.jpeg
Posted By: bigblockrik

Re: Carbon fiber dash . Pics and weight added - 12/24/18 04:20 PM

Thanks for getting the measurements.Looks killer
© 2024 Moparts Forums