Moparts

3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20

Posted By: Jeremiah

3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/26/18 05:40 PM

We are getting ready to start fabbing up the drive shaft hoops and during that exercise I'd like to build the exhaust along the way.

I am contemplating using oval tubing from the headers, h-pipe, through the muffler and then back to round for the tail pipes (shock clearance) OR just routing the oval tubing right in front of the front leaf spring hanger w/ some 45 deg sections.

My last system of 15 years was 3" round, h-pipe, and routed the front of the spring hangers. I really liked it and rarely drop the 1/4 windows so it wasn't fumey in the car.

Also adding to the complexity is installing cut outs for nitrous use. I didn't figure that a full length exhaust is a good plan for a nitrous hit. Am I off base on this? My last exhaust system more or less burned the mufflers off like a barbecue and the thin metal rusted away at the welds. I'd like to avoid that considering the cost of materials.

Should I bite the bullet and go with 304 SS? I don't know much about MIG welding stainless.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

For vendors, it seems like a few places have oval tubing and such.

I like the idea of tail pipes for a more civil ride however the simplicity of a short exhaust system that divorces at the "H" is very appealing. I could have the old system off in ten minutes or less depending on how hot the car was.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/26/18 07:57 PM

I got all my exhaust from these guys , but their being local to me swayed the decision.
They do a right nice X pipe.
They manufacture nearly everything in house and could probably do a build to order piece if you have a print or drawing with dimensions.
No oval tubing though.
http://heartthrobexhaust.com/
Posted By: steve660

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/26/18 08:23 PM

Spintech has oval tubing. They even have oval x pipe setups. If you go oval tubing you have to go oversized to equal same flow as round pipe.

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/26/18 10:19 PM

Interesting. I'll have to look for measurements. I didn't see any on Vibrant's site. Thanks for pointing me towards Spintech.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/26/18 10:25 PM

I believe Kooks also offers oval tubing.
Posted By: dvw

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/26/18 11:13 PM

Aluminized tubing lasts very well. this exhaust system is 15 years old. I did have to recoat the headers as the tubing outlasted them.
Doug

Attached picture 2018-11-26 16.14.17.jpg

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/27/18 12:47 AM

Very nice system sir.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/29/18 05:10 AM

http://www.drgas.com/
never mind, he retired and closed up shop...
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 3.5" Exhaust Parts Source/Opinions Tail Pipes/Oval Tube/N20 - 11/29/18 01:57 PM

Racepartsolutions.com they might have it. Not sure
© 2024 Moparts Forums