Moparts

Carb switch or not...

Posted By: TonyS451

Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 08:09 PM

Question for you guys. Ive purchased a set of Trick flow 240 heads for my 505. The heads will replace stock stealth heads, and for now ive decided to stick with the current mild hydrualic flat tappet cam (Comp XE284, 240 @.050, .507 lift, 110lsa). The current intake is a Edelbrock Torker 11 and carb is Quick fuel super street 830 mech secondaries. My question is do you think there will be any benefit worth ponying up for a 950 quick fuel carb? The 830 carb is like brand new and should be easy enough to flip, so I'm not really concerned with the $$. Just want the carb thats going to make the most power and also be street friendly .

Its also has TTI 1 7/8 headers, 3" exhaust and a 4 speed with 3.55's.

Its a mostly street driven 72 Challenger.

Thanks for your feedback smile
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 08:22 PM

I had that S/S carb on the 360 that was in my Dart when i bought it, but the 750 version, not the 830. Ran it at the track, worked well. Swapped it for a trick 950 carb that i had laying around that was on an engine masters entry.
The 950 was just hair more than a tenth better on the same night at the track.
Hope this gives a little perspective.
Car runs whats in my signature

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By B3422W5
I had that S/S carb on the 360 that was in my Dart when i bought it, but the 750 version, not the 830. Ran it at the track, worked well. Swapped it for a trick 950 carb that i had laying around that was on an engine masters entry.
The 950 was just hair more than a tenth better on the same night at the track.
Hope this gives a little perspective.
Car runs whats in my signature

Thats great info. Obviously, different combo but gaining a tenth in back to back test is pretty cool.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 08:35 PM

if your carb is like the one in the chart here, it should flow more air than the 950...

can you verify, your SS830 has larger secondary venturi than primary??

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com.au/content/Quick%20Fuel%20Carb%20Size%20with%20details-AUST.pdf

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By krautrock
if your carb is like the one in the chart here, it should flow more air than the 950...

can you verify, your SS830 has larger secondary venturi than primary??

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com.au/content/Quick%20Fuel%20Carb%20Size%20with%20details-AUST.pdf

I'll have to look. The model I have is the ss 830, so according to your chart it should. Thanks for the link
Posted By: BradH

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 08:45 PM

I’d just try it before I bought another carb.

whistling
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 09:00 PM

Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 09:38 PM

the states 1.45/1.56 venturi's 1.75 throttle bores for the 830. the 830 looks good to me.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 10:28 PM

Too bad you don't live next door to BradH. You could try a different carb every week for several months and still not reach the back of his carb shelf.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By lewtot184
the states 1.45/1.56 venturi's 1.75 throttle bores for the 830. the 830 looks good to me.

Thats what i was thinking. Good to have the facts. Not the first time I've heard of a "smaller" carb actually being as big or bigger than the "bigger carb".

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Too bad you don't live next door to BradH. You could try a different carb every week for several months and still not reach the back of his carb shelf.

Hey, the guy likes carbs smile

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

probably for the best smile

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By BradH

whistling

smile

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 10:48 PM

Factually incorrect: I count only 6, i.e. 1.5 months worth at 1 per week.

But I get your point. tonguue

Attached picture CRB INV.jpg

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 11:17 PM

You could build a big V12 and use all six of those carbs at the same time. Then you wouldn't have any extras.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By TonyS451
Originally Posted By lewtot184

Thats what i was thinking. Good to have the facts. Not the first time I've heard of a "smaller" carb actually being as big or bigger than the "bigger carb".
i'd just run it. I think it's close to the ideal size for a single plane; especially if you drive it. if it's race only i'd try symmetrical venturi and throttle bores (850) with a single plane.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/25/18 11:35 PM

Seems like they should be in a glass case with a red velvet rope strung through some big brass stands.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 01:05 AM

It may be factually incorrect but it damn sure made me LOL.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 03:44 AM

Seems like they should be in a glass case with a red velvet rope strung through some big brass stands.

I was saving up to have each one titanium nitride coated first. Until then, recyclable plastic grocery bags covering each carb will have to suffice.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 04:49 AM

Your kids are going to be on that TV show Strange Inheritance someday talking about all the carburetors they inherited. Should be a top rated show when it airs!
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 05:34 AM

I'd like to try that annular unit in the back row. I think my engine would respond well to an annular carb. work

Gus beer

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 04:30 PM

One for each day of drag week....... plus a dedicated “spare”.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 05:05 PM

Like the guy who displays his toys in their unopened boxes.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 05:13 PM

You mean....... “collectibles” smoke
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 05:57 PM

You mean....... “collectibles” smoke

Is it's a series from the Franklin Mint? biggrin

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 06:02 PM

If they were, I’d have expected them to come in their own “display case”.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
I'd like to try that annular unit in the back row. I think my engine would respond well to an annular carb. work

Another view for you...
- QFT/Proform 1.58" v main body
- BLP Pro-Flow base plate
- Holley Ultra emulsion blocks
- Holley Ultra fuel bowls

Yeah, it should be a nice piece w/ more refinement on the tune that was in it when it was dynode last fall.

Attached picture QFT_1_58_AN.jpg

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 06:51 PM

As for the REST of you guys... fart

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/26/18 08:23 PM

Just ribbing you a bit. I think I had more than a dozen carbs sitting on my shelf before I sold them all to fund the EFI conversion. I had two sets of duals as well as a variety of Edelbrock, Thermoquad, OEM and high performance carbs. I think they're all gone now but there could be one or two still hiding out in the shop.

Re: Carb switch or not... - 09/27/18 02:37 AM

grin
© 2024 Moparts Forums