Moparts

Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit?

Posted By: RV2

Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 02:36 AM

Thinking of rewiring my car over the winter
Looking for recommendations on harness kits.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 02:38 AM

Painless
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 02:45 AM

Been wondering myself who likes what and why. I have been looking at the Leash Pro-street boards...looks nice.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By BloFish
Painless

I like ARC better. The Painless kit I bought for my wagon was the biggest POS I ever used. If I had wired it per their directions my start button would have been hot 100% of the time.The wires are cheap and a very light.

The only reason I used it was the panel fir where I wanted it. I should have just made my own.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 03:13 AM

For a race car or any car I do it myself.. just
get a switch panel
wave
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 04:12 AM

I like ARC panels. The ones with real switches, not the funky membrane ones. Fused, printed circuit, reliable, easy to wire and mount. Or you can get good rocker switches and build your own. Everything else I source from somewhere that sells quality components, wire, parts, etc., and build it the way I want. Avoid auto parts store stuff.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 01:27 PM

We have the ARC Flat touch 8000. Very nice setup and super easy to install. Been in two different cars over the past 5 years and still working great!
Posted By: cl440

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 01:27 PM

This

Attached picture model80002-400x290.jpg
Posted By: 301v

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 02:01 PM

K&R for a race car.!

https://www.krperformance.com/index.php?...uh32b38lqugu00l
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 02:49 PM

I agree w/CL440 above. The 8000R is def. the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Beautifully made piece , just bought it for my Daytona. Started putting it in already to replace my old controls. Just a quality product all around
See ya, Ken
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 03:02 PM

I used the K&R kit. Quality product that is affordable and backing it with nice and helpful staff.

Also used these guys for misc things like Deutsch connectors.

https://theelectricaldepot.com/
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 05:17 PM

if you don't already have GOOD electrical tools such as crimpers and picks, now is the time to get them before you start ! i have repaired too many to count wiring jobs because of "elcheepo" tools used to make connections, no matter the quality of the product or harness used.
beer
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 05:22 PM

I am looking at a Ron Francis kit for my car. XP-777 kit. Mopar specific
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 05:36 PM

I have used the Leash Sportsman Boards twice now and really like how they install and work - one thing to consider for a racecar is a common ground buss circuit - front to back - meaning everthing gets grounded to a common ground circuit - nothing is grounded directly to the chassis - that alone stops many of the electrical gremlins.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 05:43 PM

I was looking at a Speedwire kit for my car but wow it is like $2100.00 for everything with switch panel, timers & controller for muitliple stages of nitrous.
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 05:54 PM

spagetti menders
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 06:02 PM

Some good stuff here....Mine has been farmerized! wrench
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By tboomer
....Mine has been farmerized! wrench

hope the "farmer" that did it is better than some of the "farmers" that have done jobs i have fixed ! stirthepot ...... biggrin
beer
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/20/18 07:31 PM

Buy the tools and learn to assembly a good terminal connector system of you choice. Weatherpak or Deutsch. Weatherpak at a minimum. Deutsch is good but pricier. Looks better, works better.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/21/18 02:33 AM

Speedwire...
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Rewiring a race car, who's wiring kit? - 09/21/18 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Buy the tools and learn to assembly a good terminal connector system of you choice. Weatherpak or Deutsch. Weatherpak at a minimum. Deutsch is good but pricier. Looks better, works better.

Deutsch is the way to go. For a race car, is rather make my own harness. You can make exactly what you need/want.

Attached picture IMG_7351.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums