Moparts

Front coil over spring rate?

Posted By: mopar97

Front coil over spring rate? - 09/08/18 05:31 PM

Hello y’all
I am trying to get some weight and adjustability in the front of my B Body drag car. I hope this group can help me.
I have Magnum Force Upper control arms and HDK bolt on upper coil over mounts.
I have lots of shocks set up for coil over mounts from my dirt track days and I want to use those if possible. Easy ups, hold downs, 50-50, etc...I have the QA1 shock specs from HDK so I’m good as far as compressed/ extended lengths so I’m good there, but I do not think 3 in travel is enough for what I want to do. What I I need help/ advise with is a beginning spring rating. I want to know what spring I need to get stock ride height.
Does anyone know a starting weight rating, or a usable calculator? I have done a google search for a conversion calculation but evidently I am not smart enough to use them.

My thoughts are to remove the torsion bars and use the shocks/ coil overs to tune the front rise/ fall rates without changing ride heights. It’s worth a try I think.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: dart440_72

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/08/18 06:17 PM

I'm not sure on a chart. I have an HDK k member with Summit brand coil overs. I went with the recommended 450# springs. It's great on the street. I spoke with Denny not to long ago. He recommended 300# springs for my Dart. I haven't put them on yet though. I would give Denny a call and see what he says.

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/08/18 11:44 PM

Thank you! What part number Summit Coil over?
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/08/18 11:46 PM

What does your front weigh?

Ive #350 on my a body coil over car, #300 was a no go if you still drive on the street and have a pan or trans pan within 2 inches of the road.

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 05:20 AM

It’s a full body with fiberglass hood, fenders, and bumper but it still has the inner fenders. I don’t think it’s lost over 100 lbs. 350 bottoms out so the 450 May be the way to go?
Thank you
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 02:35 PM

I would go with the softest spring that won't coil bind at any part of travel. Then control the rate of rise or compression with shocks.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 02:39 PM

I run 450 on my Cuda with a MF kit....I switched to Viking shocks with longer extension to allow more travel.

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By mopar97
Thank you! What part number Summit Coil over?

Mine are part number SUM-G773601

I'm an A body though

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
What does your front weigh?

Ive #350 on my a body coil over car, #300 was a no go if you still drive on the street and have a pan or trans pan within 2 inches of the road.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have 300# waiting in my garage to put on. Is weight transfer better with the 350#'s
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 04:24 PM

The heavier the spring, the stiffer the suspension. Lower pressure springs will give you quicker weight transfer, but will bottom out faster when street driving.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
The heavier the spring, the stiffer the suspension. Lower pressure springs will give you quicker weight transfer, but will bottom out faster when street driving.

Exactly...The spring has to be compressed to store the energy...
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/09/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By Dragula
Originally Posted By sgcuda

Exactly...The spring has to be compressed to store the energy...

True. Lighter springs will have to be compressed more to support a given amount of weight at a given ride height. This makes the suspension more "lively", stores energy in the spring and helps with separation. A good DA shock is needed to control the suspension when going this route, front or rear.

Re: Front coil over spring rate? - 09/10/18 02:54 AM

Thanx for the assistance..
© 2024 Moparts Forums