Moparts

O ring the heads or the block?

Posted By: RapidRobert

O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 07:32 AM

360 race app. iron EQ mag aftermarket heads/OE stock block. which would you recommend I have O ringed? any thoughts on wire dia/groove depth to give to the machinist? thank you for your time.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 12:44 PM

Unless your boosting it, I don't see a reason to O ring it.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 03:23 PM

I’ll go with “neither”.

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:00 PM

OK, these gaskets that I would like to use are SCE solid copper .021" #069062 (an old #, has been superceded but same part). SCE insisted that I 0 ring it but I would be overjoyed if I could go together "as is". Your thoughts please. both decks are flat.

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:21 PM

You’ll have to decide if you really need the added trouble and expense to o-ring the heads/block to use copper gaskets on a low output 2bbl 9:1 build.

If you deem it necessary, you can o-ring either. Many machine shops can cut o-ring grooves in a block with their boring machines.
Most can’t do it to the heads.
Which way you go might be decided by what you can get done locally.

I can’t imagine any scenario where I would go to that trouble for that build.

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:38 PM

Quote:
I can’t imagine any scenario where I would go to that trouble for that build.
I'm starting to smile. this will be a ~30 minute racing duration. Dwayne before I hit my "quota" tell me this, what should I use for cement on it (if anything) & I do have some spray Hylomar? I had called SCE way back on this & they said Indian head, the brush on then yesterday they said absolutely O ring it. thank you again.

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:45 PM

I guess I’m not being clear.

I wouldn’t be using the copper gaskets or the o-rings.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:49 PM

I think what Fast is saying is don't use the copper head gaskets or the o-rings. There are better choices for your application. It would probably cost less to buy some cometics than to o-ring it.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By GomangoCuda
I think what Fast is saying is don't use the copper head gaskets or the o-rings. There are better choices for your application. It would probably cost less to buy some cometics than to o-ring it.

He beat me to it..
Posted By: ProSport

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:54 PM

I had one block with o-rings, I thought it was a pain. I ended up pulling the rings out and threw some regular felpro gaskets on it.
I was probably doing something wrong or my surfaces weren't flat.
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:57 PM

Cometics? Race app is kinda generic. Boosted? Hi comp? As Dwayne stated why use copper at all? Specifics would be helpful.
Posted By: 590 Challenger

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 04:59 PM

If you use the copper gaskets you have to O ring, O rings are a pain. You don't need to spend the time or the money to O ring yours, just buy Cometics and be done. I just O ringed mine but it's because I'm stepping up to 45 pounds of boost

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/08/18 05:17 PM

Quote:
Specifics would be helpful.
understood, 360 iron OE block/EQ iron heads. block milled flat/heads (new) checked flat 9-1 SCR (class rules) 2bbl. ~6200 RPM max circle track races of ~30 minutes duration in the features. I can't get quench (.111" down) but I wanna get close to the SCR limit & start useing some of my hoard of parts. EDIT I read the above posts & good point that 0 ringing (a shop quoted $150 aways back) would be more than some gaskets would be.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 12:53 AM

There is another option that I have experience with, on a big block anyway.

SCE titan copper gasket. This gasket is made for smooth, non oring deck. The gasket has embossed sealant for the water, and oil passages. Also has a thin stainless oring embedded radially in the edge of the bore. When the pressure reaches a point high enough to start lifting the head the material around the oring expands like a v on its side, to keep it sealed.

I've been running a pair of these at just under 1700hp for a while now, with water, and no issues yet.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 01:49 AM

If you are going to o ring the engine, at least do it correctly.

You o ring both the block and the heads. The wire goes in the heads and the groove in the block is a receiver groove.

Over the years I've seen this done wrong so many times is just plain stupid. You o ring both.

If a machine shop tells you that you don't need both GET A NEW SHOP.

Also, if you were my customer I'd tell you that you don't need much gasket to seal what you are doing. If you need compression, mill the heads and block.

You don't need o rings, especially o rings done wrong.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
360 race app. iron EQ mag aftermarket heads/OE stock block. which would you recommend I have O ringed? any thoughts on wire dia/groove depth to give to the machinist? thank you for your time.

No reason to do it in that application it sounds like.

My KB hemi engines have steel wire tapped into a receiver groove in the cly liners. Then a copper head gasket on top. And there is a receiver groove in the cly head to receive that steel wire and that is how the seal is improved over flat gaskets for hi pressure boosted motor.
Not normally done on cast iron heads.

I'd have to look, but if I remember right if you used a .042' WIRE THEN YOU WANT A .021' deep receiver groove.
I have a hand held tool to groove the top of cyls. Used it to groove new hemi liners.
Posted By: racerx

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By dthemi
There is another option that I have experience with, on a big block anyway.

SCE titan copper gasket. This gasket is made for smooth, non oring deck. The gasket has embossed sealant for the water, and oil passages. Also has a thin stainless oring embedded radially in the edge of the bore. When the pressure reaches a point high enough to start lifting the head the material around the oring expands like a v on its side, to keep it sealed.

I've been running a pair of these at just under 1700hp for a while now, with water, and no issues yet.

dthemi…….are these used on a boosted application?

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 02:57 AM

Alright I think I will forget O ringing & go with what I have (I'm fairly close to 9-1) & call it good. thanks guys for the comprehensive feedback. & Madscientist when I do use em somewhere on down the line I will refer to your post & make sure it is machined/prepped correctly.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 03:00 AM

Yes they are, a roots blown 572 hemi.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 03:08 AM

Copper gaskets, even the embossed ones have there place. Unfortunately for you, its not with your application.

What thickness are you needing?

The .056 std fel pro blue ones would hold fine in your case.

The only time ive had to use copper is when nothing else was made for the application.

You have new heads right, was your block surfaced?
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 03:23 AM

I agree with Mad scientist, no need to o-ring. The SCE Titan gaskets also come with an o-ring in the gasket if you order the titan, I believe. I believe the gasket I used up to 13-1 compression was 1039.
Posted By: racerx

Re: O ring the heads or the block? - 09/09/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By dthemi
Yes they are, a roots blown 572 hemi.

Thaxs …..looking to build a turbo motor , i'll look into this up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums