Moparts

Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank?

Posted By: Jwilli500

Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/23/18 07:26 PM

Thought I'd post this question here since it's more of a performance part. Both Forged 4" stroke with 318/340 mains. It'll be in a Street and strip application making around 450 horses?... The price difference is actually less than $10 so that's a wash. Which would you buy? If it makes difference at all I have a set of K1 H-Beam rods I'll be using in it. Thanks for looking guys!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/23/18 07:30 PM

I've been pleased w/ the Scat products I've used in the past. Very nice stuff for the price.
Never used K1, but have heard they are decent quality also.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/23/18 10:34 PM

Scat makes nice stuff and is still in business. Thats what i would use, and is in a 418 stroker i have in the works
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/23/18 10:59 PM

I beat on my K-1 on my 550ish hp 408 for five years and it held up great, wouldn't hesitate to use another one. IMO either will be fine for your application.

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/24/18 07:33 PM

I really appreciate you guys input! Looks like it may come down to a coin toss. smile Anyone else?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/24/18 07:48 PM

Actually either one will stand more horsepower than your stock block can take.

They were very likely forged at the same plant in China. The only difference is where was the machining done and how picky the QC was.

So you can choose either one because they both are good companies turning out good finished products.

R.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/24/18 08:09 PM

I bought two K1 cranks years ago off of Dan (Performance Only) during a Winter Special he had when the chevy journal cranks became available. I used The K1 crank and K1 rods with upgraded bolts and that assembly was rebuild 3 times over the years and was in need of its forth when it spun a bearing. That engine ran low 9.70's in my Duster and served me well. I will be using the second crank I got from him hopefully this Winter with some more compression, bigger cam, and hopefully run some 9.50's.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/24/18 08:51 PM

I should have been more clear in my original post. Both are perfectly fine.
Scat is still in business, K1 isnt, from my understanding. So only for that reason would i go Scat. Both will do everything you need
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/24/18 08:58 PM

K1-s are sold by wiseco now.

As posted any of these cranks will outlast a oem block, ive been beating a eagle 4.00 forged in my street racer that runs 9.40-s at the track for over 12 years, check the mains every year, have replaced them twice and really didnt need to.

Good block machine work, align bore/hone good caps and go big on the clearances and they all should have a long service life with what we do.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/27/18 07:23 PM

I have a Molnar crank in my low deck and it's a very nice piece. Tom is incredibly knowledgeable and great to deal with also. He was the original owner of K1 and worked for Oliver Rods.

http://www.molnartechnologies.com/cranks-domestic.html

Re: Small Block SCAT Or K1 Forged Crank? - 08/27/18 07:54 PM

Once again, thanks for all the responses guys! I think this is one of the best responses I've gotten to a question in a very long time. I appreciate your experiences. up
© 2024 Moparts Forums