Moparts

Wheels

Posted By: cudatom

Wheels - 07/19/18 06:01 AM

So after 30 yrs its time to update my Cuda. It is currently getting a new cage(chromemoly). It is also time to update the wheels. I will be replacing the autodrags that have been on it since 1988.

I have decided on Billet Specialties Comp 7's. Here is my question. The fronts are available in both 15 and 17". I can get the tire size for either but I like that the 17's are 4.5" wide vs 3.5" for the 15's . Is there any reason not to use the 17's. I know they would have a shorted side wall but other than that is there anything I'm missing.

Thanks.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Wheels - 07/19/18 06:52 AM

As you say,,,,Down Under I could not find a tire with enough side wall for my Cuda Tom, the 17" tires I did find were actually smaller diameter than the 165/80/15's that we normally run so I went back to 15"
Only taller 17" tire was $$$$$ mickey Thompsons ect.
So my advice would be check the diameters, the Cuda has a large wheel opening on the front .
Cheers
Posted By: T-bar

Re: Wheels - 07/19/18 10:08 AM

I have 17" "V" series Weld wheels on my '70 Cuda with 28 x 6 x 17 M/T Sportsman tyres and all works fine. But the only thing with these wheels are the thin spokes especially because of being 17" so other than being real cautious on rough roads or cornering fast it's fine.

Re: Wheels - 07/19/18 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By T-bar
I have 17" "V" series Weld wheels on my '70 Cuda with 28 x 6 x 17 M/T Sportsman tyres and all works fine. But the only thing with these wheels are the thin spokes especially because of being 17" so other than being real cautious on rough roads or cornering fast it's fine.

My Cuda is track only so the spoke size isnt much of a concern.
As for tires I usually run 26 or 27". Mickey, M&H and Hoosier all offer the sizes I like.

I just like the wider rim. Prefer the looks of the 15. I know on my wagon the wider rim really settled it down but it is a heavy pig(4000lb) and my Cuda is 3200-3300 race ready.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Wheels - 07/19/18 05:50 PM

I am a 15" wheel guy on my musclecars. Just my preference but I don't like modern larger dia. wheels on older cars. I went with Weld Magnum 2.0's on my Challenger mainly because I got a steel of a deal on them because everyone hated the gold centers. I blasted the gold anodizing off, polished & added polished ARP 12 point bolts & now they look great.

Attached picture IMG9505671.jpg
Attached picture 100_1674 [640x480].jpg

Re: Wheels - 07/19/18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE
I am a 15" wheel guy on my musclecars. Just my preference but I don't like modern larger dia. wheels on older cars. I went with Weld Magnum 2.0's on my Challenger mainly because I got a steel of a deal on them because everyone hated the gold centers. I blasted the gold anodizing off, polished & added polished ARP 12 point bolts & now they look great.

My rear wheels qill be 15's its just that the fronts are 15x3.5 or I can go 17x4.5. Kind of spit balling on what to do. Eithe will clear my brakes.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Wheels - 07/20/18 12:28 PM

Tom, what wheels are on the front of the car now? I saw it at Dennis's shop several weeks ago, car is beautiful and I really liked the front wheels.

Re: Wheels - 07/20/18 06:29 PM

Those are Weld Woodward RT's. They belong to my youngest sons 94 GT. I had to throw those on because my old Centerlines wouldnt clear the new disc brakes I added.

I had thought of using those but really like Billet Specialties Comp 7's better.

Posted By: ProSport

Re: Wheels - 07/21/18 04:45 PM

Yes, both are very nice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums