Moparts

Nostalgia Funny Car nationals at keystone video added

Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Nostalgia Funny Car nationals at keystone video added - 07/12/18 01:26 PM

Keystone this weekend .. will be there with our 024 omni With 26 other cars. We are shooting for 30 or more.. last year was a great event. It’s saturday .. so if you do come swing by and say hi.....
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/12/18 04:12 PM

Where is PIR? There's a big funny Car race at Keystone this weekend too.

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/12/18 05:24 PM

Yeah that’s what I meant but I brain fart ....

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/12/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By 70dusterjohn

If you get a chance post up a picture of the car. I’m hopefully going to be there if I get a few projects done on my car.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/12/18 06:18 PM

That's one where we let everything sit and go watch. It's worth watching, worth the trip up.

Over 30 good alcohol Nostalgia funny cars will be there, including some from the west coast. I have been to many, many national events since 1967, and the show they put on last year as good and entertaining as any as I've ever seen. Quick moving, no oildowns, one pair right after the other. All close racing. Long burnouts, dry hops. Good stuff.

The finale had the Total Insanity of Chris and Krista Massarella vs the Parts Peddler Cuda, and both ran 7.14s in a great side by side.

If you are not racing, pack a cooler and drive up. It will be worth it. Weather looks great!
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/12/18 07:19 PM

I'm leaving Oh-dark-thirty Saturday morning so I can be there when the gates open. Really looking forward to it!

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/12/18 07:49 PM

Flyer

Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/12/18 07:51 PM

Here is the TV commercial....great promo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htbLLCOvUM4

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals at keystone - 07/13/18 11:33 PM

https://www.facebook.com/KeystoneRaceway...evizjk_LKXZ77Rs
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals at keystone - 07/14/18 05:30 AM

You talked me into it,I'm going to watch!
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/16/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

If you get a chance post up a picture of the car. I’m hopefully going to be there if I get a few projects done on my car.

Agreed,there were a couple Omni bodied cars,Which was yours? And pittsburgracer John,nice job against the rail. Your car looks great launching too! RT

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/16/18 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By RTSrunner
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

Agreed,there were a couple Omni bodied cars,Which was yours? And pittsburgracer John,nice job against the rail. Your car looks great launching too! RT

Thanks. I was fighting a strarting line issue all day between the heat and new tires but we had fun and went a few rounds. John that started this post qualified number one at I think a 7.08 and they lost in the third round final. We were both pretty busy but it was great getting to meet him and the crew and put a face to another Moparts member.

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/16/18 04:24 AM

They put on a terrific program, they really did. 28 funnies, including two that towed in from Californi. And, they looked like real cars! Great value for the buck....even had money to pay the mortgage left over!! Great racing, great, professional program.

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/16/18 06:14 PM

Bret Kepner
3 hrs ·
Well, another incredible Good Vibrations Funny Car Nationals, (the eleventh annual), is in the books. Bakersfield took back the title for 2018 by two cars, (for the first time since 2011), but twenty-seven Funny Cars appeared at Keystone Raceway Park in New Alexandria, Pennsylvania, for the biggest Funny Car meet on the planet OUTSIDE of California. The East-versus-West team challenge wasn’t decided until the twenty-fifth pair of Funny Cars (!) and the crowd saw fifty-two Funny Car runs in three hours prior to the final rounds for the individual championships for fifty-six total passes. I seldom state an opinion online but, to me, this race is the closest representation of a Funny Car event from the 1973-1979 era anywhere on Earth. This program does not present “modern nostalgia” cars. The machines in this race are, in most cases, the ACTUAL Funny Cars which ran more than forty years ago. They look, sound and perform exactly as Funny Cars did in that era and that’s what makes this event different than any other in the sport.

The field included racers hailing from the U.S. and Canada, from New York to California and from Michigan to Florida. The Easterners won the East-versus-West team title bonuses by two round wins...out of twenty-eight rounds! Congratulations to Chris Masserella who won his second straight Funny Car Nationals title at the wheel of his “Total Insanity” ‘77 Monza in the supercharged category by murdering Low Qualifier Bill Wall’s “NitroFlier” ‘79 Dodge Omni with a huge holeshot, 7.03 to a losing 6.87 to win by a mere fifteen thousandths of a second. Frank Bernard’s ‘77 “Poison Arrow” won its fourth Injected Funny Car individual championship in a great 7.97 to 8.03 battle over perennial favorite Willie Johnson in his “No Money, No Funny” ‘69 Nova. Good Vibrations Racing Reaction Time cash award went to Joey Haas who hit a stunning 0.002 RT in his “Nimrod” ‘71 Mustang Mach I. The Round One Burnout Challenge Money from Summit Racing went to Chris Massarella with a 700-footer, (under power), while the Round Two Burnout Challenge from Lightning Motor Oil was earned by Kevin Johnson’s “Quarter Pounder” ‘79 Trans Am with a 600-footer). The event was capped by another amazing twenty-five minute fireworks display courtesy of Keystone Raceway Park.

Speaking of which, track promoter Greg Miller once again provided a fantastic facility and crew as the site of the event for the second year. Greg takes great pride in the track, (and his fireworks show!), and makes the massive crowds feel welcome at every race. Without his fantastic crew, including fifty-year announcing veteran Jim Senkewicz and tower statistician Deanna DeRienzo, the event would never be able to meet the brutal schedule under which it is run. Of course, the Funny Car Nationals would never happen if not for its creator, Dennis Salzwimmer of the Great Lakes Nostalgia Funny Car Circuit, who again turned a year’s worth of preparation into a simply amazing show. This event draws a truly amazing array of photographer talent including the dean of Pittsburgh-area drag racing imagery, Bill Truby, who is always considered a guest of honor. Likewise this race serves as the annual gathering of the fans of DragList.com froma round the country and it is always a huge treat for me to work with one of the greatest people I’ve yet met, my friend Bill Pratt of DragList. I announced this event completely from the starting line much as I do other races and Bill was out there with me for the duration. The entire event was streamed globally by Mark Walter’s Motor Mania TV and can be viewed in archive form. I’ll list the address and the round times in a separate post.

Credit is due all the event sponsors including Peak AntiFreeze, Summit Racing Equipment. Lightning Racing Oil and S&W Race Cars. Classic Carts, LLC, posted cash for Best Appearing Car in the Injected ranks, (Bob Daly Sr. and Junior with there "Nightmare" '74 Mustang II), and the blown category, (The Stambaugh's fabulous "Generation X" '78 Corvette. However, we owe the most to the title sponsor for the umpteenth year, Jim Maher and Good Vibrations Motorsports/Dragparts.com.

I offer my thanks to everybody involved from the dozens of Funny Car teams to the great compliment of sportsman racers to the crew to each and every fan who supported the 11th annual Good Vibrations Funny Car Nationals! See you all next year!

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/16/18 06:48 PM

We broke out lol, ran 7.08 then 6.96, and 6.87 in the final .. all in all was a great night for us and the crew of the Nitroflyer Omni/024 .... it was great meeting John and got to see his car run, it’s a beautiful car and runs good to boot, but I suspect it will be running even better before to long ..

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/17/18 01:00 AM

https://www.facebook.com/100006369009341/posts/2102851579937122/

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/23/18 11:23 AM

Here is the finale round, went 6.87 @ 150. Was well out of it by the 1000ft mark

https://youtu.be/Gg_AdDCnUwY

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/23/18 11:26 AM

This is Second round We went 6.87 @ 147 mph

https://youtu.be/r--Nxs5kZ_Q

Re: Nostalgia Funny Car nationals - 07/23/18 11:31 AM

Wife loves sitting in it when we fire it up..

https://youtu.be/7j4M35d3pk0
© 2024 Moparts Forums