Moparts

BB solid roller lifter

Posted By: Dartski68

BB solid roller lifter - 06/21/18 07:24 PM

I have factory lifter bore has anyone used solid roller lifter by crower 66233?
This lifter is available on shelf in Australia so it's my first choice.

I'm also considering comp lifter 96829 or comp amc 861

Solid roller cam duration 263 on intake @ 0.50 with 650 lift, street use with lighter street spring pressure
Posted By: Old School

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/21/18 08:41 PM

I would not use a needle bearing roller lifter for the street. it would be just a matter of time before it fails and sends tool steel shavings throughout your motor. I only use bushed lifters....
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 01:09 AM

Been running an Isky solid roller on the street for many years and had the rollers rebuilt once at Isky but when I freshon up my motor, bushings are going back in............Good advice....... beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 05:16 AM

How man miles, not KM tsk, are you wanting to operate this motor between changing or rebuilding these lifters?
I put around 3000 street miles on a older set of Crower Ultra solid body needle bearing roller lifters with no issues shifting it at or above 7000 RPM at the track, lots of 1/8 and some 1/4 mile passes each year up

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 12:07 PM

500-1000 miles a year. I will hit the track once a year. The crower available is Not the H hippo oiling version so it only receives splash.
I know some guys ran the comp AMC 848 but it's no longer available and the new part is 861
Posted By: Stanton

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 03:38 PM

Quote:
I would not use a needle bearing roller lifter for the street. it would be just a matter of time before it fails and sends tool steel shavings throughout your motor. I only use bushed lifters....

Hmmm ... at the Indy Mopar show I asked the Crane rep about using the bushed versus needle bearing lifters on the street. I always figured it would be a better alternative too. He TOTALLY disagreed saying the bushed lifters would not hold up under low rpm use. Part of the reason being that the bushing is solid bronze, not sintered - which couldn't take the beating of a lifter. Therefore it doesn't retain lube and would just burn up. The needle bearing on the other hand would retain some lube in the space between the rollers.

As to the OP's question, with a stock, unbushed lifter bore you need a lifter that has the roller wheel shrouded, otherwise it will expose the oil galley at high lift. I don't know about the lifters you're looking at but the Crane 66550 lifter meets the criteria.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:

Hmmm ... at the Indy Mopar show I asked the Crane rep about using the bushed versus needle bearing lifters on the street. I always figured it would be a better alternative too. He TOTALLY disagreed saying the bushed lifters would not hold up under low rpm use. Part of the reason being that the bushing is solid bronze, not sintered - which couldn't take the beating of a lifter. Therefore it doesn't retain lube and would just burn up. The needle bearing on the other hand would retain some lube in the space between the rollers.

As to the OP's question, with a stock, unbushed lifter bore you need a lifter that has the roller wheel shrouded, otherwise it will expose the oil galley at high lift. I don't know about the lifters you're looking at but the Crane 66550 lifter meets the criteria.

I use the isky Red Zone EZ Max bushed lifters. They don't use a bronze bushing. I have ruined three of my Street Motors using needle bearing roller lifters. It's never a matter of oiling. The problem is spring pressure. With needle bearings, only two or three of the bearings carry the full load, all the other ones are just along for the ride. It's just a matter of not enough surface area to carry the load......
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 03:47 PM

It would be interesting to know what the ratio is between needle bearing vs bushing, of the roller lifters that have failed on Drag Week.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 09:28 PM

Quote:
EZ Max bushed lifters. They don't use a bronze bushing.

Well do they or don't they ??

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/22/18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
[quote]EZ Max bushed lifters. They don't use a bronze bushing.

Well do they or don't they ??
[/quote

They don't call it Bronze. It might have some in it you could call isky to find out......

Attached picture Screenshot_20180622-155212.png
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/23/18 01:25 AM

Just that tiny error in "applications": here is the corrected list
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure
High spring pressure

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/23/18 02:08 AM

Isky needle roller bearing lifter 3672-RH
Has anyone used in stock lifter bore
Im planning to use on a Street solid roller cam with lighter spring pressure
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/23/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By Old School

I use the isky Red Zone EZ Max bushed lifters. They don't use a bronze bushing. I have ruined three of my Street Motors using needle bearing roller lifters.

How much spring pressure do you run on the street? How much driving do you do on the street?
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/23/18 06:16 AM

I have Comp 829's in both of my .660-.690 roller motors. I have an extra set so I send them back to Comp for a check and renew/replace. I have had 1 roller lifter issue in the 16 years I have ran these. Broke the guide bar somehow. shruggy Wiped the cam of course. I needed a bigger one anyway... whistling I swap them out in the race car about 250-300 passes along with the inter. gear. The ones in my Dart were a renew set and have been flawless for about 2 years of beat runs to the store and the occasional car show or something. I would go with the Crowers Dartski68 and not think twice about it.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/23/18 09:19 AM

Thanks for posts
About 500 miles a year on street
Springs 210 seat & 550 open

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/23/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By PorkyPig

I use the isky Red Zone EZ Max bushed lifters. They don't use a bronze bushing. I have ruined three of my Street Motors using needle bearing roller lifters.

How much spring pressure do you run on the street? How much driving do you do on the street?

On mine I am about 260 seat 785 open. I drive only a couple thousand miles a year.....
Posted By: BradH

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/24/18 10:44 PM

On mine I am about 260 seat 785 open. I drive only a couple thousand miles a year.....

If you need almost 800#s open pressure, you're probably not running a cam that I would consider for a "street motor". No wonder your lifters didn't hold up.

Yeah, you drive it on the street, but you're not really building it with any realistic expectations of longer-term durability.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/24/18 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By BradH

If you need almost 800#s open pressure, you're probably not running a cam that I would consider for a "street motor". No wonder your lifters didn't hold up.

Yeah, you drive it on the street, but you're not really building it with any realistic expectations of longer-term durability.

All of that above, is correct.... up
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/25/18 03:32 PM

I have Isky Red Zone solid roller lifters 3472-RH in my hemi. They have needle bearings and were bought in 2006. They didn't offer the bushed lifters back then or that's what I would have gotten. I've sent them back for a check-up twice since then, once in '08, last time in '12. Didn't need anything so back in they went.
My cam has mild lobes and doesn't need a lot of spring pressure...220# closed, 600# open.
I'll be stepping up to a much stronger spring soon, possibly a new cam, and will be sending these lifters back to Isky for yet another check up. I'll evaluate what is needed then.

My KB block has no pressurized lifter oiling. They just get splash and drainback oil. Like said earlier, oiling is rarely the issue w/ lifter failure...it's spring pressure.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/25/18 04:05 PM

[/quote]I use the isky Red Zone EZ Max bushed lifters. They don't use a bronze bushing. I have ruined three of my Street Motors using needle bearing roller lifters. It's never a matter of oiling. The problem is spring pressure. With needle bearings, only two or three of the bearings carry the full load, all the other ones are just along for the ride. It's just a matter of not enough surface area to carry the load...... [/quote]

^ this....the same reason I run the same lifters in my combo. Zero issues so far.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/25/18 05:09 PM

Just FYI...Just got an email back from Isky saying my old style needle bearing Red Zone lifters can be converted to solid bushings for less than half the price of a set of new ones.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/25/18 05:18 PM

Chip, if you go that route...... get the upgraded “speedway” bushings.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/25/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
Chip, if you go that route...... get the upgraded “speedway” bushings.

OK, I was quoted $650 for the EZX upgrade up to 900 psi spring pressure and $720 for the EZMAX upgrade for over 900 psi and/or supercharged/turbo applications.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/25/18 06:55 PM

I think the speedway bushings hold up better when you only have splash oiling.

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/25/18 07:57 PM

I would get the highest upgrade they have! up
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: BB solid roller lifter - 06/28/18 05:08 PM

Last season I rebuilt a set of Comp 869s for the 3rd time.1 lifter had to be replaced with the superceded lifter.Even though the the link bar is at a different height it was not an issue.I have gone upwards of 8k miles on a rebuild which was close to 10k miles.640ish lift with 560 over the nose.
545 inch blown hemi that makes the track 4 or 5 times a year if I'm lucky.

Attached picture 7.18.17 019.jpg
Attached picture 34645096_10155854025814620_169307533498908672_n.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums