Moparts

BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!!

Posted By: Anonymous

BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 12:59 AM

Mopar has discontinued big block crank bolts and washers--
yea I know ARP makes a $30 one
I need you guys to gather up all you can scrounge and call Todd at Marsh Performance / Moparts Connection ( sponsor here)
he needs all he can get for current engine projects--
I got a few rounded up today but he really needs as many as he can get as he supplies a few other builders --it is just a matter of these small items holding up production

Everybody look and then call Todd 336 283 0800
Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: amxautox

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 02:17 AM

what bolts?

damper or flywheel/flexplate bolts?

I have 2 damper bolts and washers that I'll never need. 400/440 engines.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 02:33 AM

He's talking damper bolt & washer. I can buy harden bolts & washers all day long form my bolt supplier.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 03:57 AM

3/4-16 G8 bolt in the correct length for your application/balancer. Have some around here.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
3/4-16 G8 bolt in the correct length for your application/balancer. Have some around here.
I'm thinking the stock BB dampener bolt 3/4x16 length is 1.25 under head or so scope
I buy them by the dozen from my bolt shop up scope
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 05:36 AM

Tractor supply sells them by the pound
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 06:53 AM

Yes thank you for all the sage advice. I appreciate all the response. I am aware of all the fine bolts available from the hardware folks.
Kind regards
Todd
Posted By: A/MP

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 04:33 PM

Go to Bolt Depot and there is another FMW Fasteners. Buy one or buy the box. Reasonable pricing. FMW also has a high quality thick washers too.

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By A/MP
Go to Bolt Depot and there is another FMW Fasteners. Buy one or buy the box. Reasonable pricing. FMW also has a high quality thick washers too.

I think by the responce in the post above yours that he would rather have stock bolts shipped to him.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 06:19 PM

Well it is like this.
I have known Crabman for almost 20 years. Yesterday I call him up and we are yacking about all the stuff that Mopar has killed off or is overpriced. Much like the conversations on the board. The short crank bolts were twenty bucks and have now been discontinued. I asked him that if he had any (he has tons of stuff laying around) I could use them or if he might have another source with a part number so I could order me about 25 or so. (I use a lot and sell them as well). That post was his way of trying to help me out. I honestly do not need anyone sending me bolts but I appreciate the thoughts. He was trying to help. I only wanted a part number to buy new ones but also to make sure they are made of the correct material. Nobody, ever thinks about torquing the crank bolts. (mostly because they do not have a torque wrench big enough. Calculate the actual torque needed to CORRECTLY torque an ARP crank bolt with the right preload and stretch.
Todd

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 07:49 PM

Is a G8 or L9 not a good choice for some reason? Is the ARP piece more desirable? Serious question.

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 08:16 PM

Is a G8 or L9 not a good choice for some reason? Is the ARP piece more desirable? Serious question.

It wouldn't have the antiquing looks from 40 years of beating on it with an inpact wrench. LOL
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 08:16 PM

I don’t think the factory used anything special for bolts in that application.

In the MP engine manual, the specified TQ for the damper bolt is 135lbs.

The standard torque for lubed threads on a grade 2 fine thread 3/4-16 bolt is 144lbs.

The standard torque for grade 5 and 8 bolts are way higher.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 08:22 PM

If I need a replacement I just get a regular grade 8 bolt after verifying proper engagement and overall length.

I don't believe that stock bolt from 1958 is any kind of high tech whiz bang space age material.

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 08:47 PM

I was just wondering if I had missed something. I've seen plenty of high end engines with a gold zinc G8 bolt in the crank. The 1 1/8" hex size is also handier than that 1 1/4" head.

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

It wouldn't have the antiquing looks from 40 years of beating on it with an inpact wrench. LOL

Patina is big these days.
Posted By: merpar

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 10:02 PM

Call 440 Source, they have what you need in a limited supply
Posted By: rowin4

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 10:04 PM

Even though I have been assembling engines for more than 40 years , never had one.
Who had a impact 40 years ago? It hasn't been that long ago maybe 5 years that I got one.

Re: BiG Block Crank Bolts Help!!!!! - 06/20/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By rowin4

Even though I have been assembling engines for more than 40 years , never had one.
Who had a impact 40 years ago? It hasn't been that long ago maybe 5 years that I got one.

What. Heck I still have a cheapie set of impac sockets that I paid 25.00 for that are 40 years old. And my son and I use our tools more than most. My S&K socket sets are over 46 years old.
© 2024 Moparts Forums